WHY do we use black silicone in Reefering??

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
even tho I am just at the stocking stages for a new new RS650P I am kida thinking about the other nano upgrade now :O

long story short I am attracted to the clear silicone aquariums like the planted FW peeps use. so I got to wondering why do we reefers use/buy tank with the black silicone?
is it cleaner? show the colarline algae less?
figured there must be a reason or is it just a fad that stuck?

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is a practical reason, my guess would be to minimize algae growth over the silicone and to make it easier to see when you're getting close to the edges of your seams inside the tank with your algae scraper. That, and personal aesthetics.

hhaase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's really just personal preference and aesthetics. It came into vogue with rimless and eurobraced tanks, probably to make them look a bit more high-end than your traditional marineland tank with clear silicone and fake woodgrain plastic rims top and bottom.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two reasons for me:

1. Combined with a black background, it really pops marine fish and coral colors.

2. Clear silicone discolors over time with algae, medications and other factors turning yellow over time. Black just stays black.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there is a practical reason, my guess would be to minimize algae growth over the silicone and to make it easier to see when you're getting close to the edges of your seams inside the tank with your algae scraper. That, and personal aesthetics.

this was my thoughts too.

just did not want the alage to grow on the silicone and wish I got black.

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this was my thoughts too.

just did not want the alage to grow on the silicone and wish I got black.

Yeah... though truthfully, I don't know if the color of silicone actually has any impact on algae growth... just spitballing as to whether there was anything to black silicone other than aesthetics. :)

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two reasons for me:

1. Combined with a black background, it really pops marine fish and coral colors.

2. Clear silicone discolors over time with algae, medications and other factors turning yellow over time. Black just stays black.

for this build if I het the go ahead for the other half will have blue back ground I like that just feels happier and more tropical.

now the 2nd point does have me concerned...I prop. will not med. in the tank but we all know how plans go some times.
I deff. dont want the yellow silicone...yuck

I wonder if lighting will make a difference in that? as I will be using lowish light

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe @joe@glassgages can chime in here?
I know they offer both black and clear.

any feed back on the clear silicone turning yellow over time in a reef and if so how long are we talking about here?

if anyone can tag other builders that would be cool to. :D

zoaprince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a UNS 60U that has clear silicone and after 1.5 years it is still clear. It looks really great. I've also had the quetsion as to why reefing companies use black. Imo clear looks better. Black silicone takes away from the immersion.

zoaprince

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my latest custom build, although 3’ish years old, I actually decided on clear. I feel like it allows light to be able to illuminate the silicone and the edges of the glass and almost makes them “glow”.
Yes! I absolutely love that glow.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back