What's everyone's most recent achievement in the reef keeping hobby!

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From keeping a new fish to fragging a coral for the first time. What's your latest achievement in the reef keeping hobby? I'll start I just added my first shrimp! And yes, I realized I misspelled recent in the title... Thanks grammar! o_O

Last edited:

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 2021 I studied in depth and benefited from learning about:

* ICP testing and the fact I got too crazy with iodine dosing

* Took my skill level up a slight notch understanding po4 and no3 and what my exact dosing needs are for carbon dosing

* I'm now brewing 3 type of phyto: Tet, Nanno and Iso. Learning proper dosing of those

* Just adopted into using a Sochting Oxydator to add O2 in my water column

* Latest personal experiment is seeing what a 380nm high powered light does for LPS and zoas

* Made a personal commitment to change 30g of SW every 1st and 15th of every month. Streamlined my WC procedure to knock it out in 10mins

Last edited:

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably a little different type of achievement but I felt accomplished. Catching a Yellow Tang in 180+ gallon tank full of rock. 1 hour workout and several gallons of water on my floor but sweet success

OP
OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

* Took my skill level up a slight notch understanding po4 and no3 and what my exact dosing needs are for carbon dosing

* I'm now brewing 3 type of phyto: Tet, Nanno and Iso. Learning proper dosing of those

* Made a personal commitment to change 30g of SW every 1st and 15th of every month. Streamlined my WC procedure to knock it out in 10mins

* Learning that a LOT of ppl on R2R don't like my sense of humor. And I'm ok with that....

Neat, I'm always trying to learn more about this hobby!

OP
OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably a little different type of achievement but I felt accomplished. Catching a Yellow Tang in 180+ gallon tank full of rock. 1 hour workout and several gallons of water on my floor but sweet success
I feel like I can relate, I had to catch a goby in a 30 gallon. I can only Imagin your pain, give yourself a pat on the back.

Last edited:

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

* Latest personal experiment is seeing what a 380nm high powered light does for LPS and zoas

Wait a minute? You are brewing & dosing 3 different types of phytoplankton? I’m brewing one type of phytoplankton. Fill me in on the other 2!!!

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait a minute? You are brewing & dosing 3 different types of phytoplankton? I’m brewing one type of phytoplankton. Fill me in on the other 2!!!
NANNO (Nannochloropsis gaditana) is a smallish, unflagellated yellow/green algae of 1-5 microns in size. In addition to being a great source of the polyunsaturated Omega-3 fatty acid eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), it is a voracious consumer of nitrogenous waste products (e.g. ammonia and nitrate).

TET (Tetraselmis sp.) is a green biflagellated algae of 6-10 microns in size. It is known to be an excellent source of lipids, amino acids and the Omega-3 fatty acid docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) as well as EPA. At least some members of the genus have been shown to produce substances that act like antibiotics that increase survivorship in larval fish; as such, there is at least some likelihood that they play a similar role in disease resistance for other creatures that feed on them.

ISO (Isochrysis galbana) is a golden brown biflagellate algae of 10-14 microns in size. Valued for its extremely high DHA content, it is often used to enrich (i.e. make more nutritious) live zooplanktonic foods such as rotifers, copepods and brine shrimp. It also happens to be very readily accepted by many filter-feeding bivalve mollusks such as clams, scallops, oysters and mussels.

Starter packs at algae research supply

OP
OP
Ryde

Ryde

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You both are making me want brew my own phytoplankton, but it seems like a lot of work. But who knows might be something I get into; this hobby brings lot of surprises.

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This year…

Learning how to do a successful tank transfer and then implementing what I learned, successfully transferring my thriving BioCube to its new home, an IM Nuvo 40 aio.

Running my very first QT. On day 22 of copper and things are great. Following Jay’s protocol and haven’t looked back
6FC7AC20-FA66-4E77-9DAF-9F14FA4E71A5.jpeg

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NANNO (Nannochloropsis gaditana) is a smallish, unflagellated yellow/green algae of 1-5 microns in size. In addition to being a great source of the polyunsaturated Omega-3 fatty acid eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), it is a voracious consumer of nitrogenous waste products (e.g. ammonia and nitrate).

TET (Tetraselmis sp.) is a green biflagellated algae of 6-10 microns in size. It is known to be an excellent source of lipids, amino acids and the Omega-3 fatty acid docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) as well as EPA. At least some members of the genus have been shown to produce substances that act like antibiotics that increase survivorship in larval fish; as such, there is at least some likelihood that they play a similar role in disease resistance for other creatures that feed on them.

ISO (Isochrysis galbana) is a golden brown biflagellate algae of 10-14 microns in size. Valued for its extremely high DHA content, it is often used to enrich (i.e. make more nutritious) live zooplanktonic foods such as rotifers, copepods and brine shrimp. It also happens to be very readily accepted by many filter-feeding bivalve mollusks such as clams, scallops, oysters and mussels.

Can send over some cultures of the TET & ISO to help me get started?

Also - I’m having problems reconciling my image of you? You are the guy brewing 3 DIFFERENT TYPES OF PHYTOPLANKTON but can’t get an outlet to turn off & on??????????????????

Last edited:

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can send over some cultures of the TET & ISO to help me get started?

Also - I’m having problems reconciling my image of you? You are the guy brewing 3 DIFFERENT TYPES OF PHYTOPLANKTON but can’t get an outlet to turn off & on??????????????????
Me with a soldering iron = an 8yr boy with a chainsaw

Both parties WILL hurt themselves... and potentially others

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me with a soldering iron = an 8yr boy with a chainsaw

Both parties WILL hurt themselves... and potentially others
Too funny!!!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back