What is your dream captive-bred fish?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a very great question I believe Frank Baensch was breeding these hybrids a long while ago. His website is a great source for a ton of captive-bred information as he does both in tank spawning and grabbing batches of eggs from wild spawns.

I don't believe any of those are in circulation any longer. I know they are in a protected region and have incredibly limited range so I don't foresee us being able to get them or a resurgence in the industry.
I got the poor man substitute with a harem of African Flameback Angels. They are extremely beautiful

OP
OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where in NC, is it a facility that I could tour ? I live here in NC, would love to experience your success in person.
Unfortunately, all of our facilities are bio-secure and we don't allow the public in. There are some great videos on our Palau and Florida facilities online.

OP
OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You wouldn't happen to be hiring in your US-based facilities at this moment, would you?
Unfortunately, we are not, we recently just filled a sales position at our Florida facility this past week. We usually post opening on our Facebook though if something does open up.

OP
OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, especially species like the red tail tamarin wrasse and achilles tang which dont always have the best track record.

I think it would be interesting to see more CB butterflies also like the prognathodes and roa species too. Species like chrysiptera rapanui, centropyge hotumatoa, chaetodon smithi and Chaetodon litus would be cool to see aquacultured, though i dont know how possible that is.

And more anthias too would be cool. Especially the likes of the tukas and pascalus. Privitera anthias also as theyre kinda rare. And maybe species from the genus tosanoides and rabaulichthys, and never seen species like pseudanthias regalis, but they may not be open for collection either and a market for all those may be limited

Pencil wrasses too, like pseudojuloides atavai and the likes

Thanks for expanding the species of fish captive bred, always interesting to see what you guys do next, and other aquaculture groups.
Tuka Anthias is a great one we've always had our eye on because they are so iconic to Palauan reefs and wild-caught ones are near impossible to keep. We had some minimal success with them but we should grab some more broodstock. We've also had minimal success with square spot anthias but both were held back as F1 spawning groups rather than brought into the aquarium trade.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has anyone ever bred sunburst anthias? those would probably be pretty good since they aren't the most active and can fit in most size tanks and don't need to be in groups

grammas and liopropoma basslets also seem like ideal captive bred fish due to size and popularity. i know you guys breed dejongi and royal grammas, maybe some black caps?

OP
OP
Biota_Marine

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
has anyone ever bred sunburst anthias? those would probably be pretty good since they aren't the most active and can fit in most size tanks and don't need to be in groups

grammas and liopropoma basslets also seem like ideal captive bred fish due to size and popularity. i know you guys breed dejongi and royal grammas, maybe some black caps?
We've had success with black caps in the past the should be to market in the next year or two. Sadly, I don't think any liopropoma is going to be viable for captive-breeding due to their incredibly long larval duration.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tuka Anthias is a great one we've always had our eye on because they are so iconic to Palauan reefs and wild-caught ones are near impossible to keep. We had some minimal success with them but we should grab some more broodstock. We've also had minimal success with square spot anthias but both were held back as F1 spawning groups rather than brought into the aquarium trade.
Wow thats so cool, i wish you good luck and better success for future attempts.

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have Hawaiian cleaner wrasses on your site. Amazing. They are one of my dream fish, but sold out. How successful and often are these available? Will be checking the site often to see when they are available.

Wes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matthew Pedersen many years back bred the harlequin filefish and I would pay good money for a pair of captive bred files. These from Live Aquaria are just awesome but so hard to care for. My last set only made it about 18 months and I’ve yet to try again because of that.

419989FD-A6B0-494C-946D-CF92F0D8F0F4.jpeg

Last edited:

cpbartak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What retailers offer Gramma dejongi? I don't see it on the Live Aquaria site.

You can buy them direct from Biota's website now, at the below link. They sell direct to the general public:

Last edited:

lba4590

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So many I’d love to see! Deep reef wrasses, fairy wrasses in general, copperbands, the more difficult angelfish (regal, multibar, flagfin, purple masked, etc.). That would be a game changer!

Captive bred marine bettas, mandarins, and majestic angels are all on my “one day” list :)

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 75 37.7%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 68 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back