OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

SOCAL REEF TOTM 11/2019 GHL TOTM 02/2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For those who dose bacteria after your tank has problem keeping Sps please post result improve or not it will help to narrow down the possible cause

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those who dose bacteria after your tank has problem keeping Sps please post result improve or not it will help to narrow down the possible cause

So far so good, here. It’s still pretty early (a month) but I’m seeing improvements in some Acroporas that were on deaths door. They have gone to “recovery green” and are getting hints of original color back.

New corals are keeping their colors.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So far so good, here. It’s still pretty early (a month) but I’m seeing improvements in some Acroporas that were on deaths door. They have gone to “recovery green” and are getting hints of original color back.

New corals are keeping their colors.
Good to know thanks

RoTtEn FinZ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Anthony,I just reboot my tank and about to start with zeobac and zeostart3.How long should I increase the dose??I know,it only should dose half what they’re recommended.Now,do you recommend dose anything else beside zeobac and zeostart3.??Thanks

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi Anthony,I just reboot my tank and about to start with zeobac and zeostart3.How long should I increase the dose??I know,it only should dose half what they’re recommended.Now,do you recommend dose anything else beside zeobac and zeostart3.??Thanks
The first 4 months just dose half and monitoring your tank. Then u can increase 10% each month until full dose. Normally around 9 months your tank should be all set and ready for Sps. Beside zeobak n zeostart3 I recommend you add sponge power. When u start adding acro then u can dose Coral vitalizer and Flatworm stop for food and health enhancer. If u want to know more details about how I dose zeovit please read this

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first 4 months just dose half and monitoring your tank. Then u can increase 10% each month until full dose. Normally around 9 months your tank should be all set and ready for Sps. Beside zeobak n zeostart3 I recommend you add sponge power. When u start adding acro then u can dose Coral vitalizer and Flatworm stop for food and health enhancer. If u want to know more details about how I dose zeovit please read this

How about zeofood?

Screwloose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we always referred to it as new tank syndrome.

I started a new tank in August, and particularly struggling this time after years of success. sps beaching, browning, stripping etc.

main parameters steady and in range.

new tank was started on real reef rock which is a ceramic brand, that's been in the 'Ocean' or at least that environment, but comes dry.

anyway I presumed after lots of head scratching that it could be new tank syndrome, which was normally something you would see disappear after 6-12 months and then suddenly everything grows, but after waiting a long time watching corals in varying degrees of state. I decided to get an icp test done

main parameters were as i had tested and ideal , apart from dkh was slightly high for the nutrient levels. however a list of 11 different trace elements were undetectable at the lab o_O, so i can only think that the artifical rock must have some uptake as generally my calcium reactor has help keep these stable for many years.

couple of water changes later and trace dosing im hopefully on the right track now

LC8Sumi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also run real reef rock, and I think it totally lacks porosity & it is needed to supplement it with some kind of media that can actually house bacteria

Screwloose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also run real reef rock, and I think it totally lacks porosity & it is needed to supplement it with some kind of media that can actually house bacteria

hopefully the lack of porosity making the rock take longer to host enough bac and the trace elements sucked out is all it is, Icp was good apart from that.

i have some other bacteria hosting media in there too

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A perfect example of whats happening to most tank now

Vamsi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Anthony,
Your posts about the importance of bacteria were very informative. Thank you for doing that. I have a 200-gallon tank, and lately, I lost a bunch of corals due to elevated phosphate at 2 something (Hanna checker) and Nitrate at 64 PPM using red sea kit. So started using GFO at 1/4 the dosage and bringing the phosphate down. This evening I checked it is .95. The colors on some of the bleached corals seem to be improving. Would using any of the zeovit products benefit my system? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Vamsi.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi Anthony,
Your posts about the importance of bacteria were very informative. Thank you for doing that. I have a 200-gallon tank, and lately, I lost a bunch of corals due to elevated phosphate at 2 something (Hanna checker) and Nitrate at 64 PPM using red sea kit. So started using GFO at 1/4 the dosage and bringing the phosphate down. This evening I checked it is .95. The colors on some of the bleached corals seem to be improving. Would using any of the zeovit products benefit my system? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Vamsi.
The reason I suspect lack of bacteria is because I was looking for a cause for tank crash and Sps dying. The only thing is different between now and back when we can get live rock is bacteria source. I remember in the 90 we didn't have this type of problem may be lacking of colors but if your tank is more than a year old u can keep Sps with no problems. Now even 2 years old tank still struggling keeping Sps so the only thing that missing is bacteria source. Live rock from the ocean carry multistrain of bacteria which multiple and benefit your tank.
If u want to try zeovit then do the core which is zeobak, zeostart3 and sponge power. U can see how I dose it from here

Vamsi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I suspect lack of bacteria is because I was looking for a cause for tank crash and Sps dying. The only thing is different between now and back when we can get live rock is bacteria source. I remember in the 90 we didn't have this type of problem may be lacking of colors but if your tank is more than a year old u can keep Sps with no problems. Now even 2 years old tank still struggling keeping Sps so the only thing that missing is bacteria source. Live rock from the ocean carry multistrain of bacteria which multiple and benefit your tank.
If u want to try zeovit then do the core which is zeobak, zeostart3 and sponge power. U can see how I dose it from here

Thank you, checking now.

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Whats the difference between the two? Is the zeofood just a carbon source?
Zeofood is more like food for the bacteria Coral vitalizer is food for corals. However the bacteria has plenty of food in the tank to eat so I feel it's a waste to dose zeofood.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthony I live near a guy who has 150 gallon tank about 5 years old. all his sps seem to die lately. Start at the base and just go upwards. His alk stays steady around 8.4-9 via a KH director. Grows cheato like crazy, but I’m not sure of his nutrients recently. About a month ago his p04 was .024 I think and nitrate about 10 he said.
he started with dry rock, but it’s been in the system for 5 years. One thing I find odd is his inability to grow coralline algae, nit sure if there is a connection or not.
any ideas.

corey

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anthony I live near a guy who has 150 gallon tank about 5 years old. all his sps seem to die lately. Start at the base and just go upwards. His alk stays steady around 8.4-9 via a KH director. Grows cheato like crazy, but I’m not sure of his nutrients recently. About a month ago his p04 was .024 I think and nitrate about 10 he said.
he started with dry rock, but it’s been in the system for 5 years. One thing I find odd is his inability to grow coralline algae, nit sure if there is a connection or not.
any ideas.

corey
What's his maintenance routine? I have some rocks that CANNOT grow coralline either. It's kind of annoying. PO4 is 0.024?

OP
OP
ycnibrc

ycnibrc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
any ideas.

corey
If all parameters are good then we need to look outside the box. If he start with dry rock and never introduce any type of bacteria then his tank is lacking of bacteria diversity. In the old day we bought wild colony of Coral which carry multiple bacteria like live rock. Now a days we buy 3/4" frag. If his parameter is stable then u can ask him to try dosing bacteria for 6 months and see if the condition will improve. If he wants to try zeo then zeobak, zeostart3 and sponge power are the core combo for bacteria source.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back