What is this? Algae ?

mtealeaves

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 29, 2025
Messages
33
Reaction score
13
Location
Knoxville
What state or country do you live in
Tennessee
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a new but cycled tank. Looking at the stringy things on the bottom of the rock. Parameters are good (I don't have noticable algae elsewhere). It's on a live rock that I got from someone who had there tank setup for years. I currently only have hermits for cleanup crew. If this is algae should then is it time for some snails?

Thank you!
1000005741.jpg


1000005741.jpg
 
Photos under white lights?
 
Upvote 0
Definitely need pics under white lighting. Hard to tell anything with all that blue.
 
Upvote 0
This is a new but cycled tank. Looking at the stringy things on the bottom of the rock. Parameters are good (I don't have noticable algae elsewhere). It's on a live rock that I got from someone who had there tank setup for years. I currently only have hermits for cleanup crew. If this is algae should then is it time for some snails?
1000005746.jpg

Thank you!
1000005741.jpg


1000005741.jpg
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20250903_203713363.TS.mp4
    4.3 MB
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I don't recognize it off-hand. It does not look like hydroids to me though. I don't think i would be overly worried with it though, it doesn't look like anything invasive or harmful that I have seen.
 
Upvote 0
I have that stuff in my tank. Tends to stick to shadows and undersides of rockwork. I'm fairly certain it's not harmful - seems to be a filter feeder of some sort.
 
Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 35.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new