Which controller did you get?

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a apex and a hydros I really love the hydros and easy to use but the wifi thing drives me nuts sometimes .I wish the hydros would come out with more stuff like flow meters and stuff
What is the wifi issue? Is it the power bars?

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anybody else finding with controllers built into the equipment that a "master controller" is a bit dated to own these days. My lights run themselves, the powerheads/wavemakers have their own controllers. I use a ph meter with my calcium reactor but not a controller,kalkreactor doesnt need a probe. Waterchanges by litermeters and ATO by Litermeter , inkbird and the thermostat in the heaters, they all have controllers built in. Ive been out of the hobby 10 years but to me it seems the apex didnt improve much besides get uglier looking , but the rest of the gear sure improved much..

I can see a controller to monitor parameters, These first generation ALK testing devices if they need a controller will probably sway me. I would like to auto check and dose alkalinity , Im waiting till they start making second generation as they will improve , thats a real nice improvement coming to the hobby.

ive got a hydros control 4 and a profilux 4 in my cart , give me a reason to push the button.
Those apex power bars are just way to expensive and not built for marine environments, ive had several friends tanks crash when their power strips internals succomb to salt vapor. None of these power bars are really made correctly for the task thats asked of them.

I think there are a lot of us that use "controllers" more as monitors these days. I want something to notify me and take care of any serious issues that arise. Tank too hot? I want to know and I want something to fix it while I make my way home. Return pump stopped? I want to know. Dosing pump stuck on? I want to know and have the controller turn off the outlet ASAP.

This is why I went with the Apex ELMO when BRS released a very small amount of them. Thankfully, it will be coming back soon. $250 got me temp monitoring, pH monitoring, and a high/low water level sensor. 99% of tank crashes happen from a heater, dosing pump stuck on, and/or and ATO failure. $150 more and you can get the EB8 to control anything you want.

Outlets shouldn't be in your stand for any reason. No matter which company you go with. Exceptions are a separate compartment for electronics where water can't splash and humidity is much lower.

Jonreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had the ApexEL on my last tank. It worked fine but was expensive. This tank I went with the Hydros XS and it has worked well. Much lower entry price to get a controller on the tank. The Apex had a lot more advanced control but I am liking the hydros and everything they keep adding. Plus the items they release are not over priced like I feel most Apex stuff is

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't help you on the Hydros...YET...but I do have a Apex and GHL. They both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Do not let the pressure of fanboys dictate your choice. They ALL have a up and down side, you just need to choose what best suits your needs. ;)

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Outlets shouldn't be in your stand for any reason. No matter which company you go with. Exceptions are a separate compartment for electronics where water can't splash and humidity is much lower.
i very much agree with you on this. I built my own stand and canopy and built in areas for the power bars and electronics which have separate ventilation form the areas with water such as the sump and top of the tank. I even went as far as doing a leak test of the stand before I filled it once it was in place. I will post a link to the video of the test. I was flowing RO water from the RODI down the outside of the tank to test. The stand will hold a couple of gallons in the bottom before it would spill out on the floor. I had the carpet squares removed around the tank to check for leaks. I was also wanting to make sure that type of leak would not get into the electronics area. This covers how most leaks would start from the tank itself.

Yodeling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody else finding with controllers built into the equipment that a "master controller" is a bit dated to own these days. My lights run themselves, the powerheads/wavemakers have their own controllers. I use a ph meter with my calcium reactor but not a controller,kalkreactor doesnt need a probe. Waterchanges by litermeters and ATO by Litermeter , inkbird and the thermostat in the heaters, they all have controllers built in. Ive been out of the hobby 10 years but to me it seems the apex didnt improve much besides get uglier looking , but the rest of the gear sure improved much..

I can see a controller to monitor parameters, These first generation ALK testing devices if they need a controller will probably sway me. I would like to auto check and dose alkalinity , Im waiting till they start making second generation as they will improve , thats a real nice improvement coming to the hobby.

ive got a hydros control 4 and a profilux 4 in my cart , give me a reason to push the button.
Those apex power bars are just way to expensive and not built for marine environments, ive had several friends tanks crash when their power strips internals succomb to salt vapor. None of these power bars are really made correctly for the task thats asked of them.

I totally agree. I’ve been in the hobby for nearly 2 decades and I never understood the logic behind using a controller. It seems like many reefers just like the novelty of controlling things from their phone. But they are adding a single central point of failure, and it just so happens that the single point of failure (the controller) is also the least reliable piece of equipment they own. There are plenty of “Apex killed my reef” threads. Imho for CaRx, heaters etc it’s much more sensible to use the purpose-built separate hardware controllers like the Milwaukees and Rancos, Tunze ATOs, etc. The rest of the stuff, I can just plug into a wall.

Monitoring/testing is the only real draw of these systems, but the tech is advancing at a snails pace and most of it has questionable return on investment. Yeah most controllers can monitor Ph and Temp with reasonable reliability, but that’s hardly worth $1k+. And the newer devices that can also measure other parameters require more troubleshooting and calls to tech support than it would take to just measure parameters with some Hanna checkers.

So, for me at least, it a waiting game to see if anyone comes up with a solid reliable testing/monitoring solution that saves me time in the long run.

Last edited:

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree. I’ve been in the hobby for nearly 2 decades and I never understood the logic behind using a controller. It seems like many reefers just like the novelty of controlling things from their phone. But they are adding a single central point of failure, and it just so happens that the single point of failure (the controller) is also the least reliable piece of equipment they own. There are plenty of “Apex killed my reef” threads. Imho for CaRx, heaters etc it’s much more sensible to use the purpose-built separate hardware controllers like the Milwaukees and Rancos, Tunze ATOs, etc. The rest of the stuff, I can just plug into a wall.

Monitoring/testing is the only real draw of these systems, but the tech is advancing at a snails pace and most of it has questionable return on investment. Yeah most controllers can monitor Ph and Temp with reasonable reliability, but that’s hardly worth $1k+. And the newer devices that can also measure other parameters require more troubleshooting and calls to tech support than it would take to just measure parameters with some Hanna checkers.

So, for me at least, it a waiting game to see if anyone comes up with a solid reliable testing/monitoring solution that saves me time in the long run.
agree 100% with this

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the wifi issue? Is it the power bars?
power bars seems to work really good for me so is the hydros i do love it but for some reason it drops wifi during the night around 11 sometimes . i just unplug main power from head unit and plug it back in and it fires up again

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
power bars seems to work really good for me so is the hydros i do love it but for some reason it drops wifi during the night around 11 sometimes . i just unplug main power from head unit and plug it back in and it fires up again
That could be due to weak signal. The tank is not between the controller and router is it? There is a signal indicator on the app. If it is green it is good at that time. It is to the left of the controller name. See screenshot below.

8FC07BA0-A4BD-46F3-9869-1D47D51D73C5.png

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydros has a couple of new packages now. Link below to the one with a X4 and XP8.

Schraufabagel

aka Schrauf_den
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have hydros controllers. I wouldn’t have it any other way. The sensors are just much cheaper than apex and provide nearly the same functionality. It’s also much easier to expand the system with additional controllers, sensors, and outlets. The app’s programming has improved and they’ve been adding new products frequently

Danco1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't help you on the Hydros...YET...but I do have a Apex and GHL. They both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Do not let the pressure of fanboys dictate your choice. They ALL have a up and down side, you just need to choose what best suits your needs. ;)
In your opinion, what are the pros and cons?

Sshannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both...

Been running Neptune for 5 years (couple of my items are 7+ years old) and not a single failure to date. Knock on wood! The wifi was not easy to get setup the first time but the community help is unreal.

Picked up a Hydros like 8 months ago. Way easier to setup than Apex initially but I'm weird and find the Apex coding easier than Hydros. If then is so simple.

Hydros is definitely making a splash but I'm hesitant to believe CoralVue will provide good customer service consistently. It hasn't been my experience in the past with them.

So it comes down to community help IMO. Apex wins this by a landslide and I'm optimistic that BRS is going to push Neptune back in the right direction.
I agree with this. Coralvue was pretty bad with my customer support. Sent me a defective ATO unit 5 times in a row, and refused to reimburse me for any of the shipping. Offered a discount on a future purchase, but I'm not gonna buy anymore defective junk from them. ‍♂️

Dodger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems likely that we are all going to advocate for what we are familiar with and is working for us?
I just bought a hydros to regulate my temperature. The starting kit with the controller and temp sensor was less than buying a good temperature regulator. Put two thermometers on and good to go! the price was the major factor for me here. I am in my first year of reefing.
I know the apex has options and stuff hydros doesn’t but they are starting out. Dosing system just came out. Going to try that. add on a gyre and I am still under the price of an apex.
Set up was easy for us less tech(y) people. Hear apex is a bit tricky
The new guy on the block may eventually become the standard as technology progresses and apex does not move forward.
just a thought?!!!

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems likely that we are all going to advocate for what we are familiar with and is working for us?
I just bought a hydros to regulate my temperature. The starting kit with the controller and temp sensor was less than buying a good temperature regulator. Put two thermometers on and good to go! the price was the major factor for me here. I am in my first year of reefing.
I know the apex has options and stuff hydros doesn’t but they are starting out. Dosing system just came out. Going to try that. add on a gyre and I am still under the price of an apex.
Set up was easy for us less tech(y) people. Hear apex is a bit tricky
The new guy on the block may eventually become the standard as technology progresses and apex does not move forward.
just a thought?!!!
Do your heaters have thermostats on them you can use as a backup. I would alway have a backup to turn them off just in case. I use the Hydros to control the heaters but the heater have thermostats on them I have set about 3 degrees higher than the setting on the Hydros. Heater failures of some kind seem to be one of the biggest causes of tank crashes. Also alway split the heating wattage needed between at least two heater.That way one failure will give you time to respond. Also have them on separate outputs.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Since you have both Apex and GHL and this is currently the internal argument I've got going on, can you highlight the GHL's weaknesses in your opinion? From what I can gather, the ION Director and KH Director are way more accurate than the Trident, and run for 1/2 the cost even though the initial cost is double.

MONTANTK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with the Apex because it’s what I’m familiar with. If I had to do it again, I would probably give the Hydros a try. I like it’s simplicity over the Apex

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 49 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back