Whats so good about Apex controllers?

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to figure out why hobbyist are crazy over them and why they cost so much?

As far as I can tell they read the PH, salinity and temp....these items on their own are not very difficult to test for and each one has a good quality digital tester for a fair price.....

Also, these are constants that really shouldn't change much unless something goes wrong.....unless you on vacation, you shouldn't need this..... I would find something that tested for Calcium, alkalinity, nitrate, ammonia, mag......these are things we generally like to keep an eye on as they are more likely to fluctuate.

My other question is why is it so expensive? $800 is a lot of money from what I think your getting.....unless I don't fully realize the capabilities of it...on that case, enlighten me!

trickedout900

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But they can control so much more than that. I control all of my pumps, my ato, all of my lights and I'm just getting started. It's also handy to be able to log in from anywhere and check n on things. You can set up email alerts for when the water level gets low, power outages the list goes on. Expensive tes but worth every penny.

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But they can control so much more than that. I control all of my pumps, my ato, all of my lights and I'm just getting started. It's also handy to be able to log in from anywhere and check n on things. You can set up email alerts for when the water level gets low, power outages the list goes on. Expensive tes but worth every penny.

Thanks.... When you say you control these other things, why do they need control......lights, I have the reef link and I only used it to set up my schedule. Not something that needs to change often, also why would you need to control your pumps wirelessly? What do you do to them?

As far as vacation, couldn't you stick a $50 wifi camera in front of the tank to see whats going on? Not saying Apex is not helpful, I'm just not seeing the big deal.....I must be missing something

BigKid4788

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When you go on vacation and the camera shows something wrong with your tank, what do you do? With the apex you can shut off pumps, turn a heater off that had malfunctioned...anything. To me a $800 piece of equipment is a small price when you have $1000's into your reef. I had a different controller and had a malfunction with a heater. Did t find out until it was too late. Lost 1/2 my corals which was at least 3x what my apex cost. Imo well worth the $$$

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you go on vacation and the camera shows something wrong with your tank, what do you do? With the apex you can shut off pumps, turn a heater off that had malfunctioned...anything. To me a $800 piece of equipment is a small price when you have $1000's into your reef. I had a different controller and had a malfunction with a heater. Did t find out until it was too late. Lost 1/2 my corals which was at least 3x what my apex cost. Imo well worth the $$$

I understand.... It seems very helpful but very expensive for the tech your getting....I guess because of the limited amount of buyers...I don't go away often but when I do, I usually have someone to come and take care of things if its necessary...

BigKid4788

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I understand.... It seems very helpful but very expensive for the tech your getting....I guess because of the limited amount of buyers...I don't go away often but when I do, I usually have someone to come and take care of things if its necessary...
It's a safety net and piece of mind for me. I've had a piece of equipment fail and lost many corals. Not wanting to go through it again. Is it necessary...not at all. Is it great to have...u bet it is

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically the best feature is the ability to shut down a device that is malfunctioning and the probes are just a bonus......sounds like a nice thing to have but what if it malfunctions :) how far can you go?

GREEF stricken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a safety net and piece of mind for me. I've had a piece of equipment fail and lost many corals. Not wanting to go through it again. Is it necessary...not at all. Is it great to have...u bet it is

Absolutely agree...it provides SO much peace of mind and the ability to look at the Ph chart over last day or two helps to indicate your Alk is steady w/o having to test it daily once it's dialed. Those graphs are brilliant. Also with lights, mine controls both my halides on/off but ramps my LED's up and down by program. Also controls my dosing pumps with pinpoint accuracy...I have 3 different systems that are all simultaneously being controlled and monitored by my Apex. Won't EVER have a tank sub 50gal without one again!! And the support at Neptune is unparalleled. Really nice people and always willing to help. And don't even get me started on the versatility of its ability to control your wave pumps.

GS

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely agree...it provides SO much peace of mind and the ability to look at the Ph chart over last day or two helps to indicate your Alk is steady w/o having to test it daily once it's dialed. Those graphs are brilliant. Also with lights, mine controls both my halides on/off but ramps my LED's up and down by program. Also controls my dosing pumps with pinpoint accuracy...I have 3 different systems that are all simultaneously being controlled and monitored by my Apex. Won't EVER have a tank sub 50gal without one again!! And the support at Neptune is unparalleled. Really nice people and always willing to help. And don't even get me started on the versatility of its ability to control your wave pumps.

GS

Very cool.....sounds like it can be quite helpful for the right systems.....I guess for me it just doesn't make sense as I don't need it for the lights or pumps and a I don't use a dosing pump. I have a digital salinity, PH and temp meter. If I wanted to remotely turn something off, I can always get something like this...http://www.amazon.com/Quirky-PPVG-WH01-Pivot-Power-Genius/dp/B00GN92MC6

I guess it's just not made for everyone.... Unless your loaded lol

E_Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The basic unit starts at just under $300 and then it goes up to $800 for the gold package so you got different price points.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don not have the Apex but do have a controller. It is setup to email me if anything goes wrong with the things being monitored. I also use it for auto top off and auto water change. It monitors the levels in the storage tanks along with the level in the sump. If the storage tanks go empty it will shut down which ever system is supplied by that tank and sends an email. If the level in the sump is overfull it shuts down the skimmer, ATO and water change systems. If the sump level is low it shuts off the ATO, water change system and return pump and heaters. If a leak is detected in the stand everything shuts down except the MP10's in the tank. It also control the heating and cooling for the tank. I guess you can do most of the things without a comtroller but being able to check things while you not there is worth the cost to me.

GREEF stricken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool.....sounds like it can be quite helpful for the right systems.....I guess for me it just doesn't make sense as I don't need it for the lights or pumps and a I don't use a dosing pump. I have a digital salinity, PH and temp meter. If I wanted to remotely turn something off, I can always get something like this...http://www.amazon.com/Quirky-PPVG-WH01-Pivot-Power-Genius/dp/B00GN92MC6

I guess it's just not made for everyone.... Unless your loaded lol

I have pieced my 3 tank system components together affordably over time by scouring Cl and forums for folks breakin down tanks...I probably have between $600-$800 TOTAL in my setup(s). It can be done within a budget if your diligent and patient. The investment in my controller has allowed me to keep and monitor 3 distinctly different biotopes and feel comfortable in doin so with my chaotic lifestyle. Not to mention the level of stoner I am at times really makes for potential to forget little details at times. knowing my controller is littered with redundancies also helps me feel more confident in purchasing more expensive, delicate harder to keep species. To each their own on "unnecessary' expenses but in my mind, not reMOTEly frivolous.,,,just my .02...plus tax

GS

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don not have the Apex but do have a controller. It is setup to email me if anything goes wrong with the things being monitored. I also use it for auto top off and auto water change. It monitors the levels in the storage tanks along with the level in the sump. If the storage tanks go empty it will shut down which ever system is supplied by that tank and sends an email. If the level in the sump is overfull it shuts down the skimmer, ATO and water change systems. If the sump level is low it shuts off the ATO, water change system and return pump and heaters. If a leak is detected in the stand everything shuts down except the MP10's in the tank. It also control the heating and cooling for the tank. I guess you can do most of the things without a comtroller but being able to check things while you not there is worth the cost to me.

Which controller is this? And will it alert you if an overflow gets blocked?

cb684

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the things I control with my Apex:
3 completely separated reef systems
1. Lights
a. On/Off for T5
b. Spectrum/ intensity/ time for LEDs
2. Temperature
a. On/Off heaters
b. One of three 800W heaters (system in garage) only come up if the other two cannot handle the temperature
c. Turn On/Off fan on sump
3. pH
a. Monitor pH in each system
b. Control CO2 in calcium reactor
4. ATO for all 3 systems
a. One pump 3 solenoid valves
b. Monitor low/high levels in each sump (float switches)
c. Set up a different maximum On time for each system
d. Only turn On after 2 minutes the float switch is On
5. Feeding mode
a. Turn off skimmer
b. Turn off wave maker
c. Turn off return pump (only in one system where fishes are slow eaters)
d. After a while turn On wave makers, two minutes later turn On return pump, and two minutes later turn On skimmer (once water level is stabilized
6. Wavemakers
a. Turn On/Off
b. Complete control of patterns for ecotech ones
7. Water changes
a. Control automatic water changes volume and speed
8. Chiller
a. Control On/Of
b. Turn off lights if On
9. Text messages me if (in any system):
a. Temperature: too high/low
b. pH: too high/low
c. ORP: too high/low
d. ATO: if in two cycles of solenoid On the float switch (for low volume) is still On; or anytime float switch (for high volume) is On
e. Power outages / breaker trips
f. Water leakage around tanks and sumps (also turn off return pumps)
10. Keep logs and curves or Notes
a. Tests: Alk, Ca, NO3, PO4, Mg, etc... (manually entered for each system)
b. Changes on Alk and Ca dosing
b. Power consumption
c. pH, Temp, ORP, Salinity

There might be more that I cannot remember now...

cginter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For example....
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1451231086.168010.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1451231094.459056.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1451231104.295405.jpg

Being able to control and monitor my tank when I'm on vacation or not at home is such peace of mind. I get emails if temp or ph goes out of whack. Fail safes for heaters that randomly don't turn off. Leak sensors, dosors, I can go on and on. But it also depends on how much you have invested in your tank. Do you NEED a apex? No but if you have a large aquarium with a lot of time and money stuck in it I personally think it's well worth the money spent for the peace of mind.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The $800 you are referring to is for the unit with the salinity module and probe, plus lab grade pH & ORP probes. You don't have to have that function, or use those particular probes, if you do not want them. The regular price with the standard pH probe is a little over $500, not $800. You can also get an Apex, Jr. for a little over $200, if you just want basic functions and have control over only a few modules.

You have the ability to control, based on those readings, not just monitor them. Just as one example - let's say you don't want your reef to run over 82 degrees. You can set the controller to turn off your heater, lights (or say just the metal halides - if you run those) and turn on a chiller or even a series of fans at selected locations (sump, top of tank, canopy), plus send you and email to alert you that something is wrong - all based on the monitored temperature.

That is just one example of control. It is really unlimited to do anything from controlling your auto top off, to shutting off a calcium reactor / kalk reactor based on pH reading, turning off your skimmer if the cup or waste collector is full, monitor for leaks and send you an email and/or sound an alarm, to even doing automated water changes, should you want to set up to do that. You can do all sorts of things with the controller and you can customize it to your needs and wants.

Web cams are neat to visually monitor, but you cannot act if you see something go wrong. At least with the controller, you have access to many parts of your system from your smart phone, no matter where you are. It is certainly not a necessity to some people, but once people have one, you will see very few of them wanting to give them up.

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have pieced my 3 tank system components together affordably over time by scouring Cl and forums for folks breakin down tanks...I probably have between $600-$800 TOTAL in my setup(s). It can be done within a budget if your diligent and patient. The investment in my controller has allowed me to keep and monitor 3 distinctly different biotopes and feel comfortable in doin so with my chaotic lifestyle. Not to mention the level of stoner I am at times really makes for potential to forget little details at times. knowing my controller is littered with redundancies also helps me feel more confident in purchasing more expensive, delicate harder to keep species. To each their own on "unnecessary' expenses but in my mind, not reMOTEly frivolous.,,,just my .02...plus tax

GS

Lol....I guess I'm just not experienced enough to really get that much use out of it.....I use my own fail safes as I don't really trust technology enough lol......for instance, I never keep enough ato water in the container that if it were to malfunction it would harm the tank. I also have a heater in my DT in case a pump fails....I have 2 heaters in case one breaks. Whenever I go away, I always put a camera by the tank to monitor. I hand dose as I've heard way more crashes with overdosing then under dosing.....

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The $800 you are referring to is for the unit with the salinity module and probe, plus lab grade pH & ORP probes. You don't have to have that function, or use those particular probes, if you do not want them. The regular price with the standard pH probe is a little over $500, not $800. You can also get an Apex, Jr. for a little over $200, if you just want basic functions and have control over only a few modules.

You have the ability to control, based on those readings, not just monitor them. Just as one example - let's say you don't want your reef to run over 82 degrees. You can set the controller to turn off your heater, lights (or say just the metal halides - if you run those) and turn on a chiller or even a series of fans at selected locations (sump, top of tank, canopy), plus send you and email to alert you that something is wrong - all based on the monitored temperature.

That is just one example of control. It is really unlimited to do anything from controlling your auto top off, to shutting off a calcium reactor / kalk reactor based on pH reading, turning off your skimmer if the cup or waste collector is full, monitor for leaks and send you an email and/or sound an alarm, to even doing automated water changes, should you want to set up to do that. You can do all sorts of things with the controller and you can customize it to your needs and wants.

Web cams are neat to visually monitor, but you cannot act if you see something go wrong. At least with the controller, you have access to many parts of your system from your smart phone, no matter where you are. It is certainly not a necessity to some people, but once people have one, you will see very few of them wanting to give them up.

How does it detect leaks and where?

OP
OP
shoelaceike

shoelaceike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For example....
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1451231086.168010.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1451231094.459056.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1451231104.295405.jpg

Being able to control and monitor my tank when I'm on vacation or not at home is such peace of mind. I get emails if temp or ph goes out of whack. Fail safes for heaters that randomly don't turn off. Leak sensors, dosors, I can go on and on. But it also depends on how much you have invested in your tank. Do you NEED a apex? No but if you have a large aquarium with a lot of time and money stuck in it I personally think it's well worth the money spent for the peace of mind.

I have a ton of $$ in my tank so I would like as many fail safes as I can....however the only ones I would see as benifical to me is leak detection, overflow blockage, and heater going crazy....... Now what if the apex malfunctions and shuts something down that is vital to the tank?

cb684

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ton of $$ in my tank so I would like as many fail safes as I can....however the only ones I would see as benifical to me is leak detection, overflow blockage, and heater going crazy....... Now what if the apex malfunctions and shuts something down that is vital to the tank?
The outlets can be set as On or OFF (individually) if the controller brain stop working.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back