Why do anemones split?

Singlefin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Defense mechanism. Way to keep the species alive in the wild. I have a friend that has one that just splits every 3 months even though his tank is stable and clean. I had a huge one that I had to transfer to another tank in an emergency. A few days later it split.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey cool now you have two! :) Any pics?

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 2 reasons* that an anemone will split -- one is good and the other is bad.

If conditions are good and the anemone has extra energy it will take that extra energy into producing a clone -- to advance the species.

However, if conditions are poor, the anemone will take its last remaining bits of energy to split -- the purpose in being that the clone will be able to find better conditions.

* --- there can be short term poor/different conditions that cause a split; a newly introduced one, parameters are pretty different, a short term spike -- pH, temps, salinity, etc. I would still consider these as part of the 2nd reason -- not ideal conditions.

Similar causes will happen with anemones that only reproduce sexually -- have had an S. haddoni stress spawn in the past.

The important thing is to figure out if you had a good split or a bad one -- if a bad one, fix the situation.

Last edited:

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are 2 reasons* that an anemone will split -- one is good and the other is bad.

If conditions are good and the anemone has extra energy it will take that extra energy into producing a clone -- to advance the species.

However, if conditions are poor, the anemone will take its last remaining bits of energy to split -- the purpose in being that the clone will be able to find better conditions.

* --- there can be short term poor/different conditions that cause a split; a newly introduced one, parameters are pretty different, a short term spike -- pH, temps, salinity, etc. I would still consider these as part of the 2nd reason -- not ideal conditions.

Similar causes will happen with anemones that only reproduce sexually -- have had an S. haddoni stress spawn in the past.

The important thing is to figure out if you had a good split or a bad one -- if a bad one, fix the situation.
couldn't said it any better. 1smile1

Singlefin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad mine split. It was huge. Bad lighting probably added to its size. They are doing way better in the new tank. Hopefully I won't have two huge ones. This is before the split.
avyqe5uh.jpg

bella127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my RBTA makes a decision to move up the glass , Mr. MP40W ES has a lot to say to when its time for a split. Happens all the time . Now I just let him stay in the wetside and use one of spares for the flow

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1356280391.300115.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1356280391.300115.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 1,307

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my RBTA makes a decision to move up the glass , Mr. MP40W ES has a lot to say to when its time for a split. Happens all the time . Now I just let him stay in the wetside and use one of spares for the flow

LoL. That's one spoiled BTA. Mine sometimes get a ceramic pot but that's about it. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keen4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Came home today and my rose bta split. It was so beautiful and growing. I turned my ATO knob (manual) a little too open. 1 drip per 2 seconds and the salinity dropped to 1.017 from 1.027. So sick of this bobble ato crap. So I ordered a Black Friday Tunze osmolator 3155. Its been 6 months and I still cant figure out how exactly to tune this stock ato line in the Red Sea reefer 350. Its quite dry here in DT Los Angeles.

Dkman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We started with one, now we have 13. Water tests are always stable, lighting by LED Hydra52s. I noticed splitting more after I fed pieces of shrimp. I am now cutting down on the portions to see if they will stop splitting. They are taking over my 150 gal tank. They are all huge and most now have their bubbles back.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 65 37.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back