Which Dwarf Angelfish should i go for?

Bravo_Golf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recommendations on Dwarf Angelfish species?

Looking to get one, they’re pretty much all labelled/known as semi aggressive or words to that effect. Just wondering what everybody’s experiences have been with Dwarf Angelfish with aggression and not being reef safe etc... and which species would you recommend.

If i was to get one it would be housed with a Peacock Wrasse and 2 Ocellaris Clowns in a 40 gallon tank.

Thanks!

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our flame angel spectacular. See my build thread for a few pics and videos! Might be my favorite fish.

That said, no dwarf angel is reef safe. They’re all a gamble with corals. I just decided that if it develops a taste for a type of coral, I won’t get any more of that type of coral, because I’d rather have the fish.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
flame has been best for me followed by Potters (if you can find one)

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Flame angel, model citizen
20220101_161742.jpg

RipVanWinkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
46EC0709-49EB-45F5-BAFE-0D1E718E8BC3.jpeg

my flame angel is kind of mean to my clowns and six line wrasse but the clowns have their nem and the wrasse has a weird way of calming the angel, but he is totally reef safe

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve owned 3 CBA’s and none have gone for coral and have all been very peaceful. They’re closely related to the flame Angel if I remember correctly.

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have an Ebli angel, he is not overly aggressive, but definitely stand his ground. I do not have corals, so I do not know if he would eat them. He likes to go in and out of caves, and nibbles on rocks all day. He also likes nori. I think that this angel is often overlooked. I fell in love with the color of the lining of his tail in the LFS and do not regret buying it. I probably have him for 5 years or more.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Flame angel, model citizen
20220101_161742.jpg
That’s one beauty of a male flame!! Certainly stands out in the tank.
46EC0709-49EB-45F5-BAFE-0D1E718E8BC3.jpeg

my flame angel is kind of mean to my clowns and six line wrasse but the clowns have their nem and the wrasse has a weird way of calming the angel, but he is totally reef safe
Usually females are calmer than males but nonetheless, are just as beautiful!! Love how the females don’t have quite so many lines as the males but still show a stunning display of colours.

Also, if you’re wondering how to differentiate male from female:
Pointed dorsal and Anal fins mean is a male whereas rounded fins mean it’s a female. Also the lines, males will have more than 4 (Usually 5-6) but females have 4 or less (3-4). All flames (Actually, I think all Dwarf angels do this) are born female and the most dominant one will become male.

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have an Ebli angel, he is not overly aggressive, but definitely stand his ground. I do not have corals, so I do not know if he would eat them. He likes to go in and out of caves, and nibbles on rocks all day. He also likes nori. I think that this angel is often overlooked. I fell in love with the color of the lining of his tail in the LFS and do not regret buying it. I probably have him for 5 years or more.
Agreed on Eibli being oft overlooked, and the beauty of their markings. Got mine just over a year ago.... as for reef safe, well sort of lol. I have caught it nipping a few times at Kenya Tree ( some would say this is good lol), but no real damage. I also have a Coral Beauty 6 years which I wouldn't hesitate to recommend. 40 gallon of OP might still be a bit small though, probably right on the minimum edge of size suggestions... anyway here is mine with the CB in second shot.
20220109_122749.jpg
20220109_122812.jpg

Back