JCOLE

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a coral nearby? Could possibly be getting stung
See attached picture for nearby corals. I am going to get a dipping solution tomorrow to try a dip and see if that helps.
04edc249594e2ff43cbdf8046fb88576.jpg

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to be a fairly new tank. How long has the coral been in the tank and how long did you have it before this started? Also do you have your water parameters and what lighting its under. I don't think lowering the flow would cause it, generally these guys do like low flow.
The tank is over 3 months this old now. I just got back from a 4 day vacation. I am going to check my parameters tonight. I have them under 1 54w 10k T5 and 1 250w 20k halide SE bulb.

The coral has been in the tank for over a month. I got the coral from a LFS along with the closed brain, elegance coral, gsp, Duncan, and frogspawn. All others are doing well except for the Acan. The elegance and acan were in the same tank at the store.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a harsh dip. I'm sure you could use it but I only dip my LPS in seachems reef dip, it's an iodine based dip.
Yeah I was looking at that on Amazon. Its obvious I need it pretty quick as it has got substantially worse within a week. I dont think my petco has it in stock. If all I could get was Revive tomorrow would that be a good idea?

I just read the reviews for Revive on Amazon and they seem to be great.

Also, all the white spots on the coral is the skeleton under the tissue poking through. Will the coral repair itself after the dip if that's the issue?

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coral can regrow over the skeleton. The iodine dip can help prevent infection where I believe revive is a more prophylactic type dip. Better than nothing I guess but I'd be weary using it when a coral isn't in great shape. Maybe use less than recommended and for a shorter period.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a harsh dip. I'm sure you could use it but I only dip my LPS in seachems reef dip, it's an iodine based dip.
I just bought Seachems Reef Dip off Amazon. Will be here Thursday. Hope it makes it until then.......

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to look at the coral at night after the lights have been off for a few hours.
I did Around 3:00 a.m. this morning. I didn't see anything on the coral. However, I didn't see its feeder tentacles out either like it used to. I hope it's not too far from saving.

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to dip the coral tomorrow. I did look under the coral and noticed a bunch of different things. Tube like filter feeders, something what looks like a small clam??

Could anyone help with identify what these are?
ffaf3c3ab7625227b788ecb6a7feffc8.jpg

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to be a lot of sponge. I don't think it's causing your issue. Most are pineapple sponges, harmless filter feeders
Well that sticks cause I like them. Will they die off in the dip?

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Under the 2 white things on the rim of the coral, is that aptasia?
No. It looks like a hairy clam... I am waiting for my dip to arrive today from Amazon. I will post pictures of the bottom of the coral and after I dip to see if anything comes out.

Should I place the coral back in the same spot after the dip?

OP
OP
JCOLE

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did the dip and this is what was left over. Small sand like pieces. I cannot determine anything other than this.

I guess the waiting game starts...
dd81e9a825199c484a30bf933595a1f2.jpg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back