Which Activated Carbon Recommend?

mickeysreef <*))))<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use the seachem matrix and the rox.08 but brightwell purit is on my radar - once i get done with my supply. supposed to be next generation, advertised to remove heavy metals as well which carbon does but limited as i understand it

AvoidTheNoid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a strong believer in RODI water for topoff/WC. On the other hand there is nothing I am concerned will be in high enough concentrations to matter just from rinsing with tapwater.
If you have copper plumbing, some residual copper (or other metals) will end up in the carbon. I rinse only in RODI water with a TDS of 0 just to be safe

cjb428

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the brs rox 0.8 when I run carbon just because it’s supposed to be the best. I have tangs and I’ve always worried about the dust/HLLE thing. I usually only run it for a few days in a reactor when I do.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have yellowing in my water, and was going to purchase BRS Rox 0.8 Pellet Carbon for my dual reactor? I has used the German made carbon, but was thinking of switching. My system is a mostly sps with some lps fairly new with about 400 total gallons of water.
20210126_143853.jpg
I use Kolar Labs' Premium Catalytic Carbon and can't complain about the results or the price. Generally, I get the 20 lb. bucket. Here's a link:

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have copper plumbing, some residual copper (or other metals) will end up in the carbon. I rinse only in RODI water with a TDS of 0 just to be safe

Rinsing in RODI is certainly fine. However it is no safer than rinsing in in tapwater for the volume we are talking about. Copper (and most metals) are either required in a reef tank or cause no harm in amounts that you might introduce from rinsing something in tapwater.

Thuan

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have always used Rox 0.8. It's worth it because it's very clean and I don't have to use it as much to get the same result as other carbons.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back