What's up with the recent Red Sea Tank failures? 750XXL ? *UPDATE* Design Flaw CONFIRMED by Red Sea !!!

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think about it, the latest poster who has had a problem with their tank. They paid an outside company to do everything. My guess is that outside company is doing everything again. I’m also betting if they are paying for everything to be done for them.. well, they have better things to do than bicker or get flamed with folks on a forum.

Imagine.. you have had 180g of water spill out in your living room.. what’s your priority?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Think about it, the latest poster who has had a problem with their tank. They paid an outside company to do everything. My guess is that outside company is doing everything again. I’m also betting if they are paying for everything to be done for them.. well, they have better things to do than bicker or get flamed with folks on a forum.

Imagine.. you have had 180g of water spill out in your living room.. what’s your priority?

I actually agree with you completely - there are other possibilities as well - right?

A new member (why - a new member when a disaster is happening with his/her reef)......

Suggesting something completely different than the 'assumed problem'.

FWIW - I totally believe(d) the person that posted - but - I'm just responding to the posts here.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually agree with you completely - there are other possibilities as well - right?

A new member (why - a new member when a disaster is happening with his/her reef)......

Suggesting something completely different than the 'assumed problem'.

FWIW - I totally believe(d) the person that posted - but - I'm just responding to the posts here.
I’m honestly not sure what to believe. But I won’t bring the flame hammer down on them. While I admit, I would also like to hear a follow up.. we all don’t always get what we want.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m honestly not sure what to believe. But I won’t bring the flame hammer down on them. While I admit, I would also like to hear a follow up.. we all don’t always get what we want.
RIGHT I TOTALLY AGREE.

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe everything I read on the internet...EVERYTHING! :p

But seriously, who knows? The last guy that posted on the Red Sea FaceBook page got a whole bunch of hate from almost everyone. When he finally received his new tank he promptly posted it for sale on ebay. Everyone started posting hate comments and he deleted his account. The guy owned a business, (selling fish and coral) and had a 5 star rating and people even went as far as to post negative comments on his business calling him a liar.

Now I don't know what to believe, but come on people. We don't want to make it so people are afraid of posting because then we wont know when the next tank disaster happens, (if another one actually does). In all fairness, if my tank did break and Red Sea sent me a new one, I too would be tempted to sell it and go with a different brand. Nothing wrong with that...is there???

TMJ2011

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wow! I am the wife of the husband @cloudrida that posted here recently and yes we have bigger fish to fry (no pun intended) we lead very busy lives and These types of events don’t always happen when it’s convenient. My husband actually isn’t replied because, yes, we are busy trying to get everything together for our claim, partnering closely with the owner of the store we purchased our system and routine maintenance from. This is our first priority and do not want to jeopardize what we are working on just to appease you. We’d like to extend Red Sea the opportunity to make this right so why would we share photos etc here before we’ve had an opportunity to share with our distributor and their team? Make sense? Happy to share photos in due time. Also, very relevant to all of the above is we don’t live on blogs - we both lead very busy lives. We were doing what anyone would do after a catastrophic failure such as ours... research it and inquire and share our experience I hopes that we can all build further knowledge on what is happening since this was all news to us. It was all honestly very traumatic to our family. Our fish and corals were part of our family. We took such pride and joy in them and the little reef we had created. It’s all just finally becoming real what ha transpired. Additionally, my husband dropped his iPhone in the bucket when we were trying to save what corals we could and he thought he saved it but it unexpectedly died without notice and it also had pics and video on it and had not had an opportunity to back up, so dealing with that. And oh yeah, our daughter just started preschool this week too so adjusting to this new schedule and driving 30 miles to/from 2x a day to her school, so yes, lots going on. I hope this post helps curb some of the assumptions and speculation. Thank you and goodnight!

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wow! I am the wife of the husband @cloudrida that posted here recently and yes we have bigger fish to fry (no pun intended) we lead very busy lives and These types of events don’t always happen when it’s convenient. My husband actually isn’t replied because, yes, we are busy trying to get everything together for our claim, partnering closely with the owner of the store we purchased our system and routine maintenance from. This is our first priority and do not want to jeopardize what we are working on just to appease you. We’d like to extend Red Sea the opportunity to make this right so why would we share photos etc here before we’ve had an opportunity to share with our distributor and their team? Make sense? Happy to share photos in due time. Also, very relevant to all of the above is we don’t live on blogs - we both lead very busy lives. We were doing what anyone would do after a catastrophic failure such as ours... research it and inquire and share our experience I hopes that we can all build further knowledge on what is happening since this was all news to us. It was all honestly very traumatic to our family. Our fish and corals were part of our family. We took such pride and joy in them and the little reef we had created. It’s all just finally becoming real what ha transpired. Additionally, my husband dropped his iPhone in the bucket when we were trying to save what corals we could and he thought he saved it but it unexpectedly died without notice and it also had pics and video on it and had not had an opportunity to back up, so dealing with that. And oh yeah, our daughter just started preschool this week too so adjusting to this new schedule and driving 30 miles to/from 2x a day to her school, so yes, lots going on. I hope this post helps curb some of the assumptions and speculation. Thank you and goodnight!

First let me welcome you to R2R. Sorry you joined under such stressful circumstances.
Sorry this place left a bad taste in your mouth and that some folks are just rude. Unfortunately that’s the internet now days. There are allot of “fans” of Red Sea tanks here and they get very defensive.

It’s terrible that you have to deal with this. When something we love goes to crap it really stresses us out.

Looking at your Avatar image I can assume that was your tank? Looked nice. Again sorry you have to deal with this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Doostur

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand you dont want to share pictures as you work with Red Sea to fix the issue. I think we all want to know how it failed. Help current owners with what to look for just in case.

Where is the tank now? Being repaired?

Also have you contacted home insurance? I know all insurance companies are different. I been meaning to reach out to my insurance company on coverage.

I know it sucks. Hang in there. Sorry for all the questions. If you can help someone avoid a similar situation then this thread is a success IMO.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm so very sorry you guys have had to go through this. Wishing all the best for you and your husband as you deal with this ordeal.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so sorry! I could only imagine what a real catastrophe you have had to, and are most likely still going through. I can understand not wanting to jeopardize your claim with Red Sea. I pray they take care of it nice and fast for you guys.

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is such a difficult thread to read through that I’ve just decided I’m not going to follow it any longer. I hope that whoever has had a problem with their tank and if that problem is indeed a manufacturing or design issue it is indeed rectified appropriately. Having said that there is so much speculation on here from many want to be private investigators that are making decisions about scandals, Physics, coverups etc. that it’s just become a bit ridiculous in my opinion.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is such a difficult thread to read through that I’ve just decided I’m not going to follow it any longer. I hope that whoever has had a problem with their tank and if that problem is indeed a manufacturing or design issue it is indeed rectified appropriately. Having said that there is so much speculation on here from many want to be private investigators that are making decisions about scandals, Physics, coverups etc. that it’s just become a bit ridiculous in my opinion.

Then there are the posts that reply to a simple question as if it is something more than a simple question. This is a forum - where people can speak their minds - well - When I read the reply from 'the wife' - sorry I dont know her name - I hope she understands that everyone here sympathizes with what happened. And - MOST of the people replying - asking questions are trying to avoid the same type of problems (if any) with their own tanks. There is no 'conspiracy', etc here. Asking for Photos was (since I was one who wondered) - was not an attempt to 'criticize' or be an 'arm chair quarterback' - it was to try to figure out what I should do with my own tank.

In the end I will say this - the 'Husband' posted on a forum about his tank - he must have expected questions. The wife seems 'irritated' because people are asking questions. I agree the best thing for both of them is to fix their house/livestock and work with RedSea. Im beginning to see why the 'vendor feedback policy' exists.

MikeIkerson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread has made me rethink purchasing a 750xxl. I wish they had an option for them to put an eurobrace on the tank before they send it out. I don’t care about rimless, I want a tank that isn’t going to fail.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread has made me rethink purchasing a 750xxl. I wish they had an option for them to put an eurobrace on the tank before they send it out. I don’t care about rimless, I want a tank that isn’t going to fail.

Rimless is not the issue. Stand design/quality potentially is.

OP
OP
Doostur

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take one picture... Post it online... sit back and just wait for Red Sea to call with a new tank

Truth. Instant damage/reputation control.

But first maybe you clean it up and call insurance. Then change your underwear because I'm sure you sharted yourself after you realized what was going on.

Brian_68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that’s because you’re not an engineer, yeah? Easy enough to measure the strength of cured silicon :) . The issue here has to do with the stand providing uneven support, which is causing forces that the silicon/glass is not designed for.

It’s all about cutting costs, unfortunately. Making it cheaper and cheaper until it is JUST good enough for the job. Or sacrificing strength just for aesthetics, to have an uninterrupted sump area. And then sometimes they go a little too far...
Easy enough to engineer but easy enough to screw up and introduce variables. Controlled size of silicon bead, age of silicon used, cleanliness of applied surface, finger prints, fixtures used to keep it level, consistency of tank edges etc. The list is long.

Back