Which Activated Carbon Recommend?

WVReefJunkie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have yellowing in my water, and was going to purchase BRS Rox 0.8 Pellet Carbon for my dual reactor? I has used the German made carbon, but was thinking of switching. My system is a mostly sps with some lps fairly new with about 400 total gallons of water.
20210126_143853.jpg

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have yellowing in my water, and was going to purchase BRS Rox 0.8 Pellet Carbon for my dual reactor? I has used the German made carbon, but was thinking of switching. My system is a mostly sps with some lps fairly new with about 400 total gallons of water.
20210126_143853.jpg

that’s what I think most would recommend.

Jeff Shaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just getting ready to post this question. I have a Hippo Tang with HLLE symptoms and I use MarineLand Diamond Media Premium Activated Carbon but I'm not sure if that's considered "high quality" activated carbon. I see that term thrown about a lot but I never hear anyone give examples of what they see as "high quality". I suspect every activated carbon manufacturer will claim theirs is "high quality".

Any other suggestions?

tkd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used other activated carbon brands in the past. I have now been using the BRS Rox 0.8 for several years and will not go back to another brand IMO. Clean and never have to rinse before using, just throw it in my media reactor and off we go.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I live by Chemipure Blue

jeffww

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the spherical carbon from seachem. Works good in packed beds.

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use this Marineland one...havent had any problems with it and its not super dirty. Get a big ol tub too

This is the same carbon I use. I don't know ALL the science, but my water is certainly crystal clear

JimmyV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just getting ready to post this question. I have a Hippo Tang with HLLE symptoms and I use MarineLand Diamond Media Premium Activated Carbon but I'm not sure if that's considered "high quality" activated carbon. I see that term thrown about a lot but I never hear anyone give examples of what they see as "high quality". I suspect every activated carbon manufacturer will claim theirs is "high quality".

Any other suggestions?
Rinse the Marineland well
You want zero fines going through your system.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone explain why it’s safe to rinse carbon with tap water? Seen people do this but just doesn’t seem safe to me?

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone explain why it’s safe to rinse carbon with tap water? Seen people do this but just doesn’t seem safe to me?

I think it's about how much tap water you want to risk introducing into your tank. I rinse everything in tap b/c a few ounces of tap water in a large volume won't be as impactful as say in a 2 gallon nano. Also depends on how sensitive your animals are in the tank.

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a strong believer in RODI water for topoff/WC. On the other hand there is nothing I am concerned will be in high enough concentrations to matter just from rinsing with tapwater.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I highly favor Chemipure Blue or if you have have higher nitrates/phosphates- Chemipure Elite

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a strong believer in RODI water for topoff/WC. On the other hand there is nothing I am concerned will be in high enough concentrations to matter just from rinsing with tapwater.

Agreed. I don't think I've ever taken the time to rinse anything in RODI. Basic city tap water has been fine for me personally for all equipment.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back