• Zinc coated

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Jrod381

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to be building a custom hanging light canopy and everywhere I have gone researching and even if just asking questions I get mixed reviews. Would zinc threaded rods be safe for hanging a canopy over a tank? I plan on painting them with either black enamel spray paint or krylon fusion paint. If not which rods would be safe?

Thanks in advance

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say as long as they are painted you should be good. i have some zinked hardware in my canopy and it has been fine. I think the long term issue would be with corrosion. it shouldn't rust out if you paint it, but the hardware will gum up if you want to adjust it.

quick easy test with stainless, if a magnet sticks to it, it can rust.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always try to use stainless now. Even if it is something that will stay dry it will live in high humidity.
I made a light hanger with some black anodized socket head bolts that looked really nice for 3 months and then rusted.
Sorry I am not an expert on stainless types and most things I buy don't indicate what kind they are made of.

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
316 Stainless.

You can't paint threaded rods and expect the threads to actually work well, so if you need to back out anything or adjust you'll be stripping paint.

There is nothing not safe about a standard steel rod, its just going to form rust patches. If you're ok with the setup being one directional until dismantling, then steel works fine with paint. The rust is not harmful to much of anything, its just unsightly :)

Aluminum also can form thick oxide layers but is a good cheaper backup.

OP
OP
Jrod381

Jrod381

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
316 Stainless.

You can't paint threaded rods and expect the threads to actually work well, so if you need to back out anything or adjust you'll be stripping paint.

There is nothing not safe about a standard steel rod, its just going to form rust patches. If you're ok with the setup being one directional until dismantling, then steel works fine with paint. The rust is not harmful to much of anything, its just unsightly :)

Aluminum also can form thick oxide layers but is a good cheaper backup.
So will the rust bubble through the paint with time? I don’t plan on ever moving this canopy unless I’m breaking down the tank

OP
OP
Jrod381

Jrod381

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I received an email from Marine bolt supply from where I was going to order the 316 stainless rods and they are saying to be safe versus sorry to get galvanized rods since I will be applying paint order powder coat. Mainly because of structural load

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have used aluminum around my tank for years and don't seem to have any corrosion problems of any kind.
I made a bracket for a single Radion light and left it unpainted for a couple years.
Every month or so I would dust it off with a rag with a little light oil on it and polish it up so it stayed shiny.
Eventually I had it powder coated.

I also have used 316 stainless in and around my tanks for years and don't see a problem.
I have a large kitchen whip ( mixing tool) that I used for years mixing saltwater and lately use it for mixing kalkwasser and it's rust/corrosion free.

As mentioned painted threads are going to be hard to use.

OP
OP
Jrod381

Jrod381

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used aluminum around my tank for years and don't seem to have any corrosion problems of any kind.
I made a bracket for a single Radion light and left it unpainted for a couple years.
Every month or so I would dust it off with a rag with a little light oil on it and polish it up so it stayed shiny.
Eventually I had it powder coated.

I also have used 316 stainless in and around my tanks for years and don't see a problem.
I have a large kitchen whip ( mixing tool) that I used for years mixing saltwater and lately use it for mixing kalkwasser and it's rust/corrosion free.

As mentioned painted threads are going to be hard to use.

thanks for the info, I have tried to find aluminum threaded rods but have not had any luck do you know where one can source them? I would prefer to buy rods which are already pre painted or coated in black if possible. if painting myself I was going to leave the ends which will be threaded in painted for ease of use.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
thanks for the info, I have tried to find aluminum threaded rods but have not had any luck do you know where one can source them? I would prefer to buy rods which are already pre painted or coated in black if possible. if painting myself I was going to leave the ends which will be threaded in painted for ease of use.
Sorry, I thought you had sourced a threaded aluminum rod.
I have no idea other than just google.
I've use aluminum channel, angle, and flat stock in the past.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 133 66.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.0%
Back