What system do I buy? Prostar?

Jarbour14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I am stuck with a tough decision. I want to purchase a new reef system with at least 70 gallons of display area with a sump, easy plumbing, etc. I have narrowed it down to a few systems I really think would suit my needs but one of them doesn't have much info about people's experience with them. I am between the more better known popular redsea reefer 350 which is a 91 gallon system, or the proclear prostar 150, which for the same price is a 150 gallon system. Does anyone have experience with the prostar, or should I stay clear and go redsea? I just want the transition to go as smoothly as possible as I do not have a lot of experience with plumbing. Thanks

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I am stuck with a tough decision. I want to purchase a new reef system with at least 70 gallons of display area with a sump, easy plumbing, etc. I have narrowed it down to a few systems I really think would suit my needs but one of them doesn't have much info about people's experience with them. I am between the more better known popular redsea reefer 350 which is a 91 gallon system, or the proclear prostar 150, which for the same price is a 150 gallon system. Does anyone have experience with the prostar, or should I stay clear and go redsea? I just want the transition to go as smoothly as possible as I do not have a lot of experience with plumbing. Thanks
Have you looked into the waterbox tanks? Just been seeing a lot of threads with issues of the red sea reefers beginning to leak! They are beautiful tanks! I have not checked out the Prostar series yet but I will check them out!

Give Waterbox a look though!

OP
OP
Jarbour14

Jarbour14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have checked waterbox, they just seem to be fully sold out everywhere. I really do like their reef and marine x series' though.

ks2509

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at the prostar tanks when my LFS got one in. Seems nice but I wasn't a fan of the sump and the ato container they look small and an after thought imo. Instead I am going with the Fiji cube 81 ext.

OP
OP
Jarbour14

Jarbour14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at the prostar tanks when my LFS got one in. Seems nice but I wasn't a fan of the sump and the ato container they look small and an after thought imo. Instead I am going with the Fiji cube 81 ext.
Thank you for the info! I will check out the fiji cube

OP
OP
Jarbour14

Jarbour14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a Prostar here, really like it for the money. Check out my build.
I am really leaning prostar for the price and how much more volume I will get out of it. Was plumbing pretty straight forward? I have never had a sump and will be doing a build thread to get the best advice to help me through the whole thing.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The Red Sea valve is enough to make me tell a beginner to skip Red Sea if you don’t want to tinker with the plumbing. Ha!

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am really leaning prostar for the price and how much more volume I will get out of it. Was plumbing pretty straight forward? I have never had a sump and will be doing a build thread to get the best advice to help me through the whole thing.

I replumbed the return. That was the one downside of the Prostar, its some very poor grade PVC with tubing. Some folks use it just fine. I didn't like it and replumbed with some take offs for other equipment. Plus I liked the look of the red and grey plumbing :)

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Take a look at my build posts 6, 13 and 16 for some plumbing. I did have V1 but V2 didn't change much. Some of the smaller newer models only have one return pipe (mine had two so split the return right at the tank).

OP
OP
Jarbour14

Jarbour14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a look at my build posts 6, 13 and 16 for some plumbing. I did have V1 but V2 didn't change much. Some of the smaller newer models only have one return pipe (mine had two so split the return right at the tank).
Okay will do thank you for all the info! I will be going with the prostar based on all of this, I really can't turn down the extra display room for the price. I will be making a build post in the future and I am sure I will have a lot more questions haha. Thank you again I really appreciate the help!

Big C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay will do thank you for all the info! I will be going with the prostar based on all of this, I really can't turn down the extra display room for the price. I will be making a build post in the future and I am sure I will have a lot more questions haha. Thank you again I really appreciate the help!

I do like mine a lot with some of the changes I made, primarily just the return plumbing. One note, the overflow is a bit noisier than some. It’s not dead silent. It’s in my living room and we don’t notice much but wanted to let you know if your looking for dead silent. I think I made a video post on my build on this.

OP
OP
Jarbour14

Jarbour14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do like mine a lot with some of the changes I made, primarily just the return plumbing. One note, the overflow is a bit noisier than some. It’s not dead silent. It’s in my living room and we don’t notice much but wanted to let you know if your looking for dead silent. I think I made a video post on my build on this.
Okay thank you! I am not too worried about that, it will be in my living room also. Thank you for the heads up

JayPnoy12

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jarbour14 First, I would do a lot research which tank would fit best to you. Then, I would asked myself on how much budget can you go with your tank. If you are on tight budget, then I will look into the Prostar series and if your not on budget then Waterbox is what I go with. Once you answer that question "How much do I really want to spend on tank itself?" That how you determine which tank would your go with. Just like buying a brand new car would I go with expensive car like BMW or Toyota. Also remember and think about your equipment that you are going to need like light, pumps, etc. Again determined what type of budget you are willing to spend because this hobby is not expensive. Good luck on your journey to owning one. Always remember do a lot of research on the product or equipment before purchasing them cause not all equipment that other people have use for past decade, might not suit you or don't need.

Always,

Jay

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read your post. Have you made your choice? I own the Prostar 200 v2 for half a year now. So far so good. The company has responded to my concerns and is working with me to resolve relatively minor issues. Being a small company don't be surptrised if you talk directly to the owner if need be. Feel free to reach out if you go that route of have questions.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back