What is your job/occupation

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own a small High end Home Renovation Company ,We specialize in older and Historic properties .My Background came from Education in Commercial/ residential Construction Management Specializing in Hotel Interior Build outs. Its what i done for years Traveling all over the Country. Decided to Retire and Work for myself several years back...

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MY JOB everything about it from the dirty hard work of tear out to the final cleanup of every project and everything in between. I constantly tell everyone who works with and for me. If you do NOT Love working here, You MUST !!! Move on Clean Organized Construction ,Professional Work is all we do .

a4edwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to your local union hall. Usually they have testing every month, or more frequent if its busy, you take the test, and any follow up ones if needed (for the millwrights we had to do one 'can you spell your name' and then one at the college with spatial reasoning, math, etc), then start the apprenticeship. Some locals let you buy your book but this is frowned upon (and normally not even allowed if you don't have relevant trade experience to start with).
That’s a lot easier than in ny. I slept outside the union hall from a Friday night to Monday morning just for an application. Then started the apprenticeship a year later

Last edited:

Firemanreefkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full time firefighter with 17 years on the job. 24 hours on, 48 hours off. Part-time warehouse manager on my days off. I also own a lawn and landscape service I do on the weekends. Plus I'm a full time dad of 2 kids. So that makes me a very part-time reefer with hours usually between 8pm and 10pm:)

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own a small High end Home Renovation Company ,We specialize in older and Historic properties .My Background came from Education in Commercial/ residential Construction Management Specializing in Hotel Interior Build outs. Its what i done for years Traveling all over the Country. Decided to Retire and Work for myself several years back...

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MY JOB everything about it from the dirty hard work of tear out to the final cleanup of every project and everything in between. I constantly tell everyone who works with and for me. If you do NOT Love working here, You MUST !!! Move on Clean Organized Construction ,Professional Work is all we do .

You need to come on over and redo my main floor lol I SO don't want to do it myself :(

Dancingmad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in sales and manage FMC (Federal Maritime Commission) contracts for a major ocean carrier. I helped move 10s of thousands of containers around the world focusing on US Imports and Exports. Love my job - its so interesting and never the same day. Just got into break bulk and project cargo last year - less containerized stuff and more specialized interesting stuff (like figuring out how to move a 500,000lb transformer across the world).

Dancingmad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please don't ship it by train, we hate loads like that!;)

Buddy, I wont even move steel coils on the rail. You'll be happy to know I'm extra, extra, paranoid. I don't trust shippers to safely lash + block/brace them. Nothing like a 40,000lb coil flying around...

Just last week I convinced someone loading a 20,000lb heat exchanger in an open without lashing it was a bad idea, despite the shipper claiming it had been done multiple times. Hopefully they were able to convince the shipper the same.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buddy, I wont even move steel coils on the rail. You'll be happy to know I'm extra, extra, paranoid. I don't trust shippers to safely lash + block/brace them. Nothing like a 40,000lb coil flying around...

What do you mean? We have coil cars for that ;) no lashing or tie down atall, just sit them in the tubs with wood blocking already in and away you go :p we kick those cars all the time, it's fun watching the cars make a joint and seeing all the coils lift up out of the car about a foot then come crashing down:cool:

Dancingmad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean? We have coil cars for that ;) no lashing or tie down atall, just sit them in the tubs with wood blocking already in and away you go :p we kick those cars all the time, it's fun watching the cars make a joint and seeing all the coils lift up out of the car about a foot then come crashing down:cool:

Oh for sure, but when they come to me they want to use containers (usually 20'DV) and not coil cars...! Coils in standard containers on the rail are not good for me. I have them arrange their own inland transport.

Seawitch

Water, water everywhere,
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a witch. Just kidding. I'm a writer <blush>. I work for R2R, and I have one other client, an internet marketing agency, for whom I write the blogs for four businesses. I'm also going to start working shortly as the PT office manager for an investment fund manager who is opening a new office. He made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Since I always work at home, I think it will be a pleasant change to get out of the house a little. I used to be a stock broker, which is what makes me attractive to him. I was a marketing manager for a small oil company for 15 years, selling crude, natural gas, sulphur, and natural gas liquids that we produced.

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, what an incredibly diverse and interesting range of occupations we have here!

I am a Professor of Developmental and Cell Biology at the University of California Irvine for the past 20 years. We work on gene environment interactions.

Seawitch

Water, water everywhere,
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, what an incredibly diverse and interesting range of occupations we have here!

I am a Professor of Developmental and Cell Biology at the University of California Irvine for the past 20 years. We work on gene environment interactions.

Excuse me, while I write this down. I might need to talk to you sometime!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 30.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back