Who's interested in beta testing my Amazon Alexa / APEX skill?

Chuck Tyler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also like to be a tester as soon as you and Neptune are ready. I have a fairly extensive apex installation and should be able to do a fair amount of testing.

U

User1

View Badges
Alexa and I have this love hate relationship going on. I'm sure if I got involved and she learned about the Apex bad things would happen. Bad I tell you, bad. She is a naughty little thing.

OP
OP
Joe Carioti

Joe Carioti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update to this? Just bought a new Apex today.

I had some personal issues to take care of over the holiday season, so there wasn't much progress being made until recently. We're making good progress now. I don't want to give out any estimates as I'm usually pretty far off, and there are a lot of unknowns when it comes to new stuff like this. I will definitely update this post as I have more to share. Thanks for the patience :)

ShadowR55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m open to testing as well. I have Echo’s in every room of my house and connected to my Wink hub which pretty much controls everything in the house, so I use Alexa on a daily basis. You don’t know how many times I’ve tried telling Alexa to turn off my return pump and my wife looks at me like i’m crazy.
For TV control I have Alexa connected to the Harmony Hub and I use the command “Alexa, Tell Harmony to turn to Animal Planet”
“Alexa, Tell Apex to Turn Off the Return Pump”
What I’ve realized with using Alexa and apps is that you really need to make the command as if you are talking to an individual in a conversational manner.

ScubaShane

MENTAL REEF DISORDER!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So........guys......This is not a bash.....but.....Ive had this set-up for a while now with my Google Home. It seems more complicated with Alexa. I have two smart outlets on the end of my EB8 which my return pump and skimmer are pluged into. I named the outlet during the set up and connected the two outlets to the command "feed mode". So I say " Hey Google Feed Mode" and it turns my skimmer off for 4mins and return pump for 3mins. I programmed it through the Google Assistant. Verry easy.

ScubaShane

MENTAL REEF DISORDER!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh....just saw the videos...verry cool. Much better than my set up. You just have to make one for Google Home. Ill be your tester!

Tmcgoo13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. I've been working on an Alexa skill that allows you to use voice commands to control outlets on your APEX controller. I think the app is ready for some real world testing, so I'll need some daring participants to test it out.

Here are a few live demos from my last build:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BX0OOv5lJzP/?taken-by=nullreef
https://www.instagram.com/p/BX0N2WEFESY/?taken-by=nullreef

For anyone that's interested in testing this skill, I only ask that you report back any bugs, comments, or concerns that you have with the app. I will have to add testers on a per-person basis, and all that's required is an active email address.

Let me know if you're interested!

I’m interested are you still looking for beta testers?

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joe, Just saw this, please count me interested as well. Just set up my seventh Echo Dot yesterday, although I'm not sure dot's enough. ;Smuggrin

OP
OP
Joe Carioti

Joe Carioti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m interested are you still looking for beta testers?

Not at the moment. We should have an official release soon, though.

Joe, Just saw this, please count me interested as well. Just set up my seventh Echo Dot yesterday, although I'm not sure dot's enough. ;Smuggrin

Be on the lookout for the release announcement :)

DLHDesign

Ex-Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://forum.neptunesystems.com/showthread.php?22434-Product-development-notice

"VOICE IS COMING!
In other product development news, we have something great to announce. At RAP we will be showing off a beta version of Apex Fusion that has Amazon Alexa support. We plan on making voice control and IoT integration a key feature of the Apex going forward and this is the first step. We are starting with Alexa and then from there we will be examining the viability of Apple Homekit (Siri) as well as other voice tech out there. We will be demoing Alexa control and feedback at the booth at RAP so be sure to stop on by for a demo. Voice integration is not just a gimmick, there are some really helpful ways it takes your Apex to the next level and delivers on our promise of “less hassle”. And yes, it will work with an Apex Classic and Apex Jr."

nero0762

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://forum.neptunesystems.com/showthread.php?22434-Product-development-notice

"VOICE IS COMING!
In other product development news, we have something great to announce. At RAP we will be showing off a beta version of Apex Fusion that has Amazon Alexa support. We plan on making voice control and IoT integration a key feature of the Apex going forward and this is the first step. We are starting with Alexa and then from there we will be examining the viability of Apple Homekit (Siri) as well as other voice tech out there. We will be demoing Alexa control and feedback at the booth at RAP so be sure to stop on by for a demo. Voice integration is not just a gimmick, there are some really helpful ways it takes your Apex to the next level and delivers on our promise of “less hassle”. And yes, it will work with an Apex Classic and Apex Jr."

Is it safe to assume that this is based off the original poster's project?

OP
OP
Joe Carioti

Joe Carioti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a short demo from RAP Orlando (go to 13:30 if it doesn't start from there already):

shahin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is really cool... waiting for the official release... Do we still have a date? :)

dtownsend001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is so awesome Joe, can't wait for it to be released as I've had an Echo Show next to my Aquarium in the Living Room for over a year now. Also have other Echo devices in every room and it would be so cool to be able to use it for my Aquarium as it is one of the few " dumb things" left in my house that aren't already smart controlled.

Back