Why cant u keep sps?

Rick5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because It's kind of ugly.

My tank? It's a work in progress. I just explained that I've overcome dry rock-related issues and dinos and I'm finally able to once again grow SPS like in the old live rock days. Give me a few months of growth before you judge.

William Mumford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank? It's a work in progress. I just explained that I've overcome dry rock-related issues and dinos and I'm finally able to once again grow SPS like in the old live rock days. Give me a few months of growth before you judge.

Definitely not saying anyones tank is ugly at all would never judge I am no pro please dont get me wrong. I was just saying about the original topic I think SPS are just ugly.

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not saying anyones tank is ugly at all would never judge I am no pro please dont get me wrong. I was just saying about the original topic I think SPS are just ugly.
My wife tells me the Acros are boring. She likes flowy colorful stuff.
Cheers! Mark

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I want to share some growth picture so you can see from frag to colony in 1.5 years
CE1CAEE3-9619-4F38-B412-0AFB24355E84.jpeg
image.jpg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone here battling near zero nutrients in a tank free of algae?

Yes for like the first year of my frag system I was too clean. I did a lot to dirty it up. Dosing NO3 and PO4; cut fuge light cycle, dry skim, etc. Finally just got a ton of big fish to dirty it up and all is well.

sgrosenb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another tank with the same problem. It's almost like an epidemic

This is my post from my tank. I started with 100% dead Reefsaver rock and dead mesoflake sand. I can't figure anything else out why my SPS are dying, so I'm going to give the beneficial bacteria / microfauna a shot. I ordered the Zeobak and Zeostart3, but more importantly I also ordered 15lbs of Live Rock from KP Aquatics that should come this week. I heard great things about them, and hopefully that will serve as a good seeding for the tank. I"ll report back with my findings after a few months. You all think 15lbs is enough to seed it?

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my post from my tank. I started with 100% dead Reefsaver rock and dead mesoflake sand. I can't figure anything else out why my SPS are dying, so I'm going to give the beneficial bacteria / microfauna a shot. I ordered the Zeobak and Zeostart3, but more importantly I also ordered 15lbs of Live Rock from KP Aquatics that should come this week. I heard great things about them, and hopefully that will serve as a good seeding for the tank. I"ll report back with my findings after a few months. You all think 15lbs is enough to seed it?
Probably.
since you’re in Naples why not go Tampa Bay saltwater?

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Please give update on your tank. About dosing u can read this thread

sgrosenb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably.
since you’re in Naples why not go Tampa Bay saltwater?
Richard from Tampa Bay Saltwater was saying that the bad weather and winds had him backed up a few weeks, so I went with KP Aquatics. Both great choices as I understand it. Might get some from Tampa Bay Saltwater in a few weeks too. The more diversity, the better - or no?

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Richard from Tampa Bay Saltwater was saying that the bad weather and winds had him backed up a few weeks, so I went with KP Aquatics. Both great choices as I understand it. Might get some from Tampa Bay Saltwater in a few weeks too. The more diversity, the better - or no?
If u can get real live rock from the ocean is great however the collection place has to be reef environment to get the right beneficial bacteria. I'm in CA and minute from ocean but I don't think the rock here will work.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul b collects from ny every year and he had much higher counts than most anyone else that tested. I would think any ocean bacteria would be better than none but I do wonder how temp affects it.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen many tanks with thriving corals that don’t have to dose any bacteria. They keep it simple: Stability, flow, light, and food.

I’ve also seen many tanks, mine included, that follow the basic principles yet have nothing but problems.

I started with cycled rock from my lfs. Rock that came out of his tanks. His tanks aren’t the little chop shop tanks that many lfs have, they are filled with very healthy colonies.

Since starting up on bacteria dosing, I am noticing small, positive, changes. But why?

Something is up. Something we aren’t finding.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah there remains much mystery. I grind hours per week on my big frag system while I do nothing beyond the basic feeding, glass cleaning and WCs on my old display as it cranks away growing more SPS than I can harvest.

Keep believing that the frag system will hit its equilibrium once I understand what it is telling me. SPS are all surviving, but my nutrients and two part dosing bounce all over the place -- all the time.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my delivery from @Bulk Reef Supply today. I just manually dosed 50%: Zeofood plus, Zeobak and Zeostart. I have been dosing Red Sea A and B which are amino and carbs daily for 4 weeks. I will add the 50% of the Zeovite tomorrow and agitated by hand.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve seen many tanks with thriving corals that don’t have to dose any bacteria. They keep it simple: Stability, flow, light, and food.

I’ve also seen many tanks, mine included, that follow the basic principles yet have nothing but problems.

I started with cycled rock from my lfs. Rock that came out of his tanks. His tanks aren’t the little chop shop tanks that many lfs have, they are filled with very healthy colonies.

Since starting up on bacteria dosing, I am noticing small, positive, changes. But why?

Something is up. Something we aren’t finding.
You need to find out if they start with dry rock or live rock from existing tank. The theory with bacteria is good for Sps is not invented by me. I compared the reef tank from now to the reef tank in the past and the only thing we are lacking is bacteria from the live rock.
The technology of equipment, additive and the hobby now adays as a whole advance 10x compare to what we had in the 90. We shouldn't have any problem keeping sps now but why are so many can't do it. I think the main reason is lacking of live rock from the ocean therefore our tank now is lacking of bacteria diversity.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got my delivery from @Bulk Reef Supply today. I just manually dosed 50%: Zeofood plus, Zeobak and Zeostart. I have been dosing Red Sea A and B which are amino and carbs daily for 4 weeks. I will add the 50% of the Zeovite tomorrow and agitated by hand.
Please keep us updated. The key to dose zeovit is slow n increase when needed. After 6 months you should see result.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back