White particles in phyto?

Adam1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

For those of you that are culturing (or have cultured) phyto, have you ever noticed white particles developing?

If so, any idea what they are and if they can be fed to the reef or need to be filtered out, or even not used?

I’ve got two cultures going; one has these white particles and one doesn’t.

Only difference was that the one with white particles had it’s airline pop out for about a day after I first started it, that’s to say it went for a while with no water movement and normal gas exchange.

Looking forward to your advice! Videos of both with and without the particles attached.

Thanks so much!

Adam

Attachments

• IMG_1065.MOV
    26.5 MB
  • IMG_1064.MOV
    26.3 MB

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t answer the specific question, but I can maybe bump the thread for you to see if we can get you some help

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticing the same thing on my culture atm. Pretty weird everything I used was pretty darn clean. But I didn’t clean anything with alchohol so maybe it’s a crash because of a bacteria or something?

wondering if you used it or tossed the batch.

OP
OP
Adam1985

Adam1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve temporarily stopped culturing. Too little reward vs. hassle. But I do think you probably can use it.

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve temporarily stopped culturing. Too little reward vs. hassle. But I do think you probably can use it.
Sorry you feel that way, I feel the complete opposite, it’s free food for our tank man!

but looking at it more closely I thought it may be some residue from the sw mix I used. Not 100% sure but just a possibility, since I just shake up the salt and water in the jug by hand a few times. instead of running a pump to mix it

TheLandShark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same thing the bubbles don’t mix super well. I get them after about 10 days. So I’m thinking it’s when the food runs out and the phyto starts to die off. It’s not that big a deal, Just don’t let it get too bad I’ve never had any negative impacts and nitrates or phosphates because of it. When you see that it’s time to bottle your stuff and just leave the little bit of white stuff at the bottom and don’t use the last eighth of the culture for anything. Pour that part out. Start the culture again with some of the top 7/8ths.

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same thing the bubbles don’t mix super well. I get them after about 10 days. So I’m thinking it’s when the food runs out and the phyto starts to die off. It’s not that big a deal, Just don’t let it get too bad I’ve never had any negative impacts and nitrates or phosphates because of it. When you see that it’s time to bottle your stuff and just leave the little bit of white stuff at the bottom and don’t use the last eighth of the culture for anything. Pour that part out. Start the culture again with some of the top 7/8ths.
Thanks for the heads up! I haven't made any more phyto since this issue came up. But I will start it back up pretty soon and I'll keep this in mind

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back