What router would you recommend?

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning, my router has decided to give me trouble and I will need to replace it. I am looking for advice on a replacement. It’s been causing my tv to buffer, my computer to lose internet connection and most recent my WiFi outlets not to work which effects my aquarium.

Kongar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a large house, or deadspots, or a pool / outside area, etc. and struggle to get coverage, I'd suggest the ubiquiti unifi series of stuff. I've heard the Cisco Meraki stuff is good as well. Things have changed a bit, and you are no longer forced into consumer gear vs corporate gear. I've found the unifi stuff to be somewhere in the middle. For a little more cost and elbow grease to set up, you get some nice features like: real access points with seamless auto switching as you roam around, real vlans and guest networks, and good quality of service options (like limiting users bandwidth). In layman's terms, you can put access points around your house, even outside, you can roam around and your phone/laptop autoswitches from AP to AP, you can set up fancy guest networks with limited access, and you can do things like limit your kid's bandwidth so they can't kill your internet connection as they stream 12 things at a time. Another nice feature is you can connect an AP to another AP in a wireless extender style fashion that actually works.

Worth checking out if you're willing to spend a bit more and have some technical ability. All a moot point if you're living in a smaller house with no kids... Depends on your needs.

Kazumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would second the Ubiquiti Unifi stuff. It is a little expensive getting access points, POE switch, and their router, but I don't loose WIFI connection any more. I rarely have to restart any of it also. My old router I had to restart every few days.

zuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
been using Asus Ac5300 for the last 4 years i rlly love it they have newer models

OP
OP
Fishyj

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, no kids to worry about, small ranch house. I do stream my movies and shows. No cable box. I am moving the cable modem and the router to the first floor.

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is another vote for Asus. Mine has been rock steady for several years now, with multiple kids, all with multiple devices, gaming, school/zoom calls, etc... no problem.

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to google mesh routers which work awesome providing coverage throughout my home. I live in a rancher, which always had dead spots on the ends of the house. This eliminated all dead spots

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work with Ubiquiti commercially. Its good gear but requires some tech knowledge to get the most out of it and really isn't worth it for residential. Uniquiti shines where you need a lot of access points on a limited budget and have a lot of clients connecting.

The Google gear is dirt simple to set up and good for an average house where you dont need a lot of complexity but need multiple access points. Strongly recommended.

For just a single router/wifi combo Asus is good.

Anubisxii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work full time handling enterprise IT for many company's, unifi access points are the way to go. There is some set up involved but with some googling and youtube you will have no issues.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly suggest using a wifi mesh like Google Wifi

(Full disclosure, I am a Google employee (in a totally different division), but I used it well before I joined!)
Probably overkill in a small ranch house but I agree, mesh routers are nice as far as coverage.

Joem820

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the google mesh wifi system, upgraded from a TP-link AX-3000, and am much happier with my wifi performance and coverage.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I work full time handling enterprise IT for many company's, unifi access points are the way to go. There is some set up involved but with some googling and youtube you will have no issues.
If it requires a youtube video it's not very friendly and Ubiquiti is not cost effective in residential. Having to manually SSH into an access point to run a Set Inform simply because the laptop you are running has multiple NICs isnt fun for a home owner.

The google stuff is plug and play and fast. I use ubiquiti if I want multiple wifi networks. custom RSSI adjustments, VLANs, etc. Even so anything but Ubiquiti's HD units are dogs in terms of low client / high throughput which is the typical residential environment.

sandrason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your suggestions and tips. Do any of you know why Wi-Fi is sometimes turned off on my router?

sandrason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand you well. Now many models of routers do not work well. I'm not even sure that replacing it with another router will help. I had such a story that the Internet was also working slowly, I changed one router to another, the Internet began to work much worse. I realized that it's not about the router, but about the speed of the Internet. I searched for the answer on the Internet, but I couldn't find anything to help me. I decided to contact my friends with this problem and one friend told me that I needed to go to 0192.168. l. 254 and make some changes. The speed of the Internet has really changed. I am grateful to my friend who was able to help me.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back