Whites patches suddenly showed up on clownfish face

jaysreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One second there was nothing there, then notice my clownfish in the corner breathing slightly fast and had these on its face.

my params:
8 dKH
460 calcium
1350 Magnesium
0 ammonia
0 nitrites
0 nitrate
35ppt salt gravity
Tank has been running 7 months

I’m thinking it might have gotten stung by something in my tank. Currently have couple of sps frags, 3 hammers, 1 acan, 1 goniopora and my RBA. My other clownfish is doing just fine and swimming around normally.

3E063086-83DA-490A-BC5E-920096E6EFC2.jpeg 6AC89AC7-EDB0-483E-A130-79916E806396.jpeg F5A619E4-87FE-4AB8-8033-6D509EEE9A96.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Would have loved to see some side shots of its body.
How is its breathing
Is it eating or has stopped
Is fush hanging by surface?
Is it acting lethargic at times ?

Most stings will be black marks/dots and not white.

OP
OP
J

jaysreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is its breathing

I had just fed it right before and it had its normal crazy appetite goes after all the food before the male even has a chance. Nothing visible on its body, also Color is not faded at all, and not hanging out by the surface. It is near the middle/bottom and the fast breathing does not seem like it is gasping for air but rather like something stressed it out.

Only thing I forgot to mention was that I have some digitate hydroids, could they have done something if it tried eating them? Because this fish has a tendency to pick at things(my guess is pods) the rocks.

OP
OP
J

jaysreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is its breathing

here’s a video, my lights are about to turn off for the night so it’s a bit dark and my clown looks black and white in the video but it’s mostly orange with some black.

breathing isn’t as rapid as before now and is swimming around more then before. Still nothing showing on its body though just what we can see on its face and it doesn’t look like ich.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Digitate hydroids do pack a punch with stings
Can it be, hard to say. Could be bacterial. Will see if I can open video in a bit- won’t open in my phone

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
here’s a video, my lights are about to turn off for the night so it’s a bit dark and my clown looks black and white in the video but it’s mostly orange with some black.

breathing isn’t as rapid as before now and is swimming around more then before. Still nothing showing on its body though just what we can see on its face and it doesn’t look like ich.
Was able to watch video. Overall - behavior seems normal. Not parasitical nor seems like sting. Could very well be post injury with discoloration. Keep an eye on it for progression of healing and not worsening.
You could entertain having med on hand just in case. Ruby Rally pro or kanaplex are good ones to have

OP
OP
J

jaysreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was able to watch video. Overall - behavior seems normal. Not parasitical nor seems like sting. Could very well be post injury with discoloration. Keep an eye on it for progression of healing and not worsening.
You could entertain having med on hand just in case. Ruby Rally pro or kanaplex are good ones to have
So today no more white patches can be seen on its face and seems to have gone back to normal from what I can tell. Not sure what happened but hopefully all is well. Thank you!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So today no more white patches can be seen on its face and seems to have gone back to normal from what I can tell. Not sure what happened but hopefully all is well. Thank you!
As suspected. Glad outcome is positive

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: It took a few hours to get the tank all prepared, but I finally got Luxo into quarantine, and I’m waiting on the goby to fall for the trap. Definitely velvet, or something of the nature. The skin is very fuzzy. There are a couple prominent spots that look like ich, but the spots seem way too wild for that.
75517561-2B5B-4955-8757-1C8876800BAB.jpeg

The goby is eating pellets like a pig while the clown has stopped eating altogether. No elevated breathing, but I’m still not too confident in the clown’s survival…

I’m going to lower the lighting time in my tank while the velvet is around, but not too much as I don’t wanna harm the corals. I was planning on expanding my CUC so maybe I’ll do that at the start of fallow.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: It took a few hours to get the tank all prepared, but I finally got Luxo into quarantine, and I’m waiting on the goby to fall for the trap. Definitely velvet, or something of the nature. The skin is very fuzzy. There are a couple prominent spots that look like ich, but the spots seem way too wild for that.
75517561-2B5B-4955-8757-1C8876800BAB.jpeg

The goby is eating pellets like a pig while the clown has stopped eating altogether. No elevated breathing, but I’m still not too confident in the clown’s survival…

I’m going to lower the lighting time in my tank while the velvet is around, but not too much as I don’t wanna harm the corals. I was planning on expanding my CUC so maybe I’ll do that at the start of fallow.
Just realized I put this in the wrong thread.
Sorry

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 101 43.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 78 33.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 37 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.3%
Back