Why All Frags Turning Green?

Giddyup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fascinating topic .... I stood next to a guy buying 600 dollars worth of frags from Jason Fox’s booth at last years RAP.. He had all T5 of a home large reef and said 16 inches off water? Not where I have mine 10-12 inches.. He was very specific... Implying too close would slow growth and color? I have too many green corals too... I wonder if I should raise lights a bit.... Wish I knew more [emoji20]

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fascinating topic .... I stood next to a guy buying 600 dollars worth of frags from Jason Fox’s booth at last years RAP.. He had all T5 of a home large reef and said 16 inches off water? Not where I have mine 10-12 inches.. He was very specific... I have too many green corals too... I wonder if I should raise lights a bit.... Wish I knew more :(
We do this hobby primarily to lern more.
IMO , 12 in is about right. Try reducing the the peak amount of time the all the tubes are on first.
Or raise the ligh a bit.
What ever is the least pain in the but.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious if this is really true? I do have a couple acros that are nice and healthy but green. I do use blue T5s and my LEDs are 100% blue, 40% white.
I belive so. It was very anecdotal in my internet and forum research at first , then I had some small spots of it . Then I turned several acros green myself.
I even turned two ricordia mushrooms green. (On the sand bed. Even)
But many other corals in The tank did not green.

OP
OP
wiselyy73

wiselyy73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two kessil set on 5/5 from 9am to 30/30 at 2pm. 6 bulbs of T5 fixture. Two b+ on from 2-2:30 and 9:30pm to 10pm. Rest of 4 bulbs on from 2:30 to 9:30. They are b+, p+, c+, AquaB. Kessil runs down from 30/30 to Off from 9:30pm to midnight.

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its pretty normal for corals to go green when adjusting to new lighting or new tank... I had one go green for 8 months before it finally got its color while others have done it in a month... just depends. This also happens if you get a brown out either from swings or other stress, they will be brown, green, color. I personally wouldn't do anything other than wait it out...

eddius_maximus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, I was thinking the opposite.

Likewise, this has been my experience as well. Too little light.

FWIW, my solution to all color shifts has largely been the same. Too dark? Browning out? Shifting green? Shifting purple? I just wait, knowing in a few weeks or months I'll wake up to a pleasant surprise as the acropora acclimate to my lighting.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a tri color vileda that was close to the led along the back of my 30 cube with a mh overhead.
The back half of the Vileda turned green.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is why I run halides. they are on or they are off. when they are on, the spectrum is great.

like others said... I would just wait it out.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is why I run halides. they are on or they are off. when they are on, the spectrum is great.

like others said... I would just wait it out.
Lol. I got this wisdom and confirmation of the phenomenon from the old school halide and t5 Guys.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
word. if I lived in Florida I would run led, but I live in oregon so energy wise it's a wash for me. heaters or halides- either way I am spending the money.
Hahaha.
Rub it in. I’m in So cal. Led for me

DancingShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience with this they are acclimating to your lights and tank.

For me colors go like this,
Brown, green ,colorful.

Or colorful, washed out/small beach, green, colorful.

It always take time. How long are these pieces in your tank. They will take months to color up for me.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 6 bulb ATI is fine with those bulbs in it. If you are really worried about lighting, then turn the Kessils off, but I seriously doubt that this is the problem, either. I would run all 6 T5 bulbs for 10-11 hours, though.

Green is a transition color for most acropora that are not full-time green. They could be transitioning to brown, which would mean an excess of zoox usually with too many building blocks and organic carbon allowing the zoox to flourish and overpopulate. They could have just gotten stressed and are transitioning back to their normal colors - sometimes when this happens, you never really get the color back in the old colony (stays greenish), but you do in the new growth... which is no big deal since the old frag is quickly overgrown with new growth.

Light green can sometimes mean transition to better color whereas darker can mean transition to brown. Photos really might help, if you have any.

...so I have a few questions... what are your exact building block levels (nitrate and phosphate)? Do you dose any true nutrients (organic carbon)? Are you seeing new growth? Is your coralline popping up everywhere and creating new spots on the glass?

OP
OP
wiselyy73

wiselyy73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not tested the block level for few months. I did 20% water change every 3 weeks.
Some corals have new growth some not.
I do see coralline pop here and there on glasses but my rocks never got purple coralline though.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 13 68.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 5.3%
Back