Why cant u keep sps?

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen many tanks with thriving corals that don’t have to dose any bacteria. They keep it simple: Stability, flow, light, and food.

I’ve also seen many tanks, mine included, that follow the basic principles yet have nothing but problems.

I started with cycled rock from my lfs. Rock that came out of his tanks. His tanks aren’t the little chop shop tanks that many lfs have, they are filled with very healthy colonies.

Since starting up on bacteria dosing, I am noticing small, positive, changes. But why?

Something is up. Something we aren’t finding.
What are you dosing Bacteria wise?

corey

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to find out if they start with dry rock or live rock from existing tank. The theory with bacteria is good for Sps is not invented by me. I compared the reef tank from now to the reef tank in the past and the only thing we are lacking is bacteria from the live rock.
The technology of equipment, additive and the hobby now adays as a whole advance 10x compare to what we had in the 90. We shouldn't have any problem keeping sps now but why are so many can't do it. I think the main reason is lacking of live rock from the ocean therefore our tank now is lacking of bacteria diversity.

Hmmmm....I wonder if number of fish could also be part of the equation, as far as bacteria go?

Maybe having a large population of fish, all pooping out bacteria, is providing enough bacteria to the ta
What are you dosing Bacteria wise?

corey

Zeobak and Zeostart.

Tanggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ycnibrc. My tank have been running for a little 2 years now. I just started collecting some SPS frags. I am also dosing NOPOx to control nitrate/phosphate level. Can I use only zeobak without using the zeostart?
Thanks.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@ycnibrc. My tank have been running for a little 2 years now. I just started collecting some SPS frags. I am also dosing NOPOx to control nitrate/phosphate level. Can I use only zeobak without using the zeostart?
Thanks.
If your phosphate n nitrate are good then you don't have to dose zeostart3. If you want to quit nopox then u can dose zeostart3. Their job is adding the bacteria to consume phosphate and nitrate but more toward phosphate. A lot of carbon user have low phosphate and high nitrate is because of that reason

Tanggy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your phosphate n nitrate are good then you don't have to dose zeostart3. If you want to quit nopox then u can dose zeostart3. Their job is adding the bacteria to consume phosphate and nitrate but more toward phosphate. A lot of carbon user have low phosphate and high nitrate is because of that reason
I feed on the heavier side. My nitrate is @ 20-25 and phosphate is @ 0.08-0.1. I have the NOPOx dialed down right now and don't want to mess around with it. The instruction for zeobak states 1 drop every 25 gallon twice a week. You would recommend half that amount for about 3 months and then slowing ramp it up to the recommended dose? thanks.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I feed on the heavier side. My nitrate is @ 20-25 and phosphate is @ 0.08-0.1. I have the NOPOx dialed down right now and don't want to mess around with it. The instruction for zeobak states 1 drop every 25 gallon twice a week. You would recommend half that amount for about 3 months and then slowing ramp it up to the recommended dose? thanks.
What is your total volume

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to order the zeo products but somehow managed to forget about it. And then I’ve ordered mb7. Now I don’t know what to do:/

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe a lot of tanks will benifit from some vinegar just to boost bacteria counts. I don’t think the type is the key. I just think many are scared away from trying it from people who messed up their carbon dosing telling everyone it’s dangerous.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Vinegar only provide a few type of bacteria mainly reduce nitrate A lot of reefer dosing vinegar have high phosphate and low nitrate causing imbalance and then created algae problem. Sps need to consume both phosphate and nitrate to grow. However their cell don't absorb phosphate as good as nitrate. They can absorb nitrate much more than phosphate. Because of that reason u need to add the bacteria that's eat phosphate and then the Sps can eat the bacteria with the phosphate to provide for their need.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lou Ekus MACNA
He explains this around 30:50, which is really what this whole thread is about: specific carbon dosing. Systems/tanks that lack the vital bacteria to aid in this process need a little help, whether it's KZ, Tropic Marin, RedSea, etc...... it may be the necessary and/or missing part of a flourishing sps reef tank.
Here's another vid that may help? Lou Ekus talks w/ReefDudes

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lou Ekus MACNA
He explains this around 30:50, which is really what this whole thread is about: specific carbon dosing. Systems/tanks that lack the vital bacteria to aid in this process need a little help, whether it's KZ, Tropic Marin, RedSea, etc...... it may be the necessary and/or missing part of a flourishing sps reef tank.
Here's another vid that may help? Lou Ekus talks w/ReefDudes
Base on Lou Ekus theory I found it backing my thought on bacteria. Sps need phosphate n nitrate to grow together with photosynthesis. However Sps is effective of consume nitrate but not phosphate. That's where the bacteria come in to help since bacteria is good at consuming phosphate. Sps has body slime and feeding tenacle to catch bacteria and eat them therefore indirectly get phosphate. In the ocean the nutrients is very low however they have abundance of bacteria for Sps to feed on.
So in our reef tank it's make sense if we replicate the environment of the ocean. What make zeovit ulns tank works because they dose bacteria and keep dosing it everyday to replicate ocean water.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 62 74.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back