When to add next fish?

Hannahmunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

how far apart do you add fish?

I’ve herd so many different opinions and the latest someone told me you don’t add a fish for 4 months after the one before.

so if I add a fish to a 160l tank how soon can you add another one?

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I’ve herd so many different opinions and the latest someone told me you don’t add a fish for 4 months after the one before.

Honestly it’s really up to you!! You can either add them in at the same time (which I recommend) or you can wait as long as you want. There’s really no definite answer and others will have their own opinion but that’s what I think!!

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Generally, 2 to 4 weeks depending on the bioload and rate of consumption by good bacteria...it being 160L is ~40ish gallons, can also be a factor.

SaltyPotato

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All depends on how you want to cycle the bacteria in the beginning. No sense in letting the water just sit there without adding any form of ammonia in to kickstart it. To me, the problems always come from adding the second set of fish as most people don’t give that enough time. Without knowing the size of your tank, I can just give my experience.

Added two clowns about a week after setting the tank up with Dr Tims in a 65 gallon. No reason for the wait really, just free time. About 3 weeks later I added a small leopard wrasse. 2 weeks later added a baby baby tang and a goby with another bottle of Tim’s just in case. I haven’t had any issues with ammonia spiking.

OP
OP
Hannahmunt

Hannahmunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All depends on how you want to cycle the bacteria in the beginning. No sense in letting the water just sit there without adding any form of ammonia in to kickstart it. To me, the problems always come from adding the second set of fish as most people don’t give that enough time. Without knowing the size of your tank, I can just give my experience.

Added two clowns about a week after setting the tank up with Dr Tims in a 65 gallon. No reason for the wait really, just free time. About 3 weeks later I added a small leopard wrasse. 2 weeks later added a baby baby tang and a goby with another bottle of Tim’s just in case. I haven’t had any issues with ammonia spiking.
I started my cycle with a cromis and now going through that ugly stage.

unfortunately when I added 3 anthias my tank had an ammonia spike during the night and killed them all. But this was because I did not add bacteria and added some fry rock at the same time.

my tank is 160litre I want to get two more cromis and a pair of clowns. Someone told me I need to wait 4-6 months between adding fish.

SaltyPotato

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my cycle with a cromis and now going through that ugly stage.

unfortunately when I added 3 anthias my tank had an ammonia spike during the night and killed them all. But this was because I did not add bacteria and added some fry rock at the same time.

my tank is 160litre I want to get two more cromis and a pair of clowns. Someone told me I need to wait 4-6 months between adding fish.
Anthias aren’t a good starter fish, and I’m not sure Dr Tim’s would’ve kept them alive. 3 fish to cycle a 40 gallon is a pretty heavy load to start!
You definitely don’t need 4-6 months to add fish, I would add 1-2 hardy fish as clowns or damsels - depending on what you want for the future. Since your fish died you already had an ammonia spike so I would get another fish in asap so the bacteria doesn’t go to waste and die.

OP
OP
Hannahmunt

Hannahmunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthias aren’t a good starter fish, and I’m not sure Dr Tim’s would’ve kept them alive. 3 fish to cycle a 40 gallon is a pretty heavy load to start!
You definitely don’t need 4-6 months to add fish, I would add 1-2 hardy fish as clowns or damsels - depending on what you want for the future. Since your fish died you already had an ammonia spike so I would get another fish in asap so the bacteria doesn’t go to waste and die.
I have the one remaining cromis that survived. Id like to get two more and a pair of clowns. Im really gutted about the anthers as they are stunning, could I not keep one in the future?

OP
OP
Hannahmunt

Hannahmunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the list of stock Id like to have:

X2 Clownfish
X3 Cromis
X1 Red flame hawfish
X1 anithia
X1 goby pistol shrimp pair
X4 hermit crabs
X1 emerald crab
X2 turbo snails
X12 Cerith snails
X2 conch snails
X8 tronchus snails
X1 tuxedo urchin
X1 bubble tip anemone

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back