Why don’t they do good?

SourAngelfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason, certain corals always do terrible in my tank. I’ve had my Kenya tree, gsp, Palythoas, and hammer coral for months now, but every time I put in zoanthids and mushrooms they always end up dying, my Params are definitely stable. Could there be any specific reason why?

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some reason, certain corals always do terrible in my tank. I’ve had my Kenya tree, gsp, Palythoas, and hammer coral for months now, but every time I put in zoanthids and mushrooms they always end up dying, my Params are definitely stable. Could there be any specific reason why?

That is a fair amount of toxic byproducts from the other soft corals. Do you run carbon at all?
Even just for 1 week out of 4?
Hammers and frogspawn are about the easiest LPS.

Our flame angelfish eats the zoas. The paly's are the only ones we can keep.
Zoas in general can be more sensitive. The paly's and Kenya tree are the next best thing to plastic.

But our shrooms are fine.
What type of shrooms are you trying? Yuma? They are not known for being very sturdy without slow dark light acclimation.

What fish do you have?

What are your parameters?
Possibly a trace element deficiency?

OP
OP
SourAngelfish

SourAngelfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run carbon, and none of my fish are known for picking at corals, the main problem I’ve seen with mushrooms is that the Urchin always bulldozes them since I get them tiny, could that be the main problem? After the Urchin moves them around I usually find them all shriveled up and they never grow back. It’s just confusing because they usually just fall apart even after I glued them down where the Urchin couldn’t move them. I just wanted to make sure my parameters weren’t the problem. All of my parameters are at the recommended level but my nitrates will shift from 6-4 every once in a while. I forgot to mention that I do have one frag of zoas on my rocks doing well. The mushrooms are discosoma I believe.

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run carbon, and none of my fish are known for picking at corals, the main problem I’ve seen with mushrooms is that the Urchin always bulldozes them since I get them tiny, could that be the main problem? After the Urchin moves them around I usually find them all shriveled up and they never grow back. It’s just confusing because they usually just fall apart even after I glued them down where the Urchin couldn’t move them. I just wanted to make sure my parameters weren’t the problem. All of my parameters are at the recommended level but my nitrates will shift from 6-4 every once in a while. I forgot to mention that I do have one frag of zoas on my rocks doing well. The mushrooms are discosoma I believe.
The normal routine with mushrooms is to get a cup 1" full of small rubble on the bottom and wait a few weeks for the mushrooms to attach to the rubble. Yeah, they will attach to the cup too. Kind of shift them around a little to help prevent that.
Then pick them both up and glue the rubble to the rocks.
Keep the cup in low flow or cover with panty hose or something inert to prevent the mushrooms from blowing out until they are attached to the rubble.

Gluing the mushrooms (or most softies) directly usually doesn't work too well.

Some people use a rubber band and rubble on other softies, but make sure it is almost so loose it isn't working to hold them in place.
Otherwise they kinda get cut in 2.
And then maybe fall off.
Again.

Lol, ask me how I know this.
[emoji23]

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back