Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1AD78897-5F1D-4239-B289-1351B73FCD03.jpeg
093AFE7D-2DF2-4DB5-98EE-97336F9E14D3.jpeg
EAECCB24-C72E-4C6D-BD4C-6C8FAE7CF057.jpeg

Some of my sps are turning white and loses polyps what do I do???? Is this bleaching or are they completely dying!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS are difficult to work with if your tank is new. Once you have coraline algae growing throughout the tank then you know you are ready for SPS. Recheck all your parameters and see if your light intensity and duration is suitable for your SPS corals. What is your par readings for your tank? Keep up weekly water changes.

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS are difficult to work with if your tank is new. Once you have coraline algae growing throughout the tank then you know you are ready for SPS. Recheck all your parameters and see if your light intensity and duration is suitable for your SPS corals. What is your par readings for your tank? Keep up weekly water changes.
AI Hydra 52 and everything was fine with them 1-2 months ago so. Will post params tonight

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AI Hydra 52 and everything was fine with them 1-2 months ago so. Will post params tonight
Hydra 52, your tank is a 20 gallon right? What intensity are running the Hydra? Might be cooking those coral.

SPS are difficult to work with if your tank is new.
SPS are just difficult. Lol one of my tanks is 7 years and I still have trouble with SPS!

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydra 52, your tank is a 20 gallon right? What intensity are running the Hydra? Might be cooking those coral.

SPS are just difficult. Lol one of my tanks is 7 years and I still have trouble with SPS!
Running at like 40% intensity for like 6 hours a day they used to be on full blast and everything was fine, and yeah my tank is a 25 gal tank. All the SPS are randomly bleaching/dying. I’ll post the params and my light schedule when I get to my computer today

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm not even going to try them until I see a lot of coraline forming in the tank.

attiland

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ton of cyano building up on my sand bed and my corals. What can I do to combat this problem along with the Dino's I am still fighting. Cyano builds up on my corals everyday....

The cyano/dinos are also definitely taking a toll on my corals, I might just need to nuke it with some chemiclean
Use chemiclean. Works and your cyano will be gone o 3 days.
1AD78897-5F1D-4239-B289-1351B73FCD03.jpeg
093AFE7D-2DF2-4DB5-98EE-97336F9E14D3.jpeg
EAECCB24-C72E-4C6D-BD4C-6C8FAE7CF057.jpeg

Some of my sps are turning white and loses polyps what do I do???? Is this bleaching or are they completely dying!
The thing is you had Dinos than cyano to be honest your chances are small anyway in a 2 month old tank.

knowing this is going on for a while here is what I would do.
1 kill the cyano with chemiclean. It may come back later but in me experience cyano come every time when the balance in parameters are changing too quickly. And your tank had quite a bit of that.

2 get your parameters Ca /mg/alk no3 and po4 in check. if you still have corals after they may come back.

3 forget vibrant and microbacter 7 for a while. Due to the nature of your problems they will not solve them but likely make if your want dose bacterial products use Fauna Marin ReBiotic Will help with dinos and cyano too.

4. Don’t do any more blackouts the corals you have are stressed enough. Blow off the cyano of them every time you walk by the tank. Keep them clean.

5 once your cyano gone you will see nitrate and phosphate spike. For now use water changes.

6 for now don’t buy any more corals wait till your tan is more stable

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running at like 40% intensity for like 6 hours a day they used to be on full blast and everything was fine, and yeah my tank is a 25 gal tank. All the SPS are randomly bleaching/dying. I’ll post the params and my light schedule when I get to my computer today
I run my XR15 pros at 38% overall intensity and my tank is 22 inches deep.

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use chemiclean. Works and your cyano will be gone o 3 days.

The thing is you had Dinos than cyano to be honest your chances are small anyway in a 2 month old tank.

knowing this is going on for a while here is what I would do.
1 kill the cyano with chemiclean. It may come back later but in me experience cyano come every time when the balance in parameters are changing too quickly. And your tank had quite a bit of that.

2 get your parameters Ca /mg/alk no3 and po4 in check. if you still have corals after they may come back.

3 forget vibrant and microbacter 7 for a while. Due to the nature of your problems they will not solve them but likely make if your want dose bacterial products use Fauna Marin ReBiotic Will help with dinos and cyano too.

4. Don’t do any more blackouts the corals you have are stressed enough. Blow off the cyano of them every time you walk by the tank. Keep them clean.

5 once your cyano gone you will see nitrate and phosphate spike. For now use water changes.

6 for now don’t buy any more corals wait till your tan is more stable
Just ordered some chemiclean that should be here tomorrow, as for my parameters should I keep my phosphates and nitrates high or keep them lower?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered some chemiclean that should be here tomorrow, as for my parameters should I keep my phosphates and nitrates high or keep them lower?
Nitrates 5 to 10 and phosphate. 03 to .1 is what seems to be the range. I used chemiclean few weeks back. It worked well. You need an airstone in the tank for extra 02 for fish. After 48 hours do the water change and run heavy carbon to get the excess out of the tank. Skimmer will overflow for few days. Take any bio media out before you add chemiclean.

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates 5 to 10 and phosphate. 03 to .1 is what seems to be the range. I used chemiclean few weeks back. It worked well. You need an airstone in the tank for extra 02 for fish. After 48 hours do the water change and run heavy carbon to get the excess out of the tank. Skimmer will overflow for few days. Take any bio media out before you add chemiclean.
Could I just run my skimmer with no cup for extra 02 exchange?

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d scrub all that junk off the rocks with a toothbrush and do a good water change. 4 or 5 gallons. Turn your lights off for 3-4 days. Then suck out all the dying cyano with another 4 gl water change.

DO YOU clean the sand regularly!!! If not then only vacuum 1/4 to 1/2 each time.

Or just RIP clean your tank and call it a day!!
@brandon429 prime candidate for a Rip clean. I tried to help. Getting conflicting advice on how to save his tank.

Just ordered some chemiclean
Wishing you luck with your tank.

The thing is you had Dinos
Dinos were never confirmed.

OP
OP
Chris_Noles

Chris_Noles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew you could it say better than me!!
I’ll revisit this, I had my doubts with chemiclean and I think this would be a better solution to my issue. My only concern is killing off all of the beneficial bacteria. But either way this rip clean will get rid of whatever algae I do have and hopefully save my corals.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock and roll is about to occur

Buddy Holly style

Last edited:

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 55.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back