What should I dose?

  • Thread starter Thread starter cookr959
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

cookr959

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 19, 2016
Messages
38
Reaction score
14
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 45 gallon oceanic tech tank. In it I have softies, lps, and a couple sps. I really just count on water changes and calcium. Should I dose something else to help with growth?
 
I would stick with water changes and a good salt mix. Unless you are monitoring your water parameters frequently and it shows you are low in a particular parameter and you have a demand for it I would not add anything at all. It is very easy to get a reef system out of balance by adding something just because so and so told you to add it, and it is very hard to get a system back in balance.

Learn your reef and its demands, establish a schedule for water changes and water quality testing and keep a log. Once you know something is being used up then and only then start thinking about dosing if water changes cant keep up. And never add anything you can't and don't test for. If you don't know every ingredient of a supplement of additive and have test kits for all of them then don't put it in your tank.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new