What LED'S

wld1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't read about the CLG's yet, how many LED's do they run and I heard they had dimmers built right into them on top of the drivers is that true?

Chad

The dimmer varies the amps and its a simple Phillips screw with a rubber cap. I drive 48 CREE 3 Watt with mine but suspect you would get close to the same PAR with 36. Just ensure you dont fry them with excessive forward voltage. Use series strings of 12. I'm leaning twards more LEDs not driven at full power to increase their life.

justindville

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just put some on i got from superbright led.com 90 did my 120 and i cant seem to turn them off it look so good.

twiggyb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're just looking for looks, ecoxotics stunners are awesome.
3-23-10010.jpg

3-23-10011.jpg

3-23-10005.jpg

twiggyb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a very blinding blue that the pic doesn't catch for details. The greens and oranges just POP with color.

benjabba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ben

These are CREE XR-E in either Q5 cool white or Royal Blue 450 nm will really bring out the coral colour.

CREEStrip.jpg

Bill

Hey Bill thanks for the info. Where would I be able to pick up a couple of those in Royal Blue? Or is that something I would have to DIY? If so, where would I get the kit and do you have a parts list?

Thanks

Ben

Fishinfool

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm building a 24"x8" 48 LED for my frag tank this weekend.

Will post complete build pics and info soon.

Bill

what are your frag tank dimentions? I built a fixture for my frag tank/refugium and I have had it working for almost a week now. I love the Cree XP-G LEDs! They are so bright and rich. Very little heat also. I am only running a small fan and it keeps them cool. I used 12 Cree XP-G LEDs. 6 are cool white and 6 are royal blue. I also used a voltage regulator(universal cell phone charger) in line with my lights and I use it as a dimmer. It will regulate power from 3V to 12V. I am using the fixture on a tank that is 12W X 16D X 10L. I hope it is going to be enough light for my zoa!!

Here is a link to the light pics:
Pictures by J662777 - Photobucket

butts182

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The top pic was taken 4 months before the bottom pic. Due to my habit of moving and fragging corals (both intentionally and unintentionally), you can't get a good feel for the rapid growth. However, it you look on the right side you can see the growth of the blue tort and a green milli directly to the right of it. The growth is great and fast. Oh, and the bali green slimer in the front center, but you can see I fragged one of the branches. The blue polyp digi on the left grew way too fast and got fragged a couple times between pics.

Here's 2 months later during a water change:
August2009.jpg

wld1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are your frag tank dimentions? I built a fixture for my frag tank/refugium and I have had it working for almost a week now. I love the Cree XP-G LEDs! They are so bright and rich. Very little heat also. I am only running a small fan and it keeps them cool. I used 12 Cree XP-G LEDs. 6 are cool white and 6 are royal blue. I also used a voltage regulator(universal cell phone charger) in line with my lights and I use it as a dimmer. It will regulate power from 3V to 12V. I am using the fixture on a tank that is 12W X 16D X 10L. I hope it is going to be enough light for my zoa!!

Here is a link to the light pics:
Pictures by J662777 - Photobucket

Nice

I have two frag tanks one is 8'x24"x12" I have a 250 MH on a light rail. I think I'll keep the light rail and use this fixture. My other frag tank is 5' dia or 440 gallons. I bought a box of 400 watt 10K XMs I might keep this MH for winter and build a 2 X 60 LED fixtures for the summer... LEDs rock but with a good reflector the MH does cover a bit more area, eventually the MH will be replaced as I hate replacing bulbs every solstice. On a regular tank the payback is quick but when you can light 440 gallons with 4.5 Amps the payback is longer.

Bill

Fishinfool

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice

I have two frag tanks one is 8'x24"x12" I have a 250 MH on a light rail. I think I'll keep the light rail and use this fixture. My other frag tank is 5' dia or 440 gallons. I bought a box of 400 watt 10K XMs I might keep this MH for winter and build a 2 X 60 LED fixtures for the summer... LEDs rock but with a good reflector the MH does cover a bit more area, eventually the MH will be replaced as I hate replacing bulbs every solstice. On a regular tank the payback is quick but when you can light 440 gallons with 4.5 Amps the payback is longer.

Bill

That is very true Bill. I have ordered up the heat sinks and 24 XP-G 12 cool white and 12 royal blue for my Biocube 29. I am hoping this lighting will be sufficient for my cube. I will post pics of the build when my stuff comes in.

wld1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fishinfool

I think you will have more than enough light. You might even want to dial it back a bit to avoid burning the corals.

Bill

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back