What is wrong with my foxface?

FizxVix3n

Feb2018 1st SW tank - BC29
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I originally thought that it may be a scrape from running into some rock.....it's been there a couple days now though and I haven't seen much change. Hopefully it's not an infection!!

Poor baby :( I hope he’s ok... I’m sorry I can’t add any helpful advice but I’ll follow along to learn! Good luck!!

Reef Stu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Nori from the grocery store... i’ve never had a problem in three years. I usually tear one sheet in half, and roll it like a cigar. Then I fold it in half so it’s about 2 1/2 to 3 inches long, and Put it in my food clip. The reason I do this is because I find less of the sheet tears off and floats away. My 3 fish usually consume it in a few hours.

miyags

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I originally thought that it may be a scrape from running into some rock.....it's been there a couple days now though and I haven't seen much change. Hopefully it's not an infection!!
Try some selcon soaked nori.If it seems ok might just need a little more time.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was the damage coming directly or has it developed by time?
Has the damage have this colour for the whole time (the greyish)

The first impression I get is that it is a mechanical damage. It can develop in a secondary bacteria infektion - but its not sure it will do that. However - its not sure that the scales will grow out again and the fish will have blackish spots for the rest of its life.

I would also look at the puffer and see what he/her is doing when he/she thinks you don´t se them :) They are tricky.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
Chris Van Daele

Chris Van Daele

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The damage seemed to appear all at once. I will keep an eye on it and post updates as I see them.
If this is a bacteria infection should he be removed from the tank so the other fish don't get infected? As previously mentioned I have not noticed anything wrong with the other fish in the tank.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have what might possibly be a dumb question... is the nori at the LFS the same nori you can get from the grocery store? Does the LFS type include additional vitamins or maybe not include something you’d might get with the sushi grade nori? Thanks and I’m sorry if I missed the obvious!

Nori purchased from an Asian food store or regular grocery store is fine to use. Just be sure it lists, "Seaweed" and NOTHING ELSE under Ingredients. Sometimes it will say "toasted" or "roasted" seaweed; that is fine as well. You just don't want to buy any nori with spices/flavors/coloring added to it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like a little aggression (and vitamin deficiency). It needs its' greens as it is a grazer, and add vitamins to its' food source and nori or seaweed is a good supplement in addition to Mysis shrimp , brine shrimp, blends such as LRS or Rods Foods are great protein /filler foods

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I feed. I used to buy the Nori in the Asian section at the supermarket, but it gets expensive. It was like $3 for 5 sheets.

My foxface, tang, and angel eat as much of this as I can put in.

Bulk Green Seaweed for Fish - Extra Large Sheets (5.10 Oz Approx.) - Stays Intact Longer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B011VX8PHY?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a good question, I was also wondering that! I also seem to see very conflicting advice on how much/often to feed your fish. I have seen everything from 3-4 times a day to not even feeding them every day. Another issue I find with my fish is some are more aggressive eaters than others so some are getting fat while others like my foxface are a bit on the skinny side

I have 2 Foxfaces in my tank. They are classified as herbivores, meaning they mainly eat veggies and algae. In my experience, while they are classified as herbivores, they act more like omnivores that will eat both meaty and algae based foods. But to keep them healthy, they should have a primary diet of algae. That should be their main food, with mysis or similar food as a supplement.

What I find works best with algae sheets, and creates less of a mess in your tank, is to take the sheets of algae and tear them up into flake food size pieces and drop them in. The foxface LOVES algae sheets. And when it's floating on the surface it's easy to eat in bite size pieces. If you put a sheet in on a holder, the foxface usually rips the sheet apart and you'll have the pieces everywhere. The puffer will also eat the algae, but its tough for them to eat off the surface.

TheShrimpMeister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use "two little fishies' brand, sea vegies. It's basically three different coloured types of small nori wafers, really good stuff.

reefndude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy nori from the grocery store. My foxface will eat anything but prefers the greens. If I put nori and add frozen at the same time he usually picks at the nori mostly. If I add frozen with no nori in the tank he goes crazy over the frozen

OP
OP
Chris Van Daele

Chris Van Daele

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I think the damage was caused by one of my clowns as he has gotten very aggressive recently. The foxface has since healed up nicely!

Milktooth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have experienced this just in the last week with my foxface except that it has occurred symmetrically on his upper flanks. That leads me to believe it is probably more of a nutritional problem than one of conflicts with cohabitants. I have not yet taken a good picture but see below.
20180319_184019.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back