Who's interested in beta testing my Amazon Alexa / APEX skill?

OP
OP
Joe Carioti

Joe Carioti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! I’m sorry to say that I will be pausing invites for the time being while I work with Neptune’s engineering team to ensure that the Alexa Skill plays nicely with Neptune’s systems.

Anyone who has contacted me but hasn’t gotten an invite yet is on a waiting list. I haven’t forgotten about you :)

OP
OP
Joe Carioti

Joe Carioti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will preface this question with the fact that I only know what is in this thread regarding alexa and apex authentication and your application. I have not looked over the code or attempted to develop my own skills, but could you elaborate on this alexavoice user? Does it use a key or certificate of some sort to authenticate? a password? is the password dynamically created or is it the same for all instances?

I am interested in what prevents you (or anyone with access to the code) from accessing my controller?

I don’t want to elaborate too much on the details here as they’re most likely going to change shortly (for the better). Security is a top priority for me, so I will say that if this integration does not meet Neptune’s security standards, I will not release it.

cardiffgiant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for doing this. I’m a long time apex and long time alexa and smarthub user. The feed and test reading aspects alone are going to be awesome for me.

Last edited:

Jonty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to be on the list to try, thanks

r2odie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want to do this. I will be getting Alexa for Christmas. Will it work with the Echo and the Echo Show? Is either preferred? I can’t wait!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is REALLY cool!

Exotic Aquaria

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would really like to participate however do not have an apex system yet due to the cost (i just fot into the hobby about 4 months ago)

Exotic Aquaria

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to participate however do not have the apex as of yet due t9 the cost of it.

OP
OP
Joe Carioti

Joe Carioti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would really like to participate however do not have an apex system yet due to the cost (i just fot into the hobby about 4 months ago)

Welcome to reefing :)

If you end up sticking with the hobby and really start investing in livestock, a controller is definitely the way to go. While not absolutely necessary for a successful tank, the peace of mind alone is worth it for me. If you end up getting an Apex, this Alexa skill will be available to you in the future (the beta is closed now anyway). Good luck with your first tank!

Exotic Aquaria

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reefing :)

If you end up sticking with the hobby and really start investing in livestock, a controller is definitely the way to go. While not absolutely necessary for a successful tank, the peace of mind alone is worth it for me. If you end up getting an Apex, this Alexa skill will be available to you in the future (the beta is closed now anyway). Good luck with your first tank!
Thank you.

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off thank you for allowing me to participate in the beta. I love the the idea, I wanted to supply my feedback after using it for about 2 weeks. So far it works about 70% of the time. The main command I use is Alexa, tell my reef I am ready to feed. I think the failures are 100% me because it’s such a long statement. I find I have to say it very slowly and really make sure I am super clear especially with the I am part of the statement. When I say it fast it sounds more like i’m Ready to feed which Alexa won’t recognize. Is there a way to shorten the statement or add I’m so it hears both I am ready to feed and I’m ready to feed? Or maybe A command like Alexa turn on feed A or feed B? The tell my reef part seems a little clunky. Most other Alexa compatible device commands are Alexa turn on my living room lights or turn on my tv. I think shorted simpler commands would make it way more user friendly. I do love being able to use Alexa and I really appreciate your work.

kamike91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok the echo dot was delivered last week and im finally off work for a day. How do I set it up?

RPitterle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you reopen to beta testers, I'd love to give it a try. Thanks.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back