why dose PRODIBIO BIODIGEST.

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TO ALL that dose this or other bacteria supplments.? i got some pre dosing questions before i start dumping it in. I have trust issues so "THE JUST DO IT" mentailty triggers me. HAHAHHA

328866744_892990208488218_2539996392650221772_n.jpg

I think I understand the intent is to compete with the embalance of bad bacteria. this was the reason for the purchase...However

1. why do you dose it, if the tank looks fantasic?
2. is it just good maintenance?
3. What is BAD bacteria?
4. where does it come from?
5. what are the signs that i would need to combat BAD bacteria OR Have Bad bacteria?
6. Do i just assume i have BAD bacteria. and start dumping it in? rule of thumb in this hobby is "DO NOT DOSE UNLESS YOU TEST" can you test to determine the need for adding BACTERIA supplments.
7. BI weekly dosing tells me that the fight against Bad bacteria is a losing battle. thus the requirement for bi weekly dosing. is this correct? refer back to question 4.
8. what are signs that its working or has worked for you?

thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TO ALL that dose this? i got questions before i start dosing. I have trust issues so "THE JUST DO IT" mentailty triggers me. HAHAHHA

328866744_892990208488218_2539996392650221772_n.jpg

I think I understand the intent is to compete with the embalance of bad bacteria. However.

1. why do you dose it, if the tank looks fantasic?
2. is it just good maintenance?
3. What is BAD bacteria? where does it
4. what are the signs that i would need to combat BAD bacteria OR Have Bad bacteria?
5. Do i just assume i have BAD bacteria. and start dumping it in? rule of thumb in this hobby is "DO NOT DOSE UNLESS YOU TEST" can you test to determine the need for adding BACTERIA supplments.
6. BI weekly dosing tells me that the fight Bad bacteria is a losing badly. thus the requirement for bi weekly dosing. is this correct?

thanks in advance.
I have hung back from dosing bacteria because there just isn’t scientific data to support it. The case for dosing bacteria is as weak or weaker than that for human supplements and probiotics. This type of product is in my “snake oil“ category of products just under Big Foot sightings.

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hahahahaha--- “snake oil“ category of products just under Big Foot sightings.---- good one.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never need that nor use it in any reef angle. I would never recommend it to jobs done in chat, it's not harmful, its among the litany of feel good products available for purchase.

Last edited:

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't answer the question, however, I can attest to positive results in a previous sps tank after dosing biotim and biodigest. Increased PE, Increase in growth tips, more phosphorescence in coral tissue. Why? Don't know. Increased water clarity? Lower nutrients? Feeding corals? It certainly increases skimmer performance after dosing.

mcgullen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done 16s sequencing on Prodibio BioDigest and it does not contain any nitrifying bacteria in the strict sense.

I ran multiple tests with the product, hoping to see it lows NH4 with the help of carbon dosing and phosphate. It does not work.

I am currently running tests to see whether it lowers nitrates and phosphate with the help of organic carbon (ethanol and sucrose tested so far). It is not working. Nitrates even went down. Nitrite never showed up. Phosphate never changed.

So far the product is useless for me. See my lasteat thread for details.

I am going to test acetate as carbon source next. If it still doesn’t work, I would personally think Prodibio BioDigest is snake oil.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from disease causing bacteria and Cyanobacteria as a pest, I’m not sure what would constitute “bad bacteria”.
I usually judge bacteria on their voting record in local elections. I am strictly benthic party. Pelagic party members are just jerks.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done 16s sequencing on Prodibio BioDigest and it does not contain any nitrifying bacteria in the strict sense.

I ran multiple tests with the product, hoping to see it lows NH4 with the help of carbon dosing and phosphate. It does not work.

I am currently running tests to see whether it lowers nitrates and phosphate with the help of organic carbon (ethanol and sucrose tested so far). It is not working. Nitrates even went down. Nitrite never showed up. Phosphate never changed.

So far the product is useless for me. See my lasteat thread for details.

I am going to test acetate as carbon source next. If it still doesn’t work, I would personally think Prodibio BioDigest is snake oil.
Following.

Even if bottled bacteria actually did something in a test tube does not mean it does anything in an aquarium. This part of the probiotic story that seems like a Big Foot sighting.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let’s say an aquabiomics report a mile deep and detailed was provided in order to reinforce validity of prodibio

would that sway us into selling it to our peers? Not me

I want to see before and after pics pre and post prodibio before I’ll cross sell it in my chats and work threads

we do sell cycling bacteria to our peers that’s for sure, and no AB report was needed

we do it for the obvious benefit of bioload carry when compared to adding fish, feeding fish, in dry start systems that have no inoculation. I view aquabiomics testing with the exact skepticism mentioned here for vial-based bacterial products.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is, but I've never recommended it to anyone and I've never used it in a cycling work thread

I prefer the big three: Dr Tims, biospira and fritz

Those allowed me to cycle reef tanks for friends by an exact date for thousands of instances

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dno what to think of it as I have used it for 6months. At first I noticed improvements in the overall cleanliness of the system. Now I’m battling ULN so I’m stopping future doses. I’m not contributing the ULN to strictly the Prodibio as I have other potential reasons for it.

I chose Prodibio due to ease of use. I’m leaning more towards the Tropic Marin products if I choose to continue aiding my systems bacteria. I’m at the 2.5yr mark so I might just let it go at this stage

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dno what to think of it as I have used it for 6months. At first I noticed improvements in the overall cleanliness of the system. Now I’m battling ULN so I’m stopping future doses. I’m not contributing the ULN to strictly the Prodibio as I have other potential reasons for it.

I chose Prodibio due to ease of use. I’m leaning more towards the Tropic Marin products if I choose to continue aiding my systems bacteria. I’m at the 2.5yr mark so I might just let it go at this stage
I am interested in your observation of “overall cleanliness” improvement. What did you actually see before and after?

I ask because I am running studies with multiple model (0.2 L) aquaria. Just finished an 8 aquaria study and will shortly end a 12 aquaria study. Dosing bacteria is on my list of things to study. I have no clear idea what I should expect to see or what I should measure to determine whether the bacteria are “working”.

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am interested in your observation of “overall cleanliness” improvement. What did you actually see before and after?

I ask because I am running studies with multiple model (0.2 L) aquaria. Just finished an 8 aquaria study and will shortly end a 12 aquaria study. Dosing bacteria is on my list of things to study. I have no clear idea what I should expect to see or what I should measure to determine whether the bacteria are “working”.
Around the one month mark of using the Bioptim and Biodigest I went from cleaning my glass 3 times a week to needing it done once a week and that was barely necessary. My fleece roller was pulling out darker matter as well. My Neros and Gyres were not building up with gunk as fast either. I also found that my skimmer was not gunked as usual on my regular maintenance.

my system wasn’t a mess by any means when I started. I’ve used the brightwell products for a majority of this systems existence but wanted to try Prodibio out based on the ease of use and frequency.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would in some ways equate constantly adding bacteria such as Biodigest with organic carbon dosing.

In both methods, bacteria are increasing in the water and potentially taking up nutrients, trace elements, and maybe reducing levels of other organic matter.

iamacat

Higher than my pH
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would in some ways equate constantly adding bacteria such as Biodigest with organic carbon dosing.

In both methods, bacteria are increasing in the water and potentially taking up nutrients, trace elements, and maybe reducing levels of other organic matter.
That what I am finding and learning.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Around the one month mark of using the Bioptim and Biodigest I went from cleaning my glass 3 times a week to needing it done once a week and that was barely necessary. My fleece roller was pulling out darker matter as well. My Neros and Gyres were not building up with gunk as fast either. I also found that my skimmer was not gunked as usual on my regular maintenance.

my system wasn’t a mess by any means when I started. I’ve used the brightwell products for a majority of this systems existence but wanted to try Prodibio out based on the ease of use and frequency.
Thank you very much for the info. This gives me some ideas for how to try to look for an effect.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are you making the assumption that Biodigest is doing something that aquarium bacteria cannot do without carbon dosing?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back