Why don't most aquarium setups have a canopy/lid?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best thing about fish is that they don’t usually evaporate or flip their lids when another Reefer walks by.

My reef is open lid no screen and my fish (acrylic) tank has lids to cover the fishes launch pad. Both tanks evaporate and the reef has an ato and a calcium reactor to handle stability of associated parameters. I’m still critically unstable myself but I try to listen to people to understand why they do what they do. I learn things that way.

The fish tank keeps fish healthy and the reef isn’t that bad either.

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot find any canopies on your site?
Right now they are only available as selected options on Tenecor Aquariums. We are waiting on new equipment and will be offering them as standard sizes. For now, if you need one, please contact us at [email protected] with your request. We offer several options depending on what you are looking for.

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot find any canopies on your site?
This is a design we call the “Bikini”. It is an aluminum T Slot frame with light mounts running the entire length. The vertical mounts are also t slot and are designed for our magnum stands but we are working on a universal mount that can attach to almost any wood stand. Adjustable up/down. The designer skins will be offered in several dozen colors and wood grains as well as acrylics and our resin composite core with aluminum skins. Optional cover. This design is awesome as it “floats” over the tank, supported only by the two uprights in the back. MSRP starts at a little over $100 for the smallest size. We will be introducing this at the same time as our ParMatrix reef lights, prime equivalents for less than half the cost. With five year warranties.
6369B58F-1B5E-4A1F-8C9C-53610E530BF7.jpeg

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like canopies are skipped for a more “modern” aesthetic.

After nearly a decade of having tanks without a canopy I’m starting to change my opinion. The light spillage is really starting to bother me.

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like canopies are skipped for a more “modern” aesthetic.

After nearly a decade of having tanks without a canopy I’m starting to change my opinion. The light spillage is really starting to bother me.
Agree. Especially with the newer high output. TBH, the top well advertising glass tanks would have a tough time offering a good canopy option. One Chinese company makes almost all of them anyway and simply rebrands them. Canopies would require a complete rethink of the base design

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aesthetics...I love the "infinity pool" look of my 100g open top (no eurobrace).
You must also like a lot of fish jerky
Must have adequate lid if you keep certain fish. Infinity edge defiantly will loose some fish. That and selection of the jump less.

Marcom12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to hide the lights. I can build a decent canopy, it’s not terrible. Just wouldn’t mind a decent one I could buy. Looks like I’m building another one for my tank upgrade. ‍♂️

Tenecor Aquariums

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Floating canopys look really clean and reduce light spill. I love them!

But I would never use something to decrease gas exchange like a glass lid or fully enclosed thing. Plus LED's need good air flow. However you can have a non floating one that still has good air flow and so on... and some people have those too. They are just more custom.

Most tanks that are packages (red sea, IM, CADE, waterbox, etc) are rimless hence they don't bother with canopy's.
Has anyone put a canopy on one of these rimless tanks? One brand already has a reputation of blowing out. Wondering how you glass guys support the canopy on the edge of a rimless.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One loss in two years. I'll take the risk for the reward. :)
Honestly, I do commend you for that. I have a lid and in 3 years I’ve had 2 losses to jumping (Albeit both were known jumpers). My first loss was during feeding time and it was a Flashing tilefish, and my second loss was when introducing my Regal Angel to the tank which was my Hybrid Flasher Wrasse (In the span of 2 weeks i unfortunately lost both hybrid fish I had).

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone put a canopy on one of these rimless tanks? One brand already has a reputation of blowing out. Wondering how you glass guys support the canopy on the edge of a rimless.

Many want to keep the rimless look so that is where floating canopy comes in and then it doesn't sit on the glass either.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Honestly, I do commend you for that. I have a lid and in 3 years I’ve had 2 losses to jumping (Albeit both were known jumpers). My first loss was during feeding time and it was a Flashing tilefish, and my second loss was when introducing my Regal Angel to the tank which was my Hybrid Flasher Wrasse (In the span of 2 weeks i unfortunately lost both hybrid fish I had).
Two fish in two weeks...that sucks.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the type of canopy, with the heat and moisture, it can start to grow microbial growth on the under side. I modified my canopy by removing the top but leaving the sides which was the best of both worlds IMO.
Exactly what i did. I just mounted a light bar behind mine and you can even see it but my canopy is completely open.

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Years ago I had a hood with MH lights. Access was difficult. Had to buy an expensive and energy wasting chiller. Didn't get enough evaporation for my kalkwasser top off water to keep alkalinity up. I do like the look of many hoods but some just make it all look too massive for my taste. Don't really like the light fixtures exposed so I did mine as pictured.
That's sick. I wish i could build stuff.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 29.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back