Which controller did you get?

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this something like what you want ?https://www.coralvue.com/hydros-control-x3-monitor-pack
It does not come with any outputs but they can be added if you do choose to control something later. The wifi power strips are $40 and the XP8 is $280 if you do want to add control later. The difference is the XP8 is connected to the buss and has 8 outlets. The wifi power strips are 4 outlets and the communication with the controller is over wifi.
It looks like a great overall controller, what im really wanting is to get one to monitor basic parameters (they all basically do) so to me what sets them apart is the newer testing technology and ecosystems. I specifically like the idea of ALK testing as i think its the most important aspect to keeping my tanks healthy. If my alk is right i dont really need the other tests so in my mind doing manual tests for things like phosphates is fine if i can automate the test i actually do religiously perform its tech working for me. it seems to me the tech is evolving in a positive way i just want to catch the right bus to where i want to go with it.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This make me lean towards the GLH controller ecosystem and the KH director and using the basic monitoring features, 1 ph probe temp etc, just basics.

to those who know ghl does it matter if you get the mini, or the 4 when using the KH director with it?
As far as I am aware, you can use the KH Director and ION Director as standalone devices as long as you use the Standalone Doser 2.1 pump. It does not require the Profilux at all, however, if you get Slave Dosers, they do require the Profilux. The Directors need at least 1 2.1 Doser each to function. Only 1 of them needs to be a Standalone.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jnalley appreciate your input this helps alot so bout $925 for stand alone KH director and matching 4 head pump or $900 for a GHL Mini +KH Director .. will the mini run my existing doser pumps that i already have a bunch of.
if so i saved $100 and got a free controller ? does that math hold true?

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jnalley appreciate your input this helps alot so bout $925 for stand alone KH director and matching 4 head pump or $900 for a GHL Mini +KH Director .. will the mini run my existing doser pumps that i already have a bunch of.
if so i saved $100 and got a free controller ? does that math hold true?
Unfortunately, it NEEDS to be one of the GHL Doser pumps no matter what. They communicate to one another, and none of the ecosystems are able to control outside dosing pumps (as far as I know). So you'd need to get the Director + GHL Doser 2.1 Standalone. The good news is, for the KH Director, it uses only 3 of the 4 pump heads and it will auto-dose based on its own reading and your system volume parameters I think using the unused pump head. So your Alk will always be stable no matter what.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For $500 are they at least decently made doser pumps, how do they compare to day cole parmer masterflex or litermeter 3's? or are they like the jebea cheap pumps? never seen the unit hands on.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For $500 are they at least decently made doser pumps, how do they compare to day cole parmer masterflex or litermeter 3's? or are they like the jebea cheap pumps? never seen the unit hands on.
I can't answer that question as I don't have one, and I've never used cole parmer, masterflex, or litermeter. I can say, however, that Jebao dosers can only dose a minimum of 1mL and are definitely considered cheap Chinese dosers. I've never seen anyone say anything bad about GHL Dosers, and they go down to .1mL minimum dosing amount. The most positive thing I can say about GHL as a whole is that they're a German company, with German engineering, and everyone says their hardware can't be touched quality-wise.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This helped alot i just realized my 3 old pumps are worth a small car... They have apparently gone up in value. gonna sell all 3 and get the KH director combo. That should totally be the best controller for my needs. Best thread ive posted in yet. Thanks.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This helped alot i just realized my 3 old pumps are worth a small car... They have apparently gone up in value. gonna sell all 3 and get the KH director combo. That should totally be the best controller for my needs. Best thread ive posted in yet. Thanks.
Keep in mind the KH Director ONLY monitors Alkalinity. If you want the others (Magnesium, Calcium, Nitrate, Potassium, Sodium, and eventually Phosphate) you will ALSO need an ION Director + Doser 2.1, though since you're getting the KH with the standalone, you can get the ION with the Slave and save yourself some money. It's a total of $1800 or so, a reefbot is about 900 dollars but only gives you numbers, does not automate, and again relies on other companies reagents, and a Mastertronic + Alkatronic combo is far more expensive $2100 and no doser.

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 3 apex systems and if I get a 4th tank an apex will be one of the first things getting installed. Game changer for me in terms of monitoring and avoiding multiple disasters. Sure all the fun stuff is cool too but honestly Im so glad I have them. My only advice is hard wire them to your router. I found the connection a bit hit and miss at even reasonably small ranges.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now you throw out the reefbot very interesting device there!
Looks cool.
Haha, I mentioned it in my first reply to you, though it was sort of in passing when I discussed the Mastertronic.

does the alkatronic run stand alone or does it need the mastertonic to operate .. they shoud sell a gin and tonic.

Alkatronic (Which only tests Alk) run on its own, Mastertronic also runs on its own, both however will only spit out numbers (just like the reefbot) unless paired with a CoralVue controller and a Dosetronic Dosing pump. This is by far the most expensive option IMO.

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wasnt following that matertronic dosetronic and hydros were the same ecosystem. they should change the name to hydrotronic to match the theme and make it easy. Ya the $925 KH Director looks even tougher.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i wasnt following that matertronic dosetronic and hydros were the same ecosystem. they should change the name to hydrotronic to match the theme and make it easy. Ya the $925 KH Director looks even tougher.
technically I think it's a partnership and not the same company. The devices work on their own, but can be harnessed by the CoralVue Hydros. The company that makes the *tronics is Focustronic and they also have a light called the Solartronic or something like that, which I think also works with the Hydros.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does the alkatronic run stand alone or does it need the mastertonic to operate .. they shoud sell a gin and tonic.
The Alkatronic and Mastertronic can share values with the Hydros system. Hydros also has a dosing pump that hooks to Hydros drive ports which are on a X2 and X4 controller. The pump is actually made by Kamoer. The Alkatronic or Mastertronic can be used separately.

Yodeling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to knock GHL dosing pumps but Masterflex pumps are in a completely different league compared to anything you can get in our hobby. But Masterflex pumps are also much more expensive and much larger, so perhaps impractical for most dosing applications.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to knock GHL dosing pumps but Masterflex pumps are in a completely different league compared to anything you can get in our hobby. But Masterflex pumps are also much more expensive and much larger, so perhaps impractical for most dosing applications.
hah, I got curious and looked, $3,600 for a single head! Those are some laboratory-grade pumps right there! Something you use someone else's money to fund when you have research to do, lol!

Edit: 0.001mL minimum dosing >.< That's insanity!

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree. I’ve been in the hobby for nearly 2 decades and I never understood the logic behind using a controller. It seems like many reefers just like the novelty of controlling things from their phone. But they are adding a single central point of failure, and it just so happens that the single point of failure (the controller) is also the least reliable piece of equipment they own. There are plenty of “Apex killed my reef” threads. Imho for CaRx, heaters etc it’s much more sensible to use the purpose-built separate hardware controllers like the Milwaukees and Rancos, Tunze ATOs, etc. The rest of the stuff, I can just plug into a wall.

Monitoring/testing is the only real draw of these systems, but the tech is advancing at a snails pace and most of it has questionable return on investment. Yeah most controllers can monitor Ph and Temp with reasonable reliability, but that’s hardly worth $1k+. And the newer devices that can also measure other parameters require more troubleshooting and calls to tech support than it would take to just measure parameters with some Hanna checkers.

So, for me at least, it a waiting game to see if anyone comes up with a solid reliable testing/monitoring solution that saves me time in the long run.

IF GHL had software that wasn't borderline infuriating in regard to ease of use, and it was easy and fast and reliable to connect to wifi with their app, then it would a contender here. It's really sad they spend all this time on seemingly great hardware but neglect the user experience to the degree some of us that purchased the units 50% (or more) of the time want to shoot it with a shot gun.

Mywifeisgunnakillme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I am aware, you can use the KH Director and ION Director as standalone devices as long as you use the Standalone Doser 2.1 pump. It does not require the Profilux at all, however, if you get Slave Dosers, they do require the Profilux. The Directors need at least 1 2.1 Doser each to function. Only 1 of them needs to be a Standalone.
You can use as stand alone but without a profilux you will not get emails or text message alerts.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use as stand alone but without a profilux you will not get emails or text message alerts.
I figured as much but didn't want to state so without first-hand knowledge or direct information (couldn't find anything stating so explicitly). I imagine all of the alerting functionality comes from the controller brain as building that interface/software into each peripheral device would be confusing and redundant once a completed system was put together.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back