What is your job/occupation

I own a small High end Home Renovation Company ,We specialize in older and Historic properties .My Background came from Education in Commercial/ residential Construction Management Specializing in Hotel Interior Build outs. Its what i done for years Traveling all over the Country. Decided to Retire and Work for myself several years back...

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MY JOB everything about it from the dirty hard work of tear out to the final cleanup of every project and everything in between. I constantly tell everyone who works with and for me. If you do NOT Love working here, You MUST !!! Move on Clean Organized Construction ,Professional Work is all we do .
 
Go to your local union hall. Usually they have testing every month, or more frequent if its busy, you take the test, and any follow up ones if needed (for the millwrights we had to do one 'can you spell your name' and then one at the college with spatial reasoning, math, etc), then start the apprenticeship. Some locals let you buy your book but this is frowned upon (and normally not even allowed if you don't have relevant trade experience to start with).
That’s a lot easier than in ny. I slept outside the union hall from a Friday night to Monday morning just for an application. Then started the apprenticeship a year later
 
Last edited:
Full time firefighter with 17 years on the job. 24 hours on, 48 hours off. Part-time warehouse manager on my days off. I also own a lawn and landscape service I do on the weekends. Plus I'm a full time dad of 2 kids. So that makes me a very part-time reefer with hours usually between 8pm and 10pm:)
 
Building automation engineer. Mostly commercial HVAC. But I do manage Roger Williams Zoo Rainforest/African Pavillion/vet hospital/and eagle enclosures for temperature controls and life support systems.

I design and program the systems.
 
I own a small High end Home Renovation Company ,We specialize in older and Historic properties .My Background came from Education in Commercial/ residential Construction Management Specializing in Hotel Interior Build outs. Its what i done for years Traveling all over the Country. Decided to Retire and Work for myself several years back...

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MY JOB everything about it from the dirty hard work of tear out to the final cleanup of every project and everything in between. I constantly tell everyone who works with and for me. If you do NOT Love working here, You MUST !!! Move on Clean Organized Construction ,Professional Work is all we do .

You need to come on over and redo my main floor lol I SO don't want to do it myself :(
 
I'm in sales and manage FMC (Federal Maritime Commission) contracts for a major ocean carrier. I helped move 10s of thousands of containers around the world focusing on US Imports and Exports. Love my job - its so interesting and never the same day. Just got into break bulk and project cargo last year - less containerized stuff and more specialized interesting stuff (like figuring out how to move a 500,000lb transformer across the world).
 
Please don't ship it by train, we hate loads like that!;)

Buddy, I wont even move steel coils on the rail. You'll be happy to know I'm extra, extra, paranoid. I don't trust shippers to safely lash + block/brace them. Nothing like a 40,000lb coil flying around...

Just last week I convinced someone loading a 20,000lb heat exchanger in an open without lashing it was a bad idea, despite the shipper claiming it had been done multiple times. Hopefully they were able to convince the shipper the same.
 
Buddy, I wont even move steel coils on the rail. You'll be happy to know I'm extra, extra, paranoid. I don't trust shippers to safely lash + block/brace them. Nothing like a 40,000lb coil flying around...

What do you mean? We have coil cars for that ;) no lashing or tie down atall, just sit them in the tubs with wood blocking already in and away you go :p we kick those cars all the time, it's fun watching the cars make a joint and seeing all the coils lift up out of the car about a foot then come crashing down:cool:
 
What do you mean? We have coil cars for that ;) no lashing or tie down atall, just sit them in the tubs with wood blocking already in and away you go :p we kick those cars all the time, it's fun watching the cars make a joint and seeing all the coils lift up out of the car about a foot then come crashing down:cool:

Oh for sure, but when they come to me they want to use containers (usually 20'DV) and not coil cars...! Coils in standard containers on the rail are not good for me. I have them arrange their own inland transport.
 
I'm a witch. Just kidding. I'm a writer <blush>. I work for R2R, and I have one other client, an internet marketing agency, for whom I write the blogs for four businesses. I'm also going to start working shortly as the PT office manager for an investment fund manager who is opening a new office. He made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Since I always work at home, I think it will be a pleasant change to get out of the house a little. I used to be a stock broker, which is what makes me attractive to him. I was a marketing manager for a small oil company for 15 years, selling crude, natural gas, sulphur, and natural gas liquids that we produced.
 
Wow, what an incredibly diverse and interesting range of occupations we have here!

I am a Professor of Developmental and Cell Biology at the University of California Irvine for the past 20 years. We work on gene environment interactions.
 
Wow, what an incredibly diverse and interesting range of occupations we have here!

I am a Professor of Developmental and Cell Biology at the University of California Irvine for the past 20 years. We work on gene environment interactions.

Excuse me, while I write this down. I might need to talk to you sometime!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 3 4.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 26.9%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 28.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.0%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 6.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new