What on earth are these?!

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much! I think this is the one!

Sounds awesome! Could we see pictures?
I wish I could own one, but if I did, it would probably mow down all my macroalgae :(.
It's not even expanded fully here, but you can get a good idea of its scale next to the MP10. It has a particular fondness for coralline, so if you want it in your tank, do not get an abalone.

1BD312BB-A12F-4381-AA7D-2BF9A17DFDE7.jpeg

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey WheatToast, if you want some really unique inverts for your macro tank you should check out skeleton shrimp (Caprella sp.) I have a few in my tank and they are definitely interesting to watch. They usually cling to macroalgae but for lack of algae, mine live within the rockwork. You'd have to harvest them yourself as they aren't sold. I found mine on some dislodged Gracilaria floating loose in the tide.

OP
OP
WheatToast

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey WheatToast, if you want some really unique inverts for your macro tank you should check out skeleton shrimp (Caprella sp.) I have a few in my tank and they are definitely interesting to watch. They usually cling to macroalgae but for lack of algae, mine live within the rockwork.
Hey! I remember finding one of these in my old temperate system! I agree that they look super cool! Here is a picture:
DC947B5C-B5B2-4674-83F7-DFD3D5831E24.jpeg

You'd have to harvest them yourself as they aren't sold. I found mine on some dislodged Gracilaria floating loose in the tide.
I beg to differ ;):
https://gulfspecimen.org/specimen/aquarium-food-and-supplies/
It’s not a particularly well known site, but several hobbyists have had good experiences ordering there.

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, that's one. I'm actually familiar with the site but didn't realize they offered them. I wonder how many you get with their small order. The things are everywhere on the shores here in Florida. They have some very unique things for sale at times but you have to watch the prices. Many of the more commonly available creatures are significantly cheaper elsewhere.

OP
OP
WheatToast

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never purchased from them but I've been tempted to more than once. The site clearly caters to researchers more than aquarium hobbyists which explains the odd pricing for some common creatures. They're simply not up to date on what's common in the hobby and the going rates. You could find a nassarius snail for $12 while simultaneously finding a rare nudibranch or other inverts unavailable elsewhere for $6. You just have to watch. 20 specimens for $29 isn't terrible I suppose if you can't harvest them yourself.

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if that’s the one I’m seeing (still not sure if what I am seeing chitons as well), but it looks absolutely insane for a chiton!
I didn’t think it was that type. I think those might be the predatory type. Was just interesting. I did think it was a chiton though. Jumped the gun on the ID there, sorry about that! Good thing @Isopod80 is around!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 30 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back