Who Gave Her a Big Girl Tank?! helen ann's 56g Reef Savvy!

OP
OP
helen ann

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
still have issues with the gyre pick up sand?
No Gyre?!?! I am using ecotech ... hmmmmmm, not paying attention??!?! :p
Not blowing around now, was blowing around when the water was cloudy and we were adjusting the powerheads, so now that I can see ... will spread out the sand and adjust rock structure and look, but have a feeling some needs to come out! :rolleyes:

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No Gyre?!?! I am using ecotech ... hmmmmmm, not paying attention??!?! :p
Not blowing around now, was blowing around when the water was cloudy and we were adjusting the powerheads, so now that I can see ... will spread out the sand and adjust rock structure and look, but have a feeling some needs to come out! :rolleyes:
:cool:

I went with a inch of the bottom, I have a MP 40 down low and have the flow deflected off some of the rock, and also put a couple of small flat rocks to keep the sand from blowing around.

OP
OP
helen ann

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:cool:

I went with a inch of the bottom, I have a MP 40 down low and have the flow deflected off some of the rock, and also put a couple of small flat rocks to keep the sand from blowing around.
Yeah, I am looking at doing about 1.5 inches.
So, just looking at it now ... Houston we might have a problem!;)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I did my tank I did not add any chemicals to it. Just put in a chunk of live rock and let it to do its thing. It worked. Took me about 3 weeks before the water was ok. Mind you not perfect but ok. Another 3 weeks and it was good.
I completely agree that additives are completely optional in a new tank. There just wasn't much else out there to tease Helen about! :p

OP
OP
helen ann

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely agree that additives are completely optional in a new tank. There just wasn't much else out there to tease Helen about! :p
Exhibit A of why this is needed ... ;):p:)

upload_2016-12-4_9-41-49.png

Last edited:

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
;)

This lil' tang is on my short list ... I know I know am short a few gallons :rolleyes:

upload_2016-12-4_9-43-38.png
Kole tangs are great fish. I have a hippo and sailfin tang know I will have to rehome at some point.

Yes, I can agree you are short a few gallons:D

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG OMG OMG ... This FISH!!!
Went to get more coffee and came back to check tank for about the 100th time and look who just sitting here!!!:eek::mad::):):)

IMG_9615.JPG
I was getting a little worried for you. Glad he made an appearance. Congrats on the new tank. Following along in the background as per usual. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

OP
OP
helen ann

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was getting a little worried for you. Glad he made an appearance. Congrats on the new tank. Following along in the background as per usual. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Hi!!!!

Thanks Hun, yes the lil' monster he is!

Thanks ... I am simply in awe of my new tank!!!
No problem ... on the lurking will let you slide!

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
;)

This lil' tang is on my short list ... I know I know am short a few gallons :rolleyes:

upload_2016-12-4_9-43-38.png
We just added one to our tank last weekend. LFS had him for just over a month in his dt. Had to wait till he cleared out some of his corals and rock. He seemed to hide a lot in the LFS tank but he's right out in front in our tank.

20161126_175725.jpg

OP
OP
helen ann

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We just added one to our tank last weekend. LFS had him for just over a month in his dt. Had to wait till he cleared out some of his corals and rock. He seemed to hide a lot in the LFS tank but he's right out in front in our tank.

20161126_175725.jpg
Awwww pretty!:)
Jealous ... Especially since everyone told me NO!!!:rolleyes:

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth, I have one in a 65. Possibly due to the small size of the tank (even though she's not a _very_ big kole), she's kind of a jerk - especially to my starry blenny, who she views as a competitor for algae. Hopefully, she's better behaved in the 220!

~Bruce

OP
OP
helen ann

helen ann

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth, I have one in a 65. Possibly due to the small size of the tank (even though she's not a _very_ big kole), she's kind of a jerk - especially to my starry blenny, who she views as a competitor for algae. Hopefully, she's better behaved in the 220!

~Bruce
Oh No!!!
Thanks for letting me know!!!;)
Congrats on the 220!!:)
Mr. Cutie!!! Off the short list!!!:eek:

USMC4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 tangs in my 65. The thing is my big tank went poof when the brace snapped. So 65 is the only thing I can afford at the moment. My filtration took a hit too :( but the good thing is that they do not fight or bug anyone.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back