6A48183B-F339-4A6F-B808-0B73B53334A4.jpeg

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need one of those too do you guys ship? serious question
Only within canada but the whole salix genus contain IBA in the vascular cambium so find a mature tree you like, take some cuttings (cut at 45°) and then stick them in water they'll root without rooting hormone, rooting hormones active ingredient is IBA.

coralfishreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think flow and light effects how long the polyps are?

I bought a toadstool with very long polyps as a frag at the LFS but its shorter in my tank (but still long). I assume just different conditions.
Yes. Probably affected by flow, light, parameters, and available nutrients. My frag from Aquacorals looked just like the photo on Penny’s (Aquacorals) website. I picked it out in person. Penny’s frag tanks have very little flow and low lighting from what I recall. My soft coral tank has a ton of flow and high PAR, more than enough to grow SPS.

coralfishreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you post pics for us?
I emailed MF a while back to ask about WW. he said he is no longer calling it a weeping willow but a long polyp toad. i appreciate the honesty as he said so many vendors are calling anything with above average polyps WW.

anyway I ( we) would love to see what you got. did you get the green or the tan one?
Tank lights are off right now. This photo is a couple of months old. The Aquacorals weeping willow is on the left, is 3 years old, and started off the size of a golf ball. The Marinefarmers weeping willow is on the right, is around 1.5 years old, and started off the size of a marble.

This photo doesn’t show the long polyps because it isn’t recent, but there is a no name, twin leather directly to the left of the Marinefarmers ww that is tan and just recently developed very long polyps. I picked up the no name, twin leather from the bargain frag tank at OSA for less than $15… I’ll take a new photo tomorrow afternoon after the tank lights have been on.

7339B74D-84FB-4616-82E3-ADE870580EBE.jpeg

Bigdaddy05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm probably going to sound obdurate -- but who made Jake Adams the gatekeeper of this particular...cultivar? Was this done by popular vote? A consensus in the scientific community after a forensic analysis? The fish in his tanks? I'm sure he's a lovely person, but I'm not sure what the point might be of an article that posits the writer as the owner of a supposedly unique (or vanishingly rare) specimen and who is also, seemingly, denying that opportunity to everyone else: I have it, and you don't!
Boasting? 10,000 reefkeeping XP? A new badge? Or maybe he's a secret mad fragger and is about to unleash a forest of weeping willow frags onto the world!! Okay, I don't believe that last one either.
I agree instead of pointing out all the games why not share one of the top reasons I got into this hobby was to learn and share with ppl that shared my interests

Bigdaddy05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iv payed a pretty penny for each of the 2 weeping willows I bought and norther are close 1 ended up being the neon green Japanese willow and the other from aqua corals that I recently moved higher and turned up the lights and flow to see if I can get it to look more like it "should" neither have polyp ends that are open

Scorpius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll upload a video of my super long polyp toadstool leather. Don't know if it's the OG one or not, but it's cool nonetheless.

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Jake also recently gave Remy @BahamaLlamaCoral his blessing/certification that one of his toadstools is officially a Weeping Willow too. So now there are maybe 3 people who have one - Jake, Remy & Sanjay.

Vita72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you post pics for us?
I emailed MF a while back to ask about WW. he said he is no longer calling it a weeping willow but a long polyp toad. i appreciate the honesty as he said so many vendors are calling anything with above average polyps WW.

anyway I ( we) would love to see what you got. did you get the green or the tan one?

beautiful do you have an adult photo of it all grown up?
20210810_200237_HDR.jpg

Bigdaddy05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think flow and light effects how long the polyps are?

I bought a toadstool with very long polyps as a frag at the LFS but its shorter in my tank (but still long). I assume just different conditions.

I know at least one of the WW sources (might have been Jake Adams) said that they seem to extend better when treated more like SPS with higher light and flow. I think that my long polyp toadstool did do better higher up in the tank with my acros but I had to move it because it was starting to crowd its neighbors. A little less happy in its new spot. And for the record, definitely not a classic WW even though it was sold as one. Still a pretty coral but I wouldn't buy from that vendor again.

Vita72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know at least one of the WW sources (might have been Jake Adams) said that they seem to extend better when treated more like SPS with higher light and flow. I think that my long polyp toadstool did do better higher up in the tank with my acros but I had to move it because it was starting to crowd its neighbors. A little less happy in its new spot. And for the record, definitely not a classic WW even though it was sold as one. Still a pretty coral but that vendor again.
This tank is my boyfriend's tank. He manages all the nutrients and what nots. I manage naming and just taking pictures of it. Lol. I just know our weeping willow. Was a little piece with an afro. Which is why I named him Bob after Bob Ross the famous painter. And that was almost 2 years ago. And he is massive. I really have not seen one as big as him yet. And the little ones are growing big as well. My boyfriend moved him around in the tank a few times. At one time we thought it was dying. But he was actually splitting. I know one thing they don't like to be moved. So since he's been in the spot where he's at now he has flourished.

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a seller that has true weeping willow frags from Asia. The only catch is that he wants $450 a frag lol. I can't possibly justify spending half a grand on a small soft coral frag. Anyways they're popular in Korea. Reefbuilders is not the only one who has this strain, it's funny how he gatekeeps the term 'weeping willow'.

QuarantinedCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my toadstool, maybe you guys can tell me if it's a true weeping willow or not, this is the one from Ali (or so that's where the lineage is said to come from)

Attachments

• B9879F95-BEC1-420E-8B35-A8756171F15C.jpeg
    B9879F95-BEC1-420E-8B35-A8756171F15C.jpeg
    198.4 KB · Views: 223
  • D7C552B5-1749-4C68-98EA-C6961E08D1F5.jpeg
    D7C552B5-1749-4C68-98EA-C6961E08D1F5.jpeg
    204.2 KB · Views: 214

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.9%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 71 42.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back