Where do you get your carpets?

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m looking at transitioning my tank to a mostly SPS system, and therefore looking for a carpet anemone to replace my RBTAs. This way it should, theoretically, stay towards the sand bed instead of the the great wandering spirits of the RBTAs all over the rocks. That said, locally, you either have the plain brown carpets (I believe are gigs?) from Petco, or the ultra expensive Red Carpet for $1,000. Im looking for something not so expensive but has good color, purple, bright green, blue, etc. So I ask where do you guys source some of your more colorful carpets?

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find some of mine at frag swaps. Some online. And some from fellow reefers. I've seen them on Facebook and Craigslist from time to time.
Any particularly reliable websites? I’ve never seen anything on our FB or Craigslist besides BTAs by the dozens lol

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef exclusive has some nice ones. I’ll check Dr Mac. AquaSD I’ll have to check into too
I just received a shipment of LPS from AquaSD. First time doing business with them. Excellent quality corals. Very nice service and responses to my questions. ;)

Variant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might also consider magnifica anemones and place them at the top of your rockwork and will likely stay put. You can find these at pacificeastaquaculture. Also, giganteas are more rare than the red carpet your likely referencing and can recover quite nicely from a brown coloration.

OP
OP
Reefing102

Reefing102

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve thought of mags (always wanted one) but never seen them locally, but it’d need to create that peak in my rock work (doable) but not entirely sure yet. And now that I’m looking around, I think I meant haddoni not gig for the common ones

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gigs are hard to find. Nearly all Petco nems are haddoni.
Corals Anonymous sometimes has some.

Reefbeauties.com usually has the bright green haddoni.

Violet Sea sometimes has some. If you’re particular, stick to the WYSIWYG section

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes here too

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no one place that have the exclusively. Just looking around you may get lucky and find a nice one.
mine is yellow with greenish tint to it. Under white light, 6500K it is clearly yellow.
FC562C7C-DAA5-4DF2-AB93-75F2C5EDFC79.jpeg
2EF6AF44-C116-46E1-820A-45C623260D52.jpeg

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Violet Sea sometimes has some. If you’re particular, stick to the WYSIWYG section

Saving for future!

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Violet Sea is local to me, so I've visited them on occasion. Unfortunately, they have a hard time distinguishing a haddoni from a gigantea, so if you're looking for one over the other, definitely ask for photos of the exact anemone you're planning to purchase.

Back