OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6A9CCB5D-AD32-4C05-AFE7-7BDD5145064B.jpeg

SPS isnt looking to hot - is this because of the cyano?

brittp21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m combining the double dose with reefroids and I think I see some improvement
I have a 20 gallon waterbox. I just got rid of Dinos! The reason I had them is because I let my nitrate and phosphate bottom out. what I did was bought the hanna nitrate high range & ultra low range phosphate checkers. The salifert ones are hard to read & I could never get a detectable reading with the phosphate one. I checked my phosphates and nitrates everyday & made sure they were at detectable levels! Phosphates (.05 -.08) nitrates as long as It was over 5 that was good to me! I also got uv AuqaShield 9 Watt UV Sterilizer/Clarifier (Desktop) - from Innovative Marine. it was to small for the overflow box but I stuffed filter floss behind it to make it fit. I got a smart plug and put the sterilizer on a timer 12 hours on 12 off. I would run the uv at night and when the uv went off I would dose macrobacter 7 every morning. I also brush the rocks & I used a old filter sock and put it on hose and siphon the Dinos out the tank everyday. & I also got more snails & crabs. I can say after months of dealing with a ugly tank i'm officially Dinos free. It's a lot of work to do everyday lol but it deff worked for me!

oh & I FORGOT TO MENTION I changed my light schedule! they only run for 6 hours

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gallon waterbox. I just got rid of Dinos! The reason I had them is because I let my nitrate and phosphate bottom out. what I did was bought the hanna nitrate high range & ultra low range phosphate checkers. The salifert ones are hard to read & I could never get a detectable reading with the phosphate one. I checked my phosphates and nitrates everyday & made sure they were at detectable levels! Phosphates (.05 -.08) nitrates as long as It was over 5 that was good to me! I also got uv AuqaShield 9 Watt UV Sterilizer/Clarifier (Desktop) - from Innovative Marine. it was to small for the overflow box but I stuffed filter floss behind it to make it fit. I got a smart plug and put the sterilizer on a timer 12 hours on 12 off. I would run the uv at night and when the uv went off I would dose macrobacter 7 every morning. I also brush the rocks & I used a old filter sock and put it on hose and siphon the Dinos out the tank everyday. & I also got more snails & crabs. I can say after months of dealing with a ugly tank i'm officially Dinos free. It's a lot of work to do everyday lol but it deff worked for me!

oh & I FORGOT TO MENTION I changed my light schedule! they only run for 6 hours
Yeah I think my UV sterilizer's bulb already went out, but I think my dino's are gone and at this point I'm fighting cyano, would dosing bacteria along with phosphates and nitrates fix the cyano? Also I might just try dosing some vibrant and see what that might do....

brittp21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I think my UV sterilizer's bulb already went out, but I think my dino's are gone and at this point I'm fighting cyano, would dosing bacteria along with phosphates and nitrates fix the cyano? Also I might just try dosing some vibrant and see what that might do....
i'm not an expert lol. Im pretty new to the hobby. i'm pretty sure it would. also making sure you have enough flow in the tank to if its Cyano. When I thought I had Cyano and It was Dinos chemiclean didn't work at all for me because its not for Dinos. I bought a cheap microscope from amazon to see what kind of Dinos I had. That made it easier to come up with a plan to get rid of it.

Last edited:

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to watch that because stuff like microbacter reduces phosphate and nitrates so your going against what your trying to accomplish. This is not an easy fix. Get your numbers up and see how things are in a month.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would dosing bacteria along with phosphates and nitrates fix the cyano? Also I might just try dosing some vibrant and see what that might do....
Yes, others and myself included have recommended Microbacter 7. Would not call it a quick fix. Just a move in the right direction. Good Bactria to help outcompete the bad. Cyano is a bacteria.

Turn your lights out for 3 or 4 days. This will kill off some of the cyano because it needs light to thrive. After the light out, do a good water change and suck out all the dying cyano. Vacuum your sand bed real well.
Dose some good bacteria, MB7, to help outcompete the cyano. Turn off your skimmer for a few hrs after adding bacteria.

I’ve beat Dino and cyano in my tank. Doing the above.
CB4B508E-C022-498E-B8FF-C883DF9CFEAC.jpeg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back