Which hanna phosphate checker?

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Haha I think so, but like I said, you really can’t go wrong either way. Just comes down to what you prefer. Let us know what you decide! :)
I just looked in Apex Fusion and the software will convert it from ppb to ppm as well! You just select the ULR option when putting in the test results! So anybody with an Apex can just use that to track it and convert it as well! Looks like that just made my decision for me! Ill just make sure to cut the packet open before i start the test...

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked in Apex Fusion and the software will convert it from ppb to ppm as well! You just select the ULR option when putting in the test results! So anybody with an Apex can just use that to track it and convert it as well! Looks like that just made my decision for me! Ill just make sure to cut the packet open before i start the test...

Great info. I don’t use the Apex so I wasn’t aware of that but I’m sure it’ll be helpful to others. I think you’ll be happy with your decision. ;)

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it’s real simple.

At the lowest you want PO4 0.03ppm and highest (for me) would be 0.2ppm. Some people may run higher and up past 1.0 or 2.0...but you’ll find that most reefers prefer to be under 0.2 and really under 0.1 for better colors.

So the ULR will cover you from 0.01 - 0.6ppm.

Buy the ULR...you’ll be glad you did. Wink Wink!

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it’s real simple.

At the lowest you want PO4 0.03ppm and highest (for me) would be 0.2ppm. Some people may run higher and up past 1.0 or 2.0...but you’ll find that most reefers prefer to be under 0.2 and really under 0.1 for better colors.

So the ULR will cover you from 0.01 - 0.6ppm.

Buy the ULR...you’ll be glad you did. Wink Wink!

My thoughts exactly. :)

Also, @w2inc your profile image is one of my favorite on here!! ;)

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which video is this from, @Reefahholic?

It’s an old BRS video. I screen shot the numbers that Ryan said are the golden numbers.

Since the video I’m sure a lot of people target these lower numbers. Especially SPS junkies looking for the most color pop. I like mine a little higher.

I like to be under 0.1 PO4. But a little over doesn’t hurt. I think my preferred range ATM is about 0.05 to 0.09ppm personally.

I like Nitrates around 5-10ppm.

Feed heavy and export it after the corals eat. Wink wink

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody want those WWC numbers?!!

Do keep in mind that the lower pH is due to the CaRx and the amount of people in the building.

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s an old BRS video. I screen shot the numbers that Ryan said are the golden numbers.

Since the video I’m sure a lot of people target these lower numbers. Especially SPS junkies looking for the most color pop. I like mine a little higher.

I like to be under 0.1 PO4. But a little over doesn’t hurt. I think my preferred range ATM is about 0.05 to 0.09ppm personally.

I like Nitrates around 5-10ppm.

Feed heavy and export it after the corals eat. Wink wink

Ah gotcha. I wanted to look it up and watch it as I was a bit confused by the image. What’s up with the provided ranges in white, and the “Goal” numbers in yellow? The 2+ years part makes sense but the 1-2 years part was what threw me off.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah gotcha. I wanted to look it up and watch it as I was a bit confused by the image. What’s up with the provided ranges in white, and the “Goal” numbers in yellow? The 2+ years part makes sense but the 1-2 years part was what threw me off.

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's an awful lot of misinformation here, the 774 has the same margin of error as the 736.

Is it? I used these accuracy +/- postings off Hanna’s website and the conversion chart I’ve posted above.

HI-736:
81E22F77-8FFA-4F16-A230-FBA88573CE4A.png

HI-774:
E9DC5478-8E50-4D9A-BB73-98534B61B340.png

Using the posted accuracy numbers from Hanna and the above conversion chart, the HI-774 has a margin of error of .02 ppm, while the margin of error of +/-5 ppb with the HI-736 is between .014-.016 ppm (assuming the conversion chart is accurate).

Am I missing something here?

Last edited:

karlandtanya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the conversion chart

Thank you for the conversion chart, this is a very good verification for me!
I used to have the 774, which measures Phosphate in ppm and never detected *anything*. I thought it was broken, so diluted some TSP and measured that--yup, the 774 works; I was just too low. When I bought the 736, which measures Phosphorus in ppb I was able to see what's going on.

The (rough) conversion I use to get from ppb of P to ppm of PO4 is move the decimal 3 places to the left, then multiply by 3; that seems to sorta match the real numbers you provided.

U

User1

View Badges
The 713 is the bad one...

It isn't bad. It works just as well as the others with the exception of the range and precision ( ±0.04 ppm). I accidentally bought this one and while the precision isn't there it gives a consistent reading every time. I use the value / reading as a guide and can easily see trends when looking at the results on paper or via the logs in Apex.

I'm all for buying the correct one first - save yourself 50 bucks. I'm just not giving them another 50 when the 713 works perfectly fine for me :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 26.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back