Why are some people anti-waterchanges?

Raul-7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With Moonshiners, Triton, etc. the goal is a self-sufficient system. But how can that be when there are immeasurable DOCs, toxins, etc. that are not being removed and left to build-up overtime? Why do we ignore common sense in hopes of avoiding waterchanges?

Why is it with FW hobbyists they are more religious about their waterchanges, while SW [some not all] hobbyists are looking for ways to avoid them?

Isn't it cheaper and better overall to do waterchanges and play it safe rather than risk stunting, algae problems, coral die offs, etc.?

This isn't meant to offend, just to open a discussion on this issue as it is concerning. :)

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large, > 10%, Water changes change the water parameters. We strive for stability.
The docs can possibly be removed by other means, gac, skimmer, ozone, and perhaps other processes.
If water stability is the goal, why perturb that with large water changes?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Laziness in a word.

Saying that it is far far cheaper to do a FW water changes. Especially now that salt prices have gone up so much. With two large tanks the amount of salt I have to buy to do regular water changes is a bit depressing.

Last edited:

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In 18+ years and thousands and thousands of threads I’ve never once seen someone have issues because they performed routine water changes from what I recall.

Bad batches of salt are so rare I don’t even factor them into the equation.

I once ran a 7.5G tank on nothing but 100% weekly water changes with a good salt. Tank flourished for more than a year before we moved and I transferred it to a 24g tank.

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 18+ years and thousands and thousands of threads I’ve never once seen someone have issues because they performed routine water changes from what I recall.

Bad batches of salt are so rare I don’t even factor them into the equation.

I once ran a 7.5G tank on nothing but 100% weekly water changes with a good salt. Tank flourished for more than a year before we moved and I transferred it to a 24g tank.
In 18+ years as you say, thousands of pennies lost.... I very much doubt this will be a living, it will become a side job at the least. We are getting pushed into poverty

56longroof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In 18+ years as you say, thousands of pennies lost.... I very much doubt this will be a living, it will become a side job at the least. We are getting pushed into poverty
They will only push us into poverty if we let them.

AlexandraDreadlocksPanda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stability, first and foremost.
Secondly, If you have everything balanced, water changes are unnecessary.
Freshwater keepers are stuck with water changing because they can’t utilise Carbon dosing to consume NO3 & PO4 as it requires a protein skimmer to remove the bacterial flocculation…

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

If doing water changes pushes you into poverty, it’s probably not the best hobby to be in. Not gate keeping here just saying it’s not financially smart to be in an expensive hobby if you don’t have a lot of disposable income

Someshmuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can depend on a lot of factors as to why people chose to stop water changing. Personally I don't do water changes for anything including when using medication as a 20% water change won't completely remove the medicine (mystery why vendors recommend to do water changes with this in mind) and so far I'm going on 1 year since my last serious water change (only adding salt to correct for any loses due to leaks or removal from my protein skimmer) so far my SPS and LPS are alive, happy, and growing.

Imo although people have had good results from water changes, other reef keeping habits and equipment do a far better job maintaining stability and water quality in the tank and water changes had always seemed to be too much trouble for the value it brings when going >50 gallon tanks.

1. Water change difficulty ramps in difficulty the larger you go. 5 gallons is 40 pounds and having to make, move, water changes greater than 10 gallons requires planning and strength to get right. On top of disposing of the 10 gallons of tank water. (reef keeping is a hobby and should not feel like a job)

2. Short and long term costs of salt and rodi equipment.

3. Source of water, quality of salt, etc. (I've heard stories of their LFS making saltwater with tap water and their customers being non the wise)

4. The freshly made saltwater is not at the same parameters you're maintaining in the tank, requiring cal/alk/mag/element correction.

5. They trust that their filtration and dosing regiment is tuned to keep the tank clean and happy.

6. Increased stability in the tank due to not worrying about point 3 and 4.

7. Low percent water changes do not significantly impact or improve water parameters and can't be used as a corrective measure for anything in the tank. (doing a 20% water change to reduce 20ppm of nitrates will only drop it to 16ppm)

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does one go about a 100% water change? Not trying to be contradictory,,, just curious.
FWIW, I'm in the camp of believing that regular water changes are useful and not much of a financial burden (for my smallish tank, anyway).

OP
OP
Raul-7

Raul-7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stability, first and foremost.
Secondly, If you have everything balanced, water changes are unnecessary.
Freshwater keepers are stuck with water changing because they can’t utilise Carbon dosing to consume NO3 & PO4 as it requires a protein skimmer to remove the bacterial flocculation…

This is erroneous thinking; NO3 and PO4 are not the only toxins building up overtime. FW hobbyists have the benefits of plants to remove NO3 and PO4 [they even have to dose these for high-tech setups], yet they still do waterchanges on a weekly basis to reset nutrient levels, remove DOCs, etc.

Moreover, protein skimmers do not remove all DOCs, etc. Protein skimmers were never a substitute for waterchanges. Just another arsenal in overall water filtration.

Keep in mind that SW fish are N times more expensive than FW species. So why risk their wellbeing over a couple of gallons of SW per week?

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An interesting topic. I have a 25 gallon, so a small tank. It is about a year old. I do about a 4 gallon water change every 6 weeks if it needs it. It "needs it" in my opinion when nitrates get to or >40.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always promote proper water changes. That means proper quantity and frequency. Some people have found a way to make no water changes and dosing trace elements work for them though. This is usually on very large tanks. However, there are many people who should do water changes, but won't put in the effort. Usually these are the Reefers that leave the hobby after a year or so because of algae or livestock loss. Reefing is not cheap or low maintenance. These are oceanic animals that require proper care to survive. Though the "no water change" routine is possible, it should never be the goal, imo.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back