White stringy poop after prazipro x2

Anthawk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new clowns have been in qt for sinces 7 April and have gone through 2 lots of prazipro 6 days apart and are now onto a copper treatment (Cupramine).

I have noticed some white stringy poop again..I know that white stringy poop could indicate internal parasites should I be doing another round of prazipro? Or something else? Or should it be okay?

I should add that they are eating fine and both look very healthy.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider dosing the with API General Cure. It's a powder that contains both praziquantel & metro. The praziquantel works great on some internal parasites and metro works on almost all of them. Dosing is the same as PraziPro. 1 packet per 10 gallons.

Norcalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White stringy poop is likely internal parasites. Prazi is for external. You want to soak food in focus and metro, feed twice a day.

Crashjack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had clowns and harptail blennies come out of quarantine that included 2 rounds of GC, come out with bad intestinal parasites (different quarantines). I know prazi doesn’t stay in the water long and maybe Metroplex doesn’t either. Feeding medicated food corrected my problem both times. I’m sure GC often works for internal parasites, but you might want to use medicated food knowing the fish are infected.

OP
OP
Anthawk

Anthawk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider dosing the with API General Cure. It's a powder that contains both praziquantel & metro. The praziquantel works great on some internal parasites and metro works on almost all of them. Dosing is the same as PraziPro. 1 packet per 10 gallons.
Ill have to wait till my copper treatment is done though I assume.. :/

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill have to wait till my copper treatment is done though I assume.. :/
You can dose metro while treating with copper. Better if you don't mix. But like others have posted, you can feed food + Metro + Focus directly to the fish's gut. Focus will bind the antibiotic to the food. Just use small feedings. Some like to use a turkey baster to suck up leftover food to try to keep the Metro out of the water column. Because sometimes while treating with copper, if you dose with an antibiotic like Metro, etc. you can get a heck of an algae bloom (hazy water). So careful feeding and cleanup is a great idea.

OP
OP
Anthawk

Anthawk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can dose metro while treating with copper. Better if you don't mix. But like others have posted, you can feed food + Metro + Focus directly to the fish's gut. Focus will bind the antibiotic to the food. Just use small feedings. Some like to use a turkey baster to suck up leftover food to try to keep the Metro out of the water column. Because sometimes while treating with copper, if you dose with an antibiotic like Metro, etc. you can get a heck of an algae bloom (hazy water). So careful feeding and cleanup is a great idea.

So if I use focus + metro it will be safe while using the copper? Also Metro is proving difficult to find here in Australia :/

OP
OP
Anthawk

Anthawk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can mix GC or Prazipro with copper; just increase gas exchange to compensate for the possibility of oxygen depletion.

I'm trying to source some GC but struggling here...I think Australia needs a Humblefish because hardly anyone quarantining at all here

OP
OP
Anthawk

Anthawk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can mix GC or Prazipro with copper; just increase gas exchange to compensate for the possibility of oxygen depletion.

Just had confirmed buy a lfs that we can't import the Seachem metroplex into Australia because it is stopped by customs...back to square one :( any suggestions humble?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had confirmed buy a lfs that we can't import the Seachem metroplex into Australia because it is stopped by customs...back to square one :( any suggestions humble?

Can you get praziquantel or fenbendazole? The former will treat some (but not all) intestinal worms, whereas the latter is an experimental treatment I have been working on. For both meds, food soaking works better than dosing to treat internal issues.

OP
OP
Anthawk

Anthawk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get praziquantel or fenbendazole? The former will treat some (but not all) intestinal worms, whereas the latter is an experimental treatment I have been working on. For both meds, food soaking works better than dosing to treat internal issues.

I have prazipro and they have gone through 2 doses of that 6 days apart..fenbendazole im not sure ill have to look

OP
OP
Anthawk

Anthawk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but you'll need to use a binder (such as Seachem Focus) to prevent the medication from just leaching out of the food.
Update: I FOUND SOME on eBay! Coming from within Australia.. a bit pricey but going to get it anyway. It's such a pity we dont have access to the same type of care for our fish health here in Aus

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I FOUND SOME on eBay! Coming from within Australia.. a bit pricey but going to get it anyway. It's such a pity we dont have access to the same type of care for our fish health here in Aus

Excessive government regulation is a double-edged sword, my friend. ;)

On a slightly different note, fish from Australia are generally some of the best/healthiest specimens one can get. However, the high cost of those fish makes them a rarity in the US market. We are more likely to import fish from Indonesia, Maldives, Philippines, etc. because they are cheaper.

OP
OP
Anthawk

Anthawk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excessive government regulation is a double-edged sword, my friend. ;)

On a slightly different note, fish from Australia are generally some of the best/healthiest specimens one can get. However, the high cost of those fish makes them a rarity in the US market. We are more likely to import fish from Indonesia, Maldives, Philippines, etc. because they are cheaper.

Pro's and con's i guess! thanks for the help as always :)

OP
OP
Anthawk

Anthawk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
clownpoop.jpg

Ok so I've been feeding metro'd food for over a week now but the poop is still like this... best picture I could get..its not super stringy but more just pellets? if that makes sense? @Humblefish any suggestions? Just keep going with it?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I've been feeding metro'd food for over a week now but the poop is still like this... best picture I could get..its not super stringy but more just pellets? if that makes sense? @Humblefish any suggestions? Just keep going with it?

I would keep going with metro; however if there's any way you could also obtain praziquantel and/or fenbendazole, try food soaking those medications as well.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back