What is the hardest fish to keep in this hobby?

pasquale petrovia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moorish Idol is tough. I lost 3 over 34 years. Longest living 2 years. I just got one 2 months ago and he eats like a champ. Bug bites and LRS. Keeping fingers crossed.

Sharkattackmack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a weird problem with Helfrichi fish. They disappear and never return. Tank has a top and nothing that would eat them.
had the same issue with this a few months back. our first one lasted between 1-2 months. one day we noticed it had a rip in one of its fins. next day it couldnt swim properly and our cuc " took care of it". my girlfriend was crushed so 3 days late i bought her another. came into the tank, looked like it was covered in ich and died within 2-4 days of us getting it.

OP
OP
Andreas' Reef

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
had the same issue with this a few months back. our first one lasted between 1-2 months. one day we noticed it had a rip in one of its fins. next day it couldnt swim properly and our cuc " took care of it". my girlfriend was crushed so 3 days late i bought her another. came into the tank, looked like it was covered in ich and died within 2-4 days of us getting it.
I have a problem with firefish too. 1 died because my clownfish starved him and hogged all the food. I have one and he eats like a complete champ.

david613

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me personally, the Blue Spot Jawfish has been impossible. We have a cover on our tank and everything and 2 have managed to Free Willy their way across the room 10 ft away. :(
Ive heard they need lower temperature than your typical reef when its to hot for them they try to jump

squidsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have purchased 5. One arrived emaciated and died in 3 days. The other 4 were thin on arrival but all started eating Masstick the day I received them (shipped overnight). Did you try Masstick?
I've had a pair for a few months now eating Masstick and Nori! +1 on feeding them Masstick because they seriously cannot get enough! When I put my hands in the tank my female OSFF nips at my fingers until I put a bit of Masstick on the glass!

Here's a video of the pair eating off the glass:

halfmoon61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different for all, I have an Idol, Zanclus cornutus, that is 6yrs now and never kept a blue chromis more than a year. For me, the Chromis cyanea, should be left in the ocean.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my blue ribbon eel for nearly 3 years ...but I agree that this is one of the hardest to keep. They definitely need a place to live within the tank to feel secure. I had a custom made eel cave madd and of course he just had to pick the ugly pvc pipe with a few openings that I put together ‍♂️

I would also say a regal angel (if anyone has one eating to rehome or knows of one let me know)
You have a gorgeous tank and he's a real beauty!! That's funny about the PVC pipe! Just like young kids preferring to play with the boxes at Christmas rather than the toys inside them. :-D

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have purchased 5. One arrived emaciated and died in 3 days. The other 4 were thin on arrival but all started eating Masstick the day I received them (shipped overnight). Did you try Masstick?
Wow, beautiful fish and tank! I love seeing pics of everyone's tanks.

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me personally and surprisingly I've had a heck of a time trying to keep threadfin cardinals alive. They seem to not do very well with shipping and don't survive very long.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious as to where you were able to buy a group?? I would like to try my luck .
Reefbeauties.com

I initially purchased 3 hoping at least 1 or 2 would make it. I ended up with all 3 males doing great. 6-7 months later I ordered 2 additional requesting females. One of the two they sent was in terrible condition and didn’t make it. The other is doing great.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome to hear! Now if someone could breed them and make sure they won’t destroy my acros I’ll get a pair haha
I would have thought masstick would entice them to eat but would lack some things that they get from coral polyps.
I do have some SPS in the tank. They peck at it, but don’t seem to damage them. They do bother them enough that I almost never see polyp extension. I believe it has been learned that what their actual natural food source is the mucus from the polyps. So they don’t eat the coral or the polyps, just kinda suck off the mucus.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a pair for a few months now eating Masstick and Nori! +1 on feeding them Masstick because they seriously cannot get enough! When I put my hands in the tank my female OSFF nips at my fingers until I put a bit of Masstick on the glass!

Here's a video of the pair eating off the glass:

I think it helps that they can peck at it over time as well. They naturally would eat tiny amounts almost constantly, so a food source that doesn’t disappear after 10 minutes seems to keep them happy.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 171 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back