Where to get RODI water

Hetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I pretty much have everything for my saltwater tank except for the water. And I know you’re suppose to use RO or RODI water to mix with the salt but I’m not sure where I can get that water. I don’t want to drop hundreds on a RO/DI filter right now either. So any suggestions would be great!

OP
OP
H

Hetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A RO water dispenser at your local grocery store should suffice for now.

I used this method for over a year until i was able to purchase an RODI unit. :)
So like Walmart? And how do I go about getting 40 gallons from there? Do they have gallons already or what

r20crazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they usually make u purchase the 5 gallon containers for like $5, then charge you per gallon. most have either rodi and/or premixed saltwater. and we are talking about dedicated fish stores. places like Petsmart/Petco usually don't have.

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they normally have gallons already made up for you?

Sorry, I can't help there. I have a ro/di from BRS, and unfortunately don't have a good LFS near me. I know you're trying to keep things in budget, but believe me, getting a good ro/di unit is worth it. Check out Bulk Reef Supply and their 4 stage system. GL

Larry101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I did was I bought a cheap rodi system for like $65 on amazon called the ro buddie. It worked, but I upgraded to a dual 75 gpd ro membrane and added a 2nd di. It works and gives me 0 tds.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been studying the RO DI's of several different companies - Buckeye Hydro, AirWaterIce, LiquaGen. BRS is out of smaller units. The nice thing about buying one now is it pays for itself over time. I will also probably get the drinking water add on. The RO buddie, while way less expensive, does not have standard cartridges. It also has a low gallon per day rate. So you are limited in who you can get replacements from. For now, I am getting the distilled water from Walmart at 80 cents a gallon.

CincyFin

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 5 gallon buckets from Lowes and made a couple trips to the LFS. I still buy from the LFS.

Jenuvio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So like Walmart? And how do I go about getting 40 gallons from there? Do they have gallons already or what

Go to walmart and buy 2 (5g jugs with water.. = 10g) go home and dump it. Then refill them 3 more times. (10g x 3 = 30G)

Larry101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been studying the RO DI's of several different companies - Buckeye Hydro, AirWaterIce, LiquaGen. BRS is out of smaller units. The nice thing about buying one now is it pays for itself over time. I will also probably get the drinking water add on. The RO buddie, while way less expensive, does not have standard cartridges. It also has a low gallon per day rate. So you are limited in who you can get replacements from. For now, I am getting the distilled water from Walmart at 80 cents a gallon.
You can simply get a bigger gpd ro membrane and even add on a 2nd one down the line. The di is replaceable with any di because it is unscrewable. As for the sediment and carbon, it is proprietary, but it is also relatively cheap for both of them - like $18 for the pair. Remember, you can always get a non-proprietary carbon and sediment holder because the tubing is still the standard ro tubing. If you need rodi water and need it for cheap that will work for 6 months before replacing anything the ro buddie is the most budget-friendly option. And down the line you can upgrade it gradually if you are at a financial deficit due to the current world status.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hetts Definitely see if your local fish store (one that you trust) is selling pre-mixed saltwater. That might be your best bet to start. If you had to buy RO or distilled -- I'd probably go for distilled and then add salt / mix. Over the long run, your own RODI system pays off.

How big is your tank?

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you only need 40 gallons at a time, see if you can find an RO Buddie and get the optional DI cartridge for it. The whole rig is about $80 on Amazon if you can find one, but the last time I looked they were all out of stock. There may be other places to get them.

I've got a 60 gallon tank and the RO Buddie filled mine the first time in about eighteen hours. It only takes an hour or two to make enough for a weekly water change. I keep 6 gallons on hand at all times in a big campground water jug.

You do have to replace the DI cartridge once it becomes used up. But I'm only on my second one and I've been using it over a year. They are $18.

OP
OP
H

Hetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Hetts Definitely see if your local fish store (one that you trust) is selling pre-mixed saltwater. That might be your best bet to start. If you had to buy RO or distilled -- I'd probably go for distilled and then add salt / mix. Over the long run, your own RODI system pays off.

How big is your tank?
32 gallon bio cube, do I need to water condition distilled water too? And can I grow corals in that

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back