Who else works the graveyard shift?

Jeepguy242

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i worked graveyard for almost 20 years.... im on seconds now and hope i will never have to go back... however i do stay up till 3am and enjoy some frosty beverages and sleep in...

OP
OP
red13

red13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been on for 2 years now. My frosty beverage comes Thusday at 7am. Thats Friday night in my world. And then when I wake up so when the boss calls for OT i have a good reason not to go in.

Jeepguy242

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been on for 2 years now. My frosty beverage comes Thusday at 7am. Thats Friday night in my world.

when i moved into my first house in florida, i didn't see my new neighbors for several months.... one day after a run in with an undesirable element tied in with my neighbors daughter (long story) my neighbor came over to thank me and introduce himself....

he asked me if i actually had a job and what i do for a living, because he frequently say me drinking a beer in the garage with a few friends from work at 7 am while he was leaving for his job... when i told him that i was an aircraft mechanic and i work 3rd shift he laughed... he understood that my 7am was my beer:30...

best neighbor you could ever ask for... he started making sure i was awake before mowing his lawn...

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am right now [emoji36]

I can not get used to the sleep... My body will just not allow it. Usually I'm on seconds, but per my contact I have to do mids after nine months until I'm senior enough to get days

OP
OP
red13

red13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when i moved into my first house in florida, i didn't see my new neighbors for several months.... one day after a run in with an undesirable element tied in with my neighbors daughter (long story) my neighbor came over to thank me and introduce himself....

he asked me if i actually had a job and what i do for a living, because he frequently say me drinking a beer in the garage with a few friends from work at 7 am while he was leaving for his job... when i told him that i was an aircraft mechanic and i work 3rd shift he laughed... he understood that my 7am was my beer:30...

best neighbor you could ever ask for... he started making sure i was awake before mowing his lawn...

About i had been working at the aquarium for a couple months, and had a rough night. I forgot to close a valve and blasted myself with about 5,000 gallons of very cold seal water. I got home went straight to the fridge and cracked a beer. My wife looked at me funny. Then she said I guess its ok, its night time for you

OP
OP
red13

red13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am right now [emoji36]

I can not get used to the sleep... My body will just not allow it. Usually I'm on seconds, but per my contact I have to do mids after nine months until I'm senior enough to get days
It took me about a month to get used to it. I had to find the darkest spot in the house to sleep. So now i sleep in the walk in closet suring the week

Jeepguy242

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About i had been working at the aquarium for a couple months, and had a rough night. I forgot to close a valve and blasted myself with about 5,000 gallons of very cold seal water. I got home went straight to the fridge and cracked a beer. My wife looked at me funny. Then she said I guess its ok, its night time for you

its always beer:30 somewhere!!!!

there is a song about it so it must be true LOL

Jeepguy242

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my father was a 3rd shifter.... also an aircraft mechanic.... he told me to get used to sleeping in daylight... that was the best advice he ever gave me... he was so right....

i can sleep anywhere now, even in front of my aquarium with 3 MH lights and 2 reefbrite LED's blasting me...

SaltLifer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im a nurse. Work 12 hour overnights. We have a local bar that opens at 6am and we’re all planning a trip for tomorrow morning haha.

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im a nurse. Work 12 hour overnights. We have a local bar that opens at 6am and we’re all planning a trip for tomorrow morning haha.

I'm usually too tired to do anything once I get out haha. If I have a single beer I'll be equivalent to blowing a .10 cause I'm so tired lol

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been on nights for almost 5 years, and I have no plans to stop! The work atmosphere between shifts is night and day (pun totally intended), and nights just suits me better. My nights off are erratic, but when I have the time, I'm always checking stuff out on here! I'd make a comment about cold beer, but it's "freeze your ovaries off" cold outside and I'd prefer a hot drink, so I'll be making myself a hot toddy instead! :D

Oh, and @Murica if you own your dwelling, consider painting your bedroom window black. When I rented, I used a combo of cardboard, duct tape, foil, black poster board, and blackout curtains, and still got some light bleeding through. When I bought a house, I spray painted my bedroom window black, and now my room is darker than a politician's soul. It helps immensely with the sleeping thing. Plus, if need be, I can easily open the window if I ever want to- like if I'm off work and want to air out my room during the day or something. When I had three or four layers of stuff attached, I couldn't even get to the latch.

OP
OP
red13

red13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been on nights for almost 5 years, and I have no plans to stop! The work atmosphere between shifts is night and day (pun totally intended), and nights just suits me better. My nights off are erratic, but when I have the time, I'm always checking stuff out on here! I'd make a comment about cold beer, but it's "freeze your ovaries off" cold outside and I'd prefer a hot drink, so I'll be making myself a hot toddy instead! :D
The work environment is defiantly one of the best parts of working graveyard. I generally work alone, there are two security guards on duty, but I rarely see them. I set my own pace take breaks when I need to, and when I'm done with the work for the night, I watch movies, or read. Plus I get to watch some amazing sunsets over the Pacific during the summer months.

@Murica another tip, one I learned the hard way, be careful with the coffee, it was really messing with my sleep when I first started. For me I won't have any more coffee after 2am, I get off at 6. If I want something other than water I'll have an herbal tea.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Will be starting a new job in a couple of weeks my new hours will be from 16.00-23.00 .. i worked for 30 years in construction getting up at 05.00 in the mornings ..

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
c0c4b562313e24bda96ed5fcc50ae6e1.png

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got off work. Work 6p-1a every weekday. Home at 2:15a. Drinking a beer on the train now.

I used to cover 1a to 8a sometimes and would always have a beer on the train with the bleary eyed folks heading to work.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back