Where do you buy macro algae?

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just set up a 10g on the budget side and want to grow some macro algae in it for a little simple display, and to harvest some for natural fish food for the when it grows. I'm looking for something other than chaeto, like caulerpa or dragon's breath. Something that will anchor in place and not just blow around, like chaeto. Who do you buy from? I'd like healthy pest free macros.

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can pay for two-day shipping, I'd send you some of my caulerpa. Just in case I'd like to warn you that caulerpa can easily become a pest and while it can be anchored, dragon's breath won't anchor itself (at least mine never did).

And to actually answer the question, my lfs sells grape caulerpa and prolifera for $5/foot and dragons breath for $10/chunk so I get it from there

OP
OP
SashimiTurtle

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grape caulerpa would be cool too. Pest macro algae is not a problem. This is an algae growing tank. No corals, just snails. Nice and easy. I got the nano reef going for a challenge.

I would buy from an LFS, but the one time indent to get chaeto from the only one I know of that sells it, it was FULL of GHA. That's one pest algae I'd like to avoid. I don't think they even have caulerpa.

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the only one I know of that sells it, it was FULL of GHA
That sucks, I wouldn't have gotten it either. I'm lucky with the fact that mine tries to tie the algae into their display so it rarely has any pests. I would also try ebay, I have seen some nice chunks on there before too

Cliffsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some
I have super dense cheato loaded with pods!! There is some feather calerpa macro algae as well mixed in.
Sandwich bag $15
Gallon bag $40

Will ship with usps one price priority box 7.50 for sandwich bag and 15 for gallon bag.
1526988945697.jpeg
1526988909784.jpeg

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I order from algae barn, raised in fish free environments, and they provide points with orders.
Are shipped with heating/cooling pads. That said always quarantine everything regardless where its purchased.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 71 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 46.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.8%
Back