Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jokerman826

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ONE LFS that i would trust to drop in. He proactively treats as soon as the fish come in. I DO NOT trust liveaquaria diver's den. they claim they treat, but i have received fish from them that have been infected with something. A place that claims they quarantine all their fish, and that quarantine is only observation, is not a place i would trust.

Blb472

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally don't skip qt but I did on my last fish. My lfs treats all their fish and this one had been treated there for a month. Its the only shop out of all the ones close to me id trust enough though

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think someone should always quarantine fish/inverts/corals for at least 30 days before anything goes in the tank, it's just not worth the risk. Imagine someone spent 3k on livestock, then put a 1 dollar hermit crab in the tank that had velvet encyst on its shell. It would devastate the inhabitants and your mental health. It's not fair to yourself or the fish IMO.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want this thread to be part of our cycling thread under when to add fish after cycle completes, added. Shows unison in approach using the specific practice which gains the highest fish retention among today's options in the fish disease forum.

When someone can add fish after completing today's mighty easy speed cycle from a bottle is a big deal

Its not about ammonia control we're spoiled rotten it's easy to control with dilution plus hungry bac

The right time to add fish is when they're least likely to die from disease, today's best protocol for highest retention% among samples is fallow and qt in some manner.

Bagged wet sand isn't a vector it sits in a bag months

A dry start setup boosted by fritz is also vector free...adding qt fish after a dry start cycle with zero fallow is technically legal lol
But the new corals and cuc need fallow, its not gaining much to start with fish. In my ideal tank, fish go into a full matured reef I wouldn't start with them, too much bioload. I'd bulk up corals first for two years.

Steve McGlamery

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always dipped my corals but, never quarantine my corals, fish yes, corals no. Over 3 years since I added my last coral I notices bubble algae and aiptasia. have no idea where they can from

Strangewaterchange

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it true that liveaquaria diver's den does quarantining before shipping out?

Planning to get my first clownfish directly from ora!
I've gotten a few corals from divers den and each one has had a hitchiker (bristleworms, serpent stars, vermetid snails). I've gotten every fish I have from ORA though and every one was very healthy and still doing great 10/10 would get from them again.

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've grown more and more wary as my tank becomes rather full and my livestock investment grows larger. That said:

I trust reefcleaners, I've never had any issues with them. I also drop fish from TSM Aquatics in directly, as they follow strict QT practices in the shop.

Disclaimer- This is my personal comfort level. There's no promises implied.

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a note regarding ORA Fish in case new hobbyists aren't aware: when you order an ORA fish from sites like LiveAquaria, Bluezoo, and such, they typically ship straight from ORA.

But that may not be the case with every vendor. So, you may want to confirm with the vendor whether it's direct ship from ORA ... or if it passes through the vendors store/facility first, then comes to you.

Ratsinmyhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I trust Elliot from Marine Collectors and New Wave Aquaria (mpls MN)
I second @New Wave Aquaria! My first tank has been up for 20 months now. I have 9 fish so far, and multiple coral and inverts. Acclimate for half hour and drop in tank. I know there is always a risk with any purchase but I have not been let down yet and I appreciate that. Tank has vermetid now but I am positive (visible all over frag plug and never had before) that they came in on the one great craigslist “deal” I bought. I learned just scraping a frag plug is not all that is needed to keep pests out.

Coralsdaily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want this thread to be part of our cycling thread under when to add fish after cycle completes, added. Shows unison in approach using the specific practice which gains the highest fish retention among today's options in the fish disease forum.

When someone can add fish after completing today's mighty easy speed cycle from a bottle is a big deal

Its not about ammonia control we're spoiled rotten it's easy to control with dilution plus hungry bac

The right time to add fish is when they're least likely to die from disease, today's best protocol for highest retention% among samples is fallow and qt in some manner.

Bagged wet sand isn't a vector it sits in a bag months

A dry start setup boosted by fritz is also vector free...adding qt fish after a dry start cycle with zero fallow is technically legal lol
But the new corals and cuc need fallow, its not gaining much to start with fish. In my ideal tank, fish go into a full matured reef I wouldn't start with them, too much bioload. I'd bulk up corals first for two years.
I'm on board with this suggestion. I think it should be a common courtesy for store to include a complimentary 20 G tank if a customer purchases a 200G tank to be used as a quarantine. And I wish that all tanks marked "reef ready" should be sold with a handbook to include instruction for cycling, quarantine, water chemistry, and how many tangs one can safely fit in this tank along with all the other common sense safety statements.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second @New Wave Aquaria! My first tank has been up for 20 months now. I have 9 fish so far, and multiple coral and inverts. Acclimate for half hour and drop in tank. I know there is always a risk with any purchase but I have not been let down yet and I appreciate that. Tank has vermetid now but I am positive (visible all over frag plug and never had before) that they came in on the one great craigslist “deal” I bought. I learned just scraping a frag plug is not all that is needed to keep pests out.
Where you from? Western Wisconsin here. That place is pretty dope for a LFS

Silverfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust your eyes! If a fish looks super healthy That is the one I purchase. I have never quarantined. I believe stress is the worst enemy of a fish. If you get a healthy one and your tank is healthy everything should take care of itself. Ich and other diseases I believe are always present and a fish that have strong immunity will keep it in check. By unnecessarily quarantining and stressing your fish I believe you exacerbate these problems. I got ich one time on a gramma and she got it from a Pakistani Angel. He was bullied by a tang and began to eat corals. I spent a lot of time catching him and created much stress in the tank. When I caught him and things settled down things improved. The gramma recovered and is still with me today almost 3 years later. The ich, I’m sure is still there, so why don't my other fish have it.
This is just my opinion and I feel that whichever way provides you with healthy fish is AOK.

aalhait

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trusting LiveAquaria for over 20 years! Never quarantined

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 72 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 70 50.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 35 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.5%

Back