White splotches on clownfish

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I have had a pair of clowns for about 2 years, and over the last two days I noticed some white splotches on the smaller one. It’s been eating normally and hasn’t had any noticeable change in behavior, but I’m worried that it could be a disease. There haven’t been any new fish additions to the tank, and the clownfish were quarantined, however there have been coral frag additions. There hasn’t been any recent stressor event I know of. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. #reefsquad

The splotches are near the tail of the clownfish, but not in the tail itself.
IMG_9309.jpeg
IMG_9308.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One issue is that there are some spots on your glass - so it's a little difficult to see what you mean. I suppose a disease could have been 'brought in' on coral. Seems like a disease is less likely than an injury. Could you take a closer picture - under white light?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi everyone,

I have had a pair of clowns for about 2 years, and over the last two days I noticed some white splotches on the smaller one. It’s been eating normally and hasn’t had any noticeable change in behavior, but I’m worried that it could be a disease. There haven’t been any new fish additions to the tank, and the clownfish were quarantined, however there have been coral frag additions. There hasn’t been any recent stressor event I know of. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. #reefsquad

The splotches are near the tail of the clownfish, but not in the tail itself.
IMG_9309.jpeg
IMG_9308.jpeg

These spots are circular shaped opposed to ciliated suggesting early stage ich. Can you post these pics again but under white lighting for confirmation?
is fish eating?
Is breathing normal or labored?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
These spots are circular shaped opposed to ciliated suggesting early stage ich. Can you post these pics again but under white lighting for confirmation?
is fish eating?
Is breathing normal or labored?
He mentioned it was eating and acting normal.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
OP
OP
A

atul176

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im questioning breathing rate
The breathing rate is definitely normal. I tried to take a pic in white light, but the movement of the fish makes it quite difficult. I hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_9313.jpeg
    IMG_9313.jpeg
    147.5 KB · Views: 30

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The breathing rate is definitely normal. I tried to take a pic in white light, but the movement of the fish makes it quite difficult. I hope this helps.
I too having difficulty focusing on spots. May even be sand grains which they pick up due to their heavy mucus coat. Keep an eye on it and see if they vanish- remain the same or increase the next day to two days

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see it. If the fish has a normal respiratory rate, and there’s no excess slime I would just monitor closely for now. If it does turn into something it’s typically going to be Brooklynella or Uronema. Clowns seem to tolerate Ich fairly well, and Ich usually doesn’t make blotchy spots. So my guess (if it turned into something) would be one of the two above.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 67 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back