What would you do in this situation? *Video* (about to tear down tank)

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep in mind some of the aiptasia will come back eventually if you get rid of the file fish. The fish doesn't tear them off whole at the base but rather picks at them so much they just retreat and I'm guessing die but leave behind offspring. Took about a year after I got rid of my file fish before I saw my first two aiptasia reappear. Used F-aiptasia on those and that seemed to work. I guess only time will tell...
that seems MUCH more manageable at least, and at that point, id be getting every one i see, the moment i see it.
Honestly, 6 weeks ago, my 240 was worse. I got 12 peppermint shrimp and they are all gone. No joke.

I have tried everything in the past. F aptaisia is great for one or two.

Berghias never did a thing except waste money.

Copperband will work on occasion for a few.
9 peppermints and 3 filefish added this week, so I’m hoping....
If you ordered online maybe you can share who you got those peppermints from. I know there is quite a few shrimp that look similar being sold as peppermints that don't work at all.
I got them from @Biota_Marine they are aquaculture and grown with aiptasia as their food according to their website

darkcurrent

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fill your turkey baster with hot water and go to town -- couple of square inches a day

FBAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 9 years I has an aptasia outbreak not quite as bad as yours but I know the owner of the LFS. He had a filefish that he moved from tank to tank to clean out aptasia. I talked him into selling it to me. This little fella cleaned my tank up and keeps on going.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As said in other responses, let the filefish work their magic! Once they start, they don't stop until the tank is clean. Verocious appetites on those little buggers!

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a 1/4 inch hose with a rigid tube and siphon all the aip's you can with every water change, with the amount you have this may be the best way before tank teardown. If you can suck them out of the tank they can't spread.

I had the same problem the beginning of this year. I had a 46 bowfront for a couple years and controlling aip okay until I upgraded to 75 gallon in Nov. 2020, Jan the population exploded. For a year was using all the above methods, Jan I tried16 PS and they would only touch the ones in there little area. Well Feb I gave up and removed all rock and sterilized for a week, cleaned sand, sump, overflow. Fragged all corals because they were growing between polyps, also cleaned fuge. Its been close to two months and just got my first pest, I used superglue and covered it to the rock.

I hope you win this battle, try the method I suggest, just haven't seen any mention of this yet. Good luck.

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided that I’m tearing down the tank. Only 2/3 filefish survived for whatever Reason, and somewhere in the last 2 weeks I’ve also managed to loose one of my 2 pipefish :(
That was the final straw. They were the only thing keeping me happy and to have one die/disappear is just it....
well that and the fact that the filefish and shrimp have done absolutely nothing to any of the aiptasia, I’m just over this tank.
giant waste of $15k and 2 years of my time. :(

mall fish and corals are up for sale if anyone is interested. Located in Philly area.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shame to hear this,but good luck in anything you choose to do.
Shame a simple pest like aiptasia can destroy the look of a tank enough to make someone want to tear a tank down and quit and was reason why i said to myself im qt everything but here i am the other week putting 3 hermit crabs in my tank without qt and didnt even brush there shells pffft.
Think i need be more vigiliant.

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Decided that I’m tearing down the tank. Only 2/3 filefish survived for whatever Reason, and somewhere in the last 2 weeks I’ve also managed to loose one of my 2 pipefish :(
That was the final straw. They were the only thing keeping me happy and to have one die/disappear is just it....
well that and the fact that the filefish and shrimp have done absolutely nothing to any of the aiptasia, I’m just over this tank.

mall fish and corals are up for sale if anyone is interested. Located in Philly area.
I really wish you had gotten through this. I've been to that point of just dumping everything and forgetting about it all but somehow I got through that stage and I sure am glad I did! I still have my share of issues but I look at it not as problems but as learning experiences! I hope you continue to participate in the forum and maybe get back into the hobby one day! For me, as I'm sure with many others, the times when things are going good with the aquarium make me forget all about the bad times!

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So sorry for your troubles, been there myself. Don't give up, start over. You can still enjoy this hobby if you go back to a nice clean tank. I have a 75 gallon and had aiptasia everywhere. Tried Filefish, peppermints, etc., nothing helped. Ripped all rocks out and fragged corals removing pests, sterilized rocks, cleaned overflows, replaced all hoses, cleaned fuge and sump. Now I'm in better shape, still find one or two occasionally and deal with it. Went through a little bit of an ugly phase, now everything is growing strong again. All this after upgrading from 46 bowfront. I know you have more invested in this and is more of a hardship, but if you start fresh you may be surprised. I wish you the best.

OP
OP
GlassMunky

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shame to hear this,but good luck in anything you choose to do.
Shame a simple pest like aiptasia can destroy the look of a tank enough to make someone want to tear a tank down and quit and was reason why i said to myself im qt everything but here i am the other week putting 3 hermit crabs in my tank without qt and didnt even brush there shells pffft.
Think i need be more vigiliant.
I don’t think a pest free tank is possible. We were super diligent about 76 days QT on everything and we still ended up like this.
mom not gonna QT anything when we set back up.
actual live rock from the ocean and stock it as quickly as possible.... that way there enough diversity from the start that no one thing can outcompete and take over

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back