What the...???

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OH and funny coincidence...last year my daughter made this....she called it "earthworm Barbie", so tonight, I'm browsing pictures on my computer and I come across this picture! I told her this is what is now living in my tank! hahaha

45842264_290392688264843_2400654520783801725_n.jpg
Let the record reflect, I am not a fan of earthworm Barbie....

OP
OP
citymouse

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May have hitchhiked on a shell. I've seen snails with them on their shell.
I've had this one snail for years, yeah...just one :) He's been in the tank since the beginning, wouldn't this have shown up sooner? The crabs have been in there for a long time too, at least a year.
I'm adding more snails soon, I quarantine them I'm not even sure that matters. lol Can you freshwater dip a new snail and drop it in the DT?

the only really new thing I've been adding is frozen plankton, but I doubt that brought a living thing into my tank.

OP
OP
citymouse

citymouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's definitely a vermetid worm. I have a mean fish that knocks them off the rocks occasionally and they end up in the sand. I'd pull it out.

They multiply like crazy.
So just net that sucker out and flush it?
I still don't know where it could have come from....I was hoping my conch had a baby, hahaha

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this one snail for years, yeah...just one :) He's been in the tank since the beginning, wouldn't this have shown up sooner? The crabs have been in there for a long time too, at least a year.
I'm adding more snails soon, I quarantine them I'm not even sure that matters. lol Can you freshwater dip a new snail and drop it in the DT?

the only really new thing I've been adding is frozen plankton, but I doubt that brought a living thing into my tank.

I honestly don't know much about their life cycle. I'll see if I can find some journal articles in the morning. I had one in my tank and never even noticed it until someone who knew what it was pointed it out. They're so small and I've never seen one moving. I would guess their juvenile phase is short, but I may be wrong. I would also guess that they probably do most moving during the night.

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just net that sucker out and flush it?
I still don't know where it could have come from....I was hoping my conch had a baby, hahaha

I'm not quick to kill the diverse life in my tank, BUT when I tore down my 5 year old reef to set up my new tank, the cryptic zones of my rock had winding, swirling networks of these guys. It was disgusting. So I'm trying to keep them out of the new tank.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People say remove them. But some say they are fine. The mucous is an irritant to corals. I super glued the tube to my sessile one shut. I would probably suck it out if I saw one scooting around, but it's up to you.

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some encrusting corals with a vermetid on them and the worm keeps making his tube longer and the coral keeps encrusting on it. It would be funny if I didn't hate them so much.

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please correct me if I’m wrong but I still don’t think that’s a vermetid.

May be something else... I still think veremetid too. The shell on the back end is pretty similar to their primary shell.

The peanut worm is segmented. Which is why I asked about it early on. What else does it resemble to you?

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, don't I feel stupid. I hadn't watched the video, just looked at the first pic. It's not a tube, it's a worm. Please disregard all of my previous comments. Haha.

They actually do move. But in the juvenile phase. They’re super small. I can’t find a picture of their juvenile phase though. It’s apparently not as well documented as their adult phase.

Bryson.bobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They actually do move. But in the juvenile phase. They’re super small. I can’t find a picture of their juvenile phase though. It’s apparently not as well documented as their adult phase.
That’s pretty interesting. Just learned something today:D

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.8%
Back